Resin/Epoxy? for photo charms

Falltime

Mouseketeer
I bought some photo charms the other day and want to make a charm bracelet. There is no glass covering on the charms and from looking at ones on ebay people say they put resin or epoxy over the pictures. I have never used resin/epoxy before... is resin/epoxy the same thing? and also what's a good brand to buy? does it dry to hard surface? is there a problem with bubbles?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

You can buy the resin epoxy at Hobby Lobby's, Michaels etc. They are normally referred to as 2 part epoxy resins because you have to mix part A and then part B and it has a chemical reaction that will make it hard. I have only mixed them in disposable paper products to make sure I don't ruin anything. What I can tell you I don't like is the kit that comes with the melting pot heating element that you can buy at craft stores. The Melting Pot itself is OK - but the plastic crystal stuff dries really yellow.

Hope this helps - I am looking forward to hearing other peoples responses and maybe getting some more professional tips!

I have made several photo bracelets and I use a liquid called Glossy Accents. It's made by the Ranger Ink Co. and can usually be found with the stamping/scrapbooking supplies. It comes in a 2 oz. bottle. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby, but have seen it at Michaels and Archivers (the scrapbook store).

The liquid comes out clear and then dries to a very hard, clear, glossy finish... it's perfect for putting over photos b/c it stays clear and doesn't yellow. It's also very easy to use b/c there is no mixing involved like with some epoxies.

There is another liquid out there called Diamond Glaze, but I have found that it is harder to find in stores.

Does Glossy Accents or Diamond Glaze get all those air bubbles when you pour it on?

I took an epoxy resin class & we used the 2 part epoxy, (the regular - NOT the 5 minute stuff,) and as we were mixing it, it got a whole bunch of air bubbles in it, no matter how carefully we mixed. Then we had to put the piece under a heat lamp. which was supposed to bring the air bubbles to the surface & pop. Wasn't always successful. A piece can look hideous with all those bubbles underneath. Then we had to take various roughness-es of water sandpaper & sand the top until smooth, under water, as the resin particles are dangerous to breathe. It was way too much work for something that was iffy to begin with because of the unpredictability of the bubbles.

Thanks for all the tips! I just got a lot of small charm frames in too and can't wait to use them in something!

Then we had to put the piece under a heat lamp. which was supposed to bring the air bubbles to the surface & pop.

On the box of the epoxy resin I got @ Michael's it actually says that it is the carbon dioxide that causes the air bubbles to come to the surface, not heat. A friend of mine suggested using a short straw to blow on it (just don't breath in through it). ;)

Glossy Accents and Diamond Glaze rarely have bubbles in them. The important thing to remember is DON'T SHAKE THE BOTTLE! That is what causes the bubbles in them. Also, when the Glossy Accents comes out of the bottle, it is very milky-looking (but dries clear), so the bubbles are very easy to see when the glaze is wet. Just pop them or "chase them" out with a straight pin.

Thanks for all the responses.

I have used diamond glaze before on other projects however it is just a gloss and I want something that will dry to be a really hard surface like glass/plastic and that will make it so the picture won't get damaged from water, scratching etc.

Sounds like the 2 part epoxy stuff is what I should use?

Glossy Accents DOES dry hard. I have made several photo bracelets and have used Glossy Accents on all of them. When it dries, it is a nice, hard, plastic-like finish that completely encases the photo. The photo does not get wet or fall out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter