Rides with a Cane

Also, if by some rare chance you have to get evacuated from a ride, it’s best to have your cane with you depending on how many flights of stairs you have to go down/up.
I know I’d be absolutely screwed if I was evacuated in the back of even a flat ride like Runaway Railroad if i didn’t have cane. I’d need someone to walk me in like an old lady crossing the street. I have very poor balance that progressively gets worse the longer I stand & walk.

When I've been in that situation, I'd just throw my cane in my backpack or hang it on the handlebars if it's one of those foldable ones. If those don't work, you could get creative and strap it onto the scooter somehow.

When I've been in that situation, I'd just throw my cane in my backpack or hang it on the handlebars if it's one of those foldable ones. If those don't work, you could get creative and strap it onto the scooter somehow.
I have a sling tube (it’s a soft nylon material so not heavy) that buckles around the seat back and cane goes in to it. Want to say it was like $20 on Amazon and it really does hold it in place and is much easier to tote around without having to continually fold/unfold

I know I’d be absolutely screwed if I was evacuated in the back of even a flat ride like Runaway Railroad if i didn’t have cane. I’d need someone to walk me in like an old lady crossing the street. I have very poor balance that progressively gets worse the longer I stand & walk.

I agree with others about taking the cane. But I can tell you about when we were evacuated from Runaway Railway. We boarded at the pull out car as my Mom needs extra time for the step down now. We stopped in the part where each car is about to go over the waterfall. Cast members started at the far end of the ride evacuating the cars. Got to our car and asked if someone had a wheelchair or ECV as they knew it was the pull off car. We said we did and they said someone with a wheelchair will be there to get us off in a few minutes. And true to their word, cast members with a wheelchair showed up and got us off the ride and we actually beat everyone else back to the station as it was a long line for everyone else coming off slowly and being held in the line.

I agree with others about taking the cane. But I can tell you about when we were evacuated from Runaway Railway. We boarded at the pull out car as my Mom needs extra time for the step down now. We stopped in the part where each car is about to go over the waterfall. Cast members started at the far end of the ride evacuating the cars. Got to our car and asked if someone had a wheelchair or ECV as they knew it was the pull off car. We said we did and they said someone with a wheelchair will be there to get us off in a few minutes. And true to their word, cast members with a wheelchair showed up and got us off the ride and we actually beat everyone else back to the station as it was a long line for everyone else coming off slowly and being held in the line.

Thanks so much for sharing your story, I can't walk more than 1-2 steps, even with a cane and I always worried about what would happen if we were evacuated from a ride. Now I feel better-Thanks!

Really? I've never seen another purple one. But now I'm thinking I should have a new color.
There's three of them in my social group alone. Maybe we're all unusual, I don't know. Hurrycanes are popular and purple is the only feminine color they come in. If you're worried, just wrap a strip of colorful duct tape around the cane.

Someone accidentally grabbing my cane is not even on the list of stuff I worry about, let alone a priority. If cost isn't a major concern, and I assume it's not since you mentioned perhaps buying a new cane just due the color, then you could always have two canes and keep the backup folded and tucked away, just in case.

I have a second one myself, also purple, for if I lose mine or forget it or it breaks, whatever. There's been a few incidents where I came into a restaurant, parked my scooter at the door and used the cane to hobble to my table, and then the scooter was brought to the table afterwards so I didn't have to walk back. And in the scuffle of grabbing my phone and purse and Mickey ears and bag of leftovers and making sure I didn't leave my credit card on the table and having a friend heave me up from my chair, I just didn't notice my cane hiding behind the chairs and drove off without it. Someone's always noticed it missing pretty quickly and gotten it back, but you never know.

I make a point of having a backup of anything that I absolutely need, when possible to do so.

I have a sling tube (it’s a soft nylon material so not heavy) that buckles around the seat back and cane goes in to it. Want to say it was like $20 on Amazon and it really does hold it in place and is much easier to tote around without having to continually fold/unfold
OK, so I have to know - does it look like it could hold a lightsaber as well? 🤔

There's three of them in my social group alone. Maybe we're all unusual, I don't know. Hurrycanes are popular and purple is the only feminine color they come in. If you're worried, just wrap a strip of colorful duct tape around the cane.

Someone accidentally grabbing my cane is not even on the list of stuff I worry about, let alone a priority. If cost isn't a major concern, and I assume it's not since you mentioned perhaps buying a new cane just due the color, then you could always have two canes and keep the backup folded and tucked away, just in case.

I have a second one myself, also purple, for if I lose mine or forget it or it breaks, whatever. There's been a few incidents where I came into a restaurant, parked my scooter at the door and used the cane to hobble to my table, and then the scooter was brought to the table afterwards so I didn't have to walk back. And in the scuffle of grabbing my phone and purse and Mickey ears and bag of leftovers and making sure I didn't leave my credit card on the table and having a friend heave me up from my chair, I just didn't notice my cane hiding behind the chairs and drove off without it. Someone's always noticed it missing pretty quickly and gotten it back, but you never know.

I make a point of having a backup of anything that I absolutely need, when possible to do so.

Maybe we need to get you an AirTag with a strap on it to hang off the cane! LOL at least you could find it quickly and easily then!

I have a small backpack that I hang over the back of the scooter's chair, and I just tuck my cane so it's between the pack and the chair. The pack straps hold it there pretty securely. It's the type of cane that has rubber feet, so I tuck it right side up and snug the bottom under the chair (between underside of chair and top of battery) so it can't slide downwards. In 6 years of annual Disney trips it has never once come loose or even slipped at all.
I do it this way because nearly every cane holder I've seen requires that you fold up the cane. Pretty damn stupid, since if I folded the cane it wouldn't need a holder! Folded it fits right in the basket, but I don't have the dexterity in my hands to easily fold and unfold so that's not an option. The few holders I've seen for unfolded canes are tube-likes that don't work for canes with tripod feet.

Yeah, it would only work for straight cane.

I don’t have the use of fingers on one hand so folding is hard for me too. I found like the single telescoping cane on Amazon and use that. It requires using 2 fingers to push 2 buttons at same time to collapse it. Of course it also only is a straight cane so wouldn’t help much. I do wish I found a true custom cane company out there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter