Rides Breaking Down

Today, FEA was down as well as Gran Fiesta tour--- and btw are they ever going to fix the camera situation at SE? Or is our "Future" just a stick-figure now-- ?

Until they get around to the reno that was supposed to start a couple years ago, we're probably stuck with it.

I respectfully disagree. As a DVC owner and yearly visitor since 1992 I can attest to the fact that rides are going down more. Much, MUCH more.
Ok, I should clarify, because you have a point. But they’ve always broken down quite a bit. However, it’s been more extensive downtimes, especially post covid. Things did not like being woken up from their quarantine hibernation. I guess I was thinking more about OP’s question of why they’re hearing more about it. I find it funny when blogs report downtimes or evacs because it really does happen a lot, but it’s always happened quite a lot, it’s just now “breaking news” (pun intended ;))

Not sure how it was in the past but...

August 2021 trip
Rise of the Resistance broke down and we got stuck in the pre-ride vehicle for a good 20 minutes - then we were evacuated.

January 2022 trip
7 Dwarves Mine Train broke down right after we used our ILL. It was down for at least 2-3 hours, maybe longer.
Mount Everest out of service for renovation
Splash Mountain out of service for renovation
Hagrid's down from 11 AM through park close at Universal. Never got to ride it. Sad.
Word to the wise. Go to the rest room before getting on rides:rolleyes1

Sky way has beeb in service a short time (last year) and already shut down for maintenance

check the wait time on the app. it seems there are "temp closed" A LOT. The other night there were 10 rides closed at once in MK. I starting to think it may be motivated by crowd control

Okay, acknowledging up front that everyone's experiences may vary. But as local APs who are in the parks multiple times per week, we are not experiencing any higher rate of actual ride break downs -- in fact, we've personally been experiencing less than in the past. Now as for ride pauses, or temporary shutdowns due to guest related issues, those are happening as often and, in some cases, even more often than in past years. We've very rarely been walked off of a ride that genuinely went down because of an issue with the ride system itself. While that does happen, it doesn't appear to be the cause of the majority of ride stops or shutdowns. We have experienced ride pauses and shutdowns due to guests dropping items out of their ride vehicle. Stormy weather (especially when there are lightning strikes in the area) will result in numerous rides needing to shut down temporarily for safety reasons. We've been on rides where a guest (usually a child who kept telling their parent they did not want to ride) totally lost their composure, and the ride had to be stopped to remove them for their own safety. And we've experienced stops or even been walked off due to a guest becoming ill and causing the need for a deep cleaning of a vehicle (which can take a while). Then there are the many times that omni mover style attractions need to slow down or pause for a time to load/unload a guest with mobility issues (or because a guest has fallen on the moving walkway at load/unload zones). We often overhear guests complaining that Haunted Mansion kept 'breaking down' during their ride, when in fact it was simply paused to accommodate a guest's need to transfer between their wheelchair and the ride vehicle. I have to agree with those who mentioned that these things have always occurred, but we are more aware of them now because of Genie and easily visible wait times, and due to social media posts.

We often overhear guests complaining that Haunted Mansion kept 'breaking down' during their ride, when in fact it was simply paused to accommodate a guest's need to transfer between their wheelchair and the ride vehicle. I have to agree with those who mentioned that these things have always occurred, but we are more aware of them now because of Genie and easily visible wait times, and due to social media posts.

I've wondered for a while how much of the feeling of increased breakdowns folks are feeling is due to those little pauses and not actual breakdowns.

TOT also has more of those pauses, mainly at the end of the ride before reaching the unload door. Twice we’ve sat in the dark for a few minutes until they finally moved our vehicle.

Why I think the reason why Disney Parks are having so much ride breakdowns lately is ever since the parks reopened after so long during the pandemic they have been trying to get everything back in working order and since most of the original staff has either quit or retired Disney Parks have been training new workers to fill the jobs left by the original workers and so that's why so many rides are prone to breakdowns lately. And it's not only the rides but the parades and shows as well. Take for example have you noticed that when you a parade the sound system may not always work? And the show gets cancelled until it's fixed. It's the exact same thing with rides and what would work is that at any time the ride is closed due to a breakdown Disney Parks should offer guests gift cards and toys for the kids. Because there is nothing worse than waiting in line to ride a certain ride and then finding out that it's closed due to breakdowns and you'll have kids freaking out and whining and crying that they cannot ride that ride

Why I think the reason why Disney Parks are having so much ride breakdowns lately is ever since the parks reopened after so long during the pandemic they have been trying to get everything back in working order and since most of the original staff has either quit or retired Disney Parks have been training new workers to fill the jobs left by the original workers and so that's why so many rides are prone to breakdowns lately. And it's not only the rides but the parades and shows as well. Take for example have you noticed that when you a parade the sound system may not always work? And the show gets cancelled until it's fixed. It's the exact same thing with rides and what would work is that at any time the ride is closed due to a breakdown Disney Parks should offer guests gift cards and toys for the kids. Because there is nothing worse than waiting in line to ride a certain ride and then finding out that it's closed due to breakdowns and you'll have kids freaking out and whining and crying that they cannot ride that ride
If they offered a toy for every time a kid cries they would go bankrupt. Kids crying on rides because it's too much for them for whatever reason is 100% on their parents.
Maybe the parents should give me a gift card because I have to put with their crying kid 🤔 :rotfl:

Okay, acknowledging up front that everyone's experiences may vary. But as local APs who are in the parks multiple times per week, we are not experiencing any higher rate of actual ride break downs -- in fact, we've personally been experiencing less than in the past. Now as for ride pauses, or temporary shutdowns due to guest related issues, those are happening as often and, in some cases, even more often than in past years. We've very rarely been walked off of a ride that genuinely went down because of an issue with the ride system itself. While that does happen, it doesn't appear to be the cause of the majority of ride stops or shutdowns. We have experienced ride pauses and shutdowns due to guests dropping items out of their ride vehicle. Stormy weather (especially when there are lightning strikes in the area) will result in numerous rides needing to shut down temporarily for safety reasons. We've been on rides where a guest (usually a child who kept telling their parent they did not want to ride) totally lost their composure, and the ride had to be stopped to remove them for their own safety. And we've experienced stops or even been walked off due to a guest becoming ill and causing the need for a deep cleaning of a vehicle (which can take a while). Then there are the many times that omni mover style attractions need to slow down or pause for a time to load/unload a guest with mobility issues (or because a guest has fallen on the moving walkway at load/unload zones). We often overhear guests complaining that Haunted Mansion kept 'breaking down' during their ride, when in fact it was simply paused to accommodate a guest's need to transfer between their wheelchair and the ride vehicle. I have to agree with those who mentioned that these things have always occurred, but we are more aware of them now because of Genie and easily visible wait times, and due to social media posts.
This is very intriguing, I wonder if it means Disney is now more accessible to disabled guests that it was before or if it's simply that more ppl are aware of their accomodations.

Are rides really breaking down as much as I am hearing? Has it always been this bad or is it getting worse? What do you think is the underlying issue here?
I am late responding back again to this thread, but waited until I could provide photos to back up what I have to say...

Many of the unscheduled maintenance or sudden down times (aside from temporary pauses, where the ride then resumes) are due to guests losing items onto ride tracks or into the ride mechanisms. As local APs who are in the parks frequently, we see it happen. CMs caution guests to please remove hats or sunglasses or Minnie ears from their heads and place into the storage areas. Unfortunately, guests frequently choose to ignore the CM warnings, and items fly off or are dropped during the ride experience.

I've personally caught a hat out of the air (more than once) as it flew past my face when a guest seated in front of me chose to keep their hat on their head on Splash Mountain. We've also seen lost hats and glasses on the floor inside of MMRR, in the Tornado room... and on the floor inside of Remy's. We've also experienced the occasional ride emergency shutdown due to a guest attempting to exit, or exiting a ride vehicle during the attraction.

One recent morning, we walked over to Splash Mountain in MK only to find it was down for an unscheduled maintenance. And we quickly saw why it had gone down. A CM was busy removing hats that had become lodged in the workings of one of the smaller lift hills, due to Guests who failed to heed the CM warnings.

Attachments

• IMG_8750.JPG
    IMG_8750.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 39
I am late responding back again to this thread, but waited until I could provide photos to back up what I have to say...

Many of the unscheduled maintenance or sudden down times (aside from temporary pauses, where the ride then resumes) are due to guests losing items onto ride tracks or into the ride mechanisms. As local APs who are in the parks frequently, we see it happen. CMs caution guests to please remove hats or sunglasses or Minnie ears from their heads and place into the storage areas. Unfortunately, guests frequently choose to ignore the CM warnings, and items fly off or are dropped during the ride experience.

I've personally caught a hat out of the air (more than once) as it flew past my face when a guest seated in front of me chose to keep their hat on their head on Splash Mountain. We've also seen lost hats and glasses on the floor inside of MMRR, in the Tornado room... and on the floor inside of Remy's. We've also experienced the occasional ride emergency shutdown due to a guest attempting to exit, or exiting a ride vehicle during the attraction.

One recent morning, we walked over to Splash Mountain in MK only to find it was down for an unscheduled maintenance. And we quickly saw why it had gone down. A CM was busy removing hats that had become lodged in the workings of one of the smaller lift hills, due to Guests who failed to heed the CM warnings.
That is an impressive amount of hats for something I assume they do daily.

I also wonder about the added weight when Disney allows guests to bring their backpacks onto the rides. This could be adding to the problem over the years. Kinda like the airplanes that have weight bearing mechanics to control . I know it sounds silly but sometimes a simple answers can help .
But you are right That is a lot of hats clogging the system!

We Just got back from a 4 day trip - OBB the first afternoon and then DLR, DLR, and then DCA.

I was prepared for disappointment - and as soon as we got to the first ride my DD wanted to go on (Snow White), whad’ya know?! It’s closed. A couple of rows of people, so they must’ve been down for a while as lots of people left. This was at 10am.

We rode the Carousel, then jumped in the line for SW as they had reopened it.

5 min of waiting, and they announced it was closing again. We waited in line, and it was running about 10 min later.

Not a great start and I was very fearful for the rest of the trip.

Over the next three days, we encountered 1 other broken ride (Jungle Cruise). 15 min delay while they towed a boat. Otherwise, no ride stoppages, besides short ones which I assume were just assisted loading/unloading. We didn’t ride Indy, or any of the rollercoasters, but rode pretty much everything else. Even did ROTR twice. (Can’t believe I spent $150 to ride it twice - but when your 5YO DD has a new favorite ride…)

I was pretty happily surprised, and we had a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter