ROFR Thread April to June 2018 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calculator---$95-$22325-235-SSR-Oct-0/17, 9/18, 235/19-Seller pays closing- sent 4/30

Taken 30th May

Totally not judging here, genuinely curious. I know you folks don't know me so you might otherwise take this question the wrong way, hence the disclaimer ;)

I see contracts being bought - here, elsewhere, and just by watching broker pages - that have no points coming for sometimes 18 months or even longer. What is the thought process behind that transaction? For us, it was important to find a contract as loaded up with points as possible so as to begin using the membership we are going to be paying for as soon as the cash leaves our hot little hands. I'm not looking at any contracts that will not have points coming by June of next year, preferably April or sooner. So I'm genuinely interested to know why you would buy something today that you couldn't use for so long. Why not wait?

Thanks for indulging the noob ;)

You got a superb deal! Don't second guess. Start spending points!
It's funny how that works. My contract, currently on D1 of ROFR, is heavily loaded and a smaller-ish contract. Given those two things, DH and I felt the higher price was fair (and really, still do). But as soon as the counter offer came in, I found myself wondering if I should have started lower LOL. I hate things that involve negotiation. In the end I think both sides question if they could have done better, no matter how briefly.

I know I got a great deal and was sure it would be taken, but the minute Disney passef I started to question the deal. I'm still happy and know I saved at least 15K versus buying direct, which I couldn't afford, but there's still that doubt.

I was very surprised to see the final documents and realize that my seller was not waking away with any money, like less than $500. I don't know when they purchased but hopefully they were able to get some benefits beige having to sell

Totally not judging here, genuinely curious. I know you folks don't know me so you might otherwise take this question the wrong way, hence the disclaimer ;)

I see contracts being bought - here, elsewhere, and just by watching broker pages - that have no points coming for sometimes 18 months or even longer. What is the thought process behind that transaction? For us, it was important to find a contract as loaded up with points as possible so as to begin using the membership we are going to be paying for as soon as the cash leaves our hot little hands. I'm not looking at any contracts that will not have points coming by June of next year, preferably April or sooner. So I'm genuinely interested to know why you would buy something today that you couldn't use for so long. Why not wait?

For us, being from the UK, we'd be doing 1 trip every couple of years. With no plans to go there for at least 2 years. It brings the initial buy in cost to a lower amount making it more affordable.

That's stinky. Sorry to hear. Hope you find the perfect one soon.
That's it for us now. We've tried and failed for 3 months, each time waiting until at least day 30. We don't want to waste another 1, 2 or 3 months waiting on the ROFR process whilst we affectively have tens of thousands of dollars tied up in a pending status.

Disappointed but it obviously wasn't meant to be.

Looks like we'll be getting a new bathroom instead, how fun.

Calculator---$95-$22325-235-SSR-Oct-0/17, 9/18, 235/19-Seller pays closing- sent 4/30

Taken 30th May
That's crazy! I'd say mine that passed was a at least the same if not a "better" deal.
wings91---$95-$25900-250-SSR-Jun-0/17, 500/18, 250/19- sent 5/4, passed 5/23
It's just so random what they pass or take. I hope you find another good one!

That's it for us now. We've tried and failed for 3 months, each time waiting until at least day 30. We don't want to waste another 1, 2 or 3 months waiting on the ROFR process whilst we affectively have tens of thousands of dollars tied up in a pending status.

Disappointed but it obviously wasn't meant to be.

Looks like we'll be getting a new bathroom instead, how fun.

Well, honestly that *can* be kind of fun. I've done that too - interestingly one year it was instead of WDW (by force, not choice, as we had a plumbing issue arise)

Best to you.

For us, being from the UK, we'd be doing 1 trip every couple of years. With no plans to go there for at least 2 years. It brings the initial buy in cost to a lower amount making it more affordable.
That makes sense I guess. Good to hear other perspectives! Thanks :)

Last week we had a lot of notices on Wed...and I think the week before. I also noticed that the “pass” notices are taking as long as the “taken” notices in some cases. I am only at day 18 so I am just going to sit back and maybe get worried at day 29 lol.
When I was waiting on ROFR a little over a year ago I actually plotted out the days of the week people heard, trying to predict when I might hear, I can laugh about it now, but at the time I guess I was a tad obsessed :rolleyes1

Just having the points doesn’t mean you can use them - if you were just getting access to your points now it’d be hard to find availability for next fall/Dec. for example, so if some one doesn’t plan to use points for awhile the lower price for a stripped contract plus not paying MFs which can save another $6 or more per point can make sense.
In my case last year I was adding on and didn’t need the points right away and I was buying VGF and wanted to match my existing use year and it took a long time for any suitable contract to even show up for sale, so I was prepared to offer on any suitable VGF contract - the one I got had a few more points than I’d planned on and actually had points to be used, but if it hadn’t I would still have been interested because VGF resale contracts are hard to find.

In my case last year I was adding on and didn’t need the points right away and I was buying VGF and wanted to match my existing use year and it took a long time for any suitable contract to even show up for sale, so I was prepared to offer on any suitable VGF contract - the one I got had a few more points than I’d planned on and actually had points to be used, but if it hadn’t I would still have been interested because VGF resale contracts are hard to find.

My position as well. I'm on Day 13 of ROFR limbo with a VGF contract that has 6 points (!!) coming this August. But we aren't really needing the points until our Aug 2019 UY, so we will just bank the 6 and plan another trip between Aug 2019-July 2020. I also don't think the sellers are walking away with anything - they need to pay off their mortgage.

We're just adding on, so the points we have now are covering our next two trips. The next planned trip isn't until the end of next year, so we could afford to wait for a cheaper contract, and it didn't matter that it won't have points for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter