ride closure question - FP compensation?

On our last trip (Week after Thanksgiving 2016), around 1/3 of the rides we wanted to go on had problems. To be honest, I had never seen so many rides having problems. I was really wondering if Disney is now practicing "deferred maintenance" to save money? If so, its not a good sign.

Winnie the Pooh was down during the entire time of our FP. When we went back during the next time we were near by, when the blue light lit up, the CM said "Ok, tell me a story why you couldn't use your Fastpass." To be honest, I was taken back by his attitude. In the past, when this is happened, the CMs have sent us through. I looked him in the eye and said "your ride was down when we tried to use our FP." He didn't say another word, and sent us through.

wow I would have not been nice if he talked to me like that. I would have said what you said in a snarky as hell tone. I just don't get this. Its only been like 5 years since I was last at Disney and Cast Members were never snotty or rude. What the heck happened!?

wow I would have not been nice if he talked to me like that. I would have said what you said in a snarky as hell tone. I just don't get this. Its only been like 5 years since I was last at Disney and Cast Members were never snotty or rude. What the heck happened!?

Our first trip last year was in Feb-March 2016. We found the attitude of the CMs to be fantastic! Very helpful and pleasant. When we went back after Thanksgiving, I don't know what had changed in 8 months, but it was different from the first day we went to the first park. It seems like we ran into quite a few grumpy or smart alec CMs while were there there. Don't get me wrong, there were some good ones, but it seemed like more grumpy ones that time than ever before!

And, don't get me started on the CMs that couldn't figure out how to keep a standby line moving. For example, at PotC, I counted over 250 FP guests through while standby had to wait. And that was only starting to count after several minutes of waiting!

I am all for not complaining about CMs for everything they do, but when a situation like this occurs, you should take note of a name, date and time and make Disney aware. This is not acceptable behavior for CMs and being ugly is indeed frowned upon by management.

I supposed I should have complained, but I figured my answer put him in his place and solved the issue.

We're planning on going back to WDW in 2018. Sadly, its going to be the last trip for a while (after a job change, can't afford to go regularly anymore.) I'm not going to be looking for grumpy cast members and broken down rides, and I really hope they don't find me!

And, don't get me started on the CMs that couldn't figure out how to keep a standby line moving. For example, at PotC, I counted over 250 FP guests through while standby had to wait. And that was only starting to count after several minutes of waiting!

That’s actually correct and not at all surprising. First priority is given to FP+ and if the FP line gets too backed up, upwards of 90% of capacity is given to FP holders. I believe typically it’s 70-75%. Sometimes the standby line is held for several minutes in order to get the FP line down.

Last edited:
In a past trip, we were next to get on 7DMT when they shut it down for weather (lightning in the area). When I asked the CM what happens now, her response was to wait or get out of the line with no paper FP. My daughter and grandson were waiting for us (rider switch used by me and granddaughter) so we got out of line to meet up with them. Should the CM have given me a paper FP? I know it's too late to do anything now, but would like to know if it should happen again in the future.

There is a process for this at each ride. It is adjusted as needed for downtime for FP+ or if FP+ line is shorter and SB longer. My DD worked at Soarin' and believe me she heard lots of very nasty SB guests shout out and call CMs names. She was often placed at FP+ first scan because she could handle the scammers and the FP+ merge because she didn't let the guests get to her. She even had to replace CMs who were brought to tears by guests. FP+ will have priority over SB.

Pirates often runs into issues and has lines impacted. Actually when running smooth one side is for each, but when SB get really long they also send them over on the FP+ side. It may not be that the CMs "couldn't figure it out" but they were proceeding as instructed. And 250 guests is only 10 boats ... with 50 boats ...

[QUOTE="dreiwhit, post: 58393445, member: 573949"

That’s actually correct and not at all surprising. First priority is given to FP+ and if the FP line gets too backed up, upwards of 90% of capacity is given to FP holders. I believe typically it’s 70-75%. Sometimes the standby line is held for several minutes in order to get the FP line down.[/QUOTE]

if anybody wants to see the breakdown, I saw a chart on the FP+ merge point on the stand at NRJ the other day, it was interesting :) (so they would probably be on all the merge point computers, not knowing where they are on all the stations though haha)

That’s actually correct and not at all surprising. First priority is given to FP+ and if the FP line gets too backed up, upwards of 90% of capacity is given to FP holders. I believe typically it’s 70-75%. Sometimes the standby line is held for several minutes in order to get the FP line down.

if anybody wants to see the breakdown, I saw a chart on the FP+ merge point on the stand at NRJ the other day, it was interesting :) (so they would probably be on all the merge point computers, not knowing where they are on all the stations though haha)

FWIW, the FP line wasn't backed up. There were many periods of time where no FP guest were coming down the line. Or, if they did come, it was one or two people or up to 4 at a time. IMHO, the CM could have done a better job mixing in standby and FP guests - i've seen other CMs do a better job.

Last edited:
I've seen that chart a lot, some rides put it visible and some must keep it out of sight. Tried to snap a pic of it but was unsuccessful getting one that was readable since it's in a color chart, the color areas are hard to read when it's not a good pic

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter