• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rental ECV Battery Range; Spare battery; in-park charge times

CVW

DIS Veteran
My wife is in good shape, but underwent major knee surgery and will require an ECV.

Do any of the rental companies have the option of a second/spare battery that I could bring into the park? (To put in a locker, etc.) The company I talked with (Buena Vista) does not offer that, and states that the battery will function for six hours.

Six hours won't be enough for her.

My options, tell me which ones are reasonable:

1) Find a rental that will let us rent a second battery.

2) Rely on charging in the park on a 110 outlet. (I'm pessimistic, given that charging time will likely exceed our desired time to stay put.)

3) Charge when and where we can, and transfer to crutches for limited touring until the ECV is charged.

4) Just relax, go back to the condo after six hours and hang out at the pool. (NOT her preference.)

Thanks.

The s otter should last all day if you
Do one thing and turn it off when sitting for more then 3 seconds like waiting in line what if for the parade deciding on what to do next. There are plugs that you can use to top off the battery like when you are having lunch or dinner but you should be fine

You will be fine. Just turn it off when you aren’t using it like the pp said. I rented for years before I bought my own and never had one with a dead battery. You will have a cord that you can plug in when you are having meals or taking a break.

I know it lasts more than 6 hours, at least the Buena Vista one I had did. I know because one night I forgot to recharge it and went to the parks for about 3 hours anyways. The only reason we came back after 3 hours was because DGDs were tired. I'd gone at least 6 hours the previous day.

Someone mentioned Gold Mobility earlier this week & I looked at their web page. They advertise "free upgraded extended length batteries". I'm calling later today to check them out further & reserve a scooter if I like what I hear. Their advertised prices are cheaper than Buena Vista & offer the same (+ more) of the services, they just aren't "Disney Approved".

They are talking about 6 hours run time, which doesn’t include the time you are sitting still.

During a day in the park, you likely won’t have 6 hours when you are runnng it.

Other important considerations
- how fast you are going; the faster your average speed, the more battery power it uses.
- driving habits. Keeping it on rabbit (fast) and constantly having to stop uses more power than staying a moderate speed.
- weight. The different ECVs are rated for different weights. Obviously, carrying a higher weight uses more power. So, choose the ECV based on weight and be sure to figure in all the things you may be carrying.
If you are close to the weight cutoff for a model, choose the next size up. It will have a bigger battery and more power.

I’ve rented from Buena Vista the last 4 trips. The only time my battery got low was when I forgot to charge it overnight. Otherwise the battery meter was still almost full by days end and we always spend longer than 6 hours in the parks. I now have a personal scooter just like the one I’ve rented and we went to our local park last weekend - went from 10-8 and battery barely budged.

You can get heavy duty rental scooters. Those will come with two batteries. Pride Victory is one model of such a scooter. My husband goes 250 pounds and he can get a long day use with making sure you shut the scooter off at shows, parades and fireworks. Sometimes, when having a table service meal we will find a place to charge to give the battery a little boost. There are even stronger scooters you can rent, but they will cost more to rent.

You can rent a Disney scooter at a higher cost if you can get to the park. You have to weigh the extra cost against being more protected if your battery goes dead. You can use a wheelchair if necessary to get to the park. Disney will hold the wheelchair for you at scooter rental. If the battery were to die with a Disney scooter you can easily get a replacement there. If you are going at a busy time you do run the risk of Disney park scooters getting sold out. Most will arrive early to the park to make sure this does not happen.

Last edited:
they just aren't "Disney Approved".
No medical equipment rental company is Disney approved. Five such companies are "Featured" because they pay a fee to Disney in order to use Bell Services as the drop off point. Many, many, many excellent companies are willing to exchange the rentals directly with the renter.

'Approved' implies a status which simply doesn't exist.
Sometimes, when having a table service meal we will find a place to charge to give the battery a little boost.
Check with the rental company or manufacturer before doing this. Topping off can actually be damaging to the battery.

@CVW - Regardless of who you rent from, keep the following tips in mind (some are recaps from above)

If you remember nothing else, charge the battery overnight, every night. Starting the day with a completely charged battery gives you (yes, I know you aren't the rider, but bear with me. It's late, and I'm tired and pronouns are tiresome tonight! LOL) the longest possible run time.

As others have said, the number one thing you can do to extend battery life is simply turn off the scooter when it will not be moving for more than 10 seconds. Seriously. Sitting in line? Turn it off. Watching a parade? Turn it off. Eating a meal? Turn it off. Watching a show, riding a ride, parked on the bus? You get the idea.

How long a battery lasts can be affected by a LOT of factors. Those can include (but are not limited to)

- What is the age of the battery, and the number of "charge cycles" it has gone through?

- Was the battery fully charged when starting the day?

- The total weight load of the ECV (so, ECV + rider + any accessories/bags/shopping, etc. on board)

- Ambient temperature

- Hills, slopes, ramps, inclines and curb cuts

- If the rider practices "good battery hygiene" (turning off the scooter (+ any built-in lights) whenever they are stopped for more than a few seconds - like watching a parade, eating a meal or snack, sitting in a line, riding the bus, etc.) This strategy is very effective, simply because there is no "lag" when you need to turn the scooter back on; it's instantly ready to run again.

A great example is the ramp at Wilderness Lodge: Every time you go DOWN the ramp from the Lobby to Roaring Forks, you can "coast" - the ECV doesn't have to work quite as hard because it only has to engage the clutch to act like a brake as you make your way down.

When you go back UP that ramp... Now the ECV has to draw a lot of electricity from the battery to pull (or push, depending on which wheel(s) get power) that ECV + the rider + anything else on board back up those honkin' big ramps! I swear I hear my personal ECV let out a sigh of relief at the top of the ramps every time! LOL

Same idea when you go DOWN to the buses from the Lobby at WL - and back UP again at the end of the day.

Here's what you have to look at with that "6 hours" that you were quoted:

- First of all, most vendors will understate the amount of time you can expect from the battery. That way, if the battery runs longer, you are pleasantly surprised.

- Typically, that number (in this case 6 hours) is what's called "run time". That refers to the actual time that the ECV is turned on and in motion, and "stand by time" is anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 times the actual time it is turned on, but not being used. So, let's say you start the morning at WL. You drive a total of 12 minutes from your room to breakfast at Roaring Fork, and then out the Lobby and down to the bus. You turn off the ECV while you are eating, and again while you are waiting for the bus. The bus comes, you drive the ECV on, turn it off again, and go to MK. When you get to MK, let's say that it takes 20 minutes to get off the bus, through security, and to Starbucks on Main Street, where you sit in line to order your coffee. So far, your total run time on that battery is 32 minutes - but if you started at 8:00 am, it took 6 minutes to get to RF, another 3 minutes to order food, breakfast took 30 minutes, 3 minutes up the ramp, across the Lobby and down to the buses, wait for the bus for 15 minutes, 10 minutes to load the bus and drive to MK, and another 20 at MK to unload the bus, get through Security, scan your Magic Band, and make your way to Starbucks. It's almost 9:30 am, but you only have 32 minutes of run time on the battery so far - because much of the last hour and a half was spent eating, waiting on the bus, sitting on the bus, etc., and like a good little ECV driver, you made sure the ECV what turned off when it was just sitting in one spot!

- 6 hours is an *average* number - based on a rider of an *average* size, on *average* terrain. That's why all of those factors I listed up there matter. Let's say that the ECV's manufacturer rated that battery at 6 hours when it is new, fully charged, with a 150 pound person on it (and no other items, like heavy purses or bags, or shopping bags, etc.) and moving over level, flat ground.

You can certainly take along the battery charger that you are supplied with, but you may find that you can make a whole day and not need to use it! The biggest, most important thing you can do is to make sure you charge the ECV battery EVERY NIGHT TO 100%.

Yes, there is a very small percentage of people who have had battery issues with rental ECVs. But if you look at the overall number of ECV rentals in Orlando in a given week/month/year, the number of people who have battery problems is quite small compared to the number of rentals total. And quite frankly, there is always going to be a certain number of people who forget to charge the ECV, or who forget to turn it off once they turn it on in the morning, or who try to haul around everyones purses, water bottles and shopping. Or they try to save money by renting a standard size scooter, when they should be on a heavy-duty unit for larger folks.

If you need to charge up the battery while you are in the Parks or at Disney Springs, simply ask a Cast Member to help you find a nearby outlet. Never just plug in to any outlet you see, as we have heard that some outlets in the Parks and Disney Springs are no longer standard 110, and this will result in damage to the battery, and possibly the charger, and there is even a remote chance of damaging the electronics of the scooter as well.

A standard scooter, with a standard battery should go all day, just fine. Thousands of people do it every day at Disney World. If for some reason the battery doesn't last all day, stop and call your vendor ASAP so that you don't lose too much of your vacation time waiting around on battery issues.

No medical equipment rental company is Disney approved. Five such companies are "Featured" because they pay a fee to Disney in order to use Bell Services as the drop off point. Many, many, many excellent companies are willing to exchange the rentals directly with the renter.

'Approved' implies a status which simply doesn't exist.

Check with the rental company or manufacturer before doing this. Topping off can actually be damaging to the battery.

Sorry, "Disney Featured" rental company.

You couldn't know :) it's a serious irritant, at least to me. That was my typical rant; i use some version of it whenever anybody - however unintentionally - misconstrues what the Disney designation means.

The companies had to apply and not all that applied were approved.
The issue it was meant to solve for Disney was decreasing the huge number of companies delivering to the resort and leaving them either Bell Services for pick up/drop off. Some companies were not quick to pick up after the customer was done with it. There were also liability issues for Disney where customers said they dropped it off and the company said they did not receive it.
Disney wanted to get down to a manageable number of companies they dealt with on a regular basis.

The companies had a list of requirements from Disney they had to meet in order to apply for the privilege of being able to drop off and pick up without meeting with the customer. Things like size and type of ECV, age of their ‘fleet’, when/how quickly they would pick up and drop off were included in the application.

Some companies (like Randy’s ) chose not to apply because they had always met with the customer for drop off and pick up and didn’t wish to change.

You couldn't know :) it's a serious irritant, at least to me. That was my typical rant; i use some version of it whenever anybody - however unintentionally - misconstrues what the Disney designation means.

Clarification is always good & generally doesn't happen when you're typing a reply on the fly. The devil is always in the details!

I've always rented from Apple, so can't speak to the other companies, but I've spent countless 12-14 hour park days and done plenty of park hopping without recharge. Never had a meter go down below 75% even at the end of the day. I plug them in all night regardless, but 6 hours seems unreasonable. I think they are being very conservative with that estimate. You can always carry the charger in the pouch on the chair if you are concerned. There are outlets here and there in all the parks.

When I had to rent for a few months about a decade ago I used my ECV all day for lots of long days with no battery issues ever.

I now own my own ECV, but it is a very low budget model with a weenie battery. Yesterday I used it for 8 hours straight with minimal stopping (no rides). The battery was down to its last button.

But the rental ECVs have much more robust batteries. I’m okay with only having 8 hours on my personal ECV because I never have more than 8 hours in me.

Possibly amusing anectdote...

One of the first things I tackled for a friend was what I thought would be a limited runtime on her powerchair. I stripped her chairs lead acid Batts and created a L-ion storage system hybrid with an alcohol fuel internal combustion engine charging Dynamo. It was a work of beauty. Practically noiseless and zero odor. It would charge her batteries to full in a couple hours combined run time.

First trip to the park with the new setup, we were there all day and it never signaled that it wanted to kick up the engine. I had drastically over estimated how much juice a day in the park would eat up.

I've still got that little Dynamo on my shelf. If she ever wants to go tour the national parks or something, or kit up for 'walks' on the beach, things that really drain the power plant maybe it will get some use.

One of the first things I tackled for a friend was what I thought would be a limited runtime on her powerchair. I stripped her chairs lead acid Batts and created a L-ion storage system hybrid with an alcohol fuel internal combustion engine charging Dynamo. It was a work of beauty. Practically noiseless and zero odor. It would charge her batteries to full in a couple hours combined run time.

First trip to the park with the new setup, we were there all day and it never signaled that it wanted to kick up the engine. I had drastically over estimated how much juice a day in the park would eat up.

I've still got that little Dynamo on my shelf. If she ever wants to go tour the national parks or something, or kit up for 'walks' on the beach, things that really drain the power plant maybe it will get some use.

:::shaking my head::: LOL you are my favorite mad genius! :)

Combustion engines are allowed in WDW?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter