Remember when?: Disney Restaurants

I don't have the years of Disney trips as some of you, we have been 5 times over the last 7 or 8 years.

BUT, Harbor House did have a ham ans swiss with slaw that I thought was a great sandwich for a table service. Alas, when we were there last, it was off the menu.

OMGosh we had a Magic Kingdom Club card!!! We got it thru a Credit Union!! I don't remember what we got with it..a discount I know but it was sooo cool!:cool1:

:flower3:

I remember the Magic Kingdom Club card! It was such fun planning trips when the new club brochure came out!

Here's a meal I remember that has not been around for many years: Afternoon Tea served at the Rose and Crown! Best deal in WDW at the time - it was $10! :scared1: For that $10 you got the full tea service they now offer at the GF for around $30.

Back in the 1980's when DTD was called the Disney Village there was a simple fast food restaurant right behind that crazy looking orange slide. As a kid I remember those being the best burgers ever complete with a soda and a paper straw.

The Disney Village also used to have all original shops. There was a grocery shop/deli that had gourmet cheeses, candies and snacks. I remember we used to go there on the way back to the hotel and my sisters and I would each pick out a small snack to take back to the room.

I remember as a kid eating at a restaurant at the Polynesian that was not in the main building that was a sit down place. I remember ordering a fruit cup and ham for breakfast and spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. I can't remember the name of the restaurant but it was close to the arcade or at least where the arcade was back in the late 70's earlier 80's.

OMG The Gold Key Card

I think i still have one LOL

I remember one time we took out boats with them. the CM says we only have an hour and 1/2 my dad says we have this....The CM responds we close at 7 PM have it back before that. I wish i could remember where that was. I wanna say it was where the Epcot resorts are now

We used to stay at the Vacation Villas which is now Saratoga Springs Resort so i bought a DVC membership there LOL

No one remembers the Heidelberg Deli????

I remember as a kid eating at a restaurant at the Polynesian that was not in the main building that was a sit down place. I remember ordering a fruit cup and ham for breakfast and spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. I can't remember the name of the restaurant but it was close to the arcade or at least where the arcade was back in the late 70's earlier 80's.

Tangaroa Terrace

.....I had a thought today. I remember - 1999 - having lunch at the Kona Cafe'. The fish sandwich special was described as "Sushi Grade Salmon" sandwich. I mean, wow! You will never hear about that again at a casual WDW restaurant.....gone are the days..now we get mass-produced mahi.

While dining at WDW this past weekend, I couldn't help but think of some of the take-aways that I sure miss...so....remember when.....

-Pats of butter were served over ice and had the WDW logo embossed on them?

-Chocolates were given with the check at the end of the meal?

-Many restaurants had unique little starters - - Fries when you sat down at Whispering Canyon? Cheese Bread at the Yacht Club Galley? Fried Pickles at the Grand Floridian Cafe? Etc.

-Epcot restaurants had linen tablecloths (when paying $40 for a pizza at Via Nappoli, I believe they could swing the tablecloth)?

-You could actually order a sandwich at a sit down restaurant at dinner/night, instead of being forced into a $30 entree?

Ahh the good old days :) I did the dining plan in 2007. I have been back to Disney 3 times since then and haven't stepped foot into a sit down restaurant since then and I don't intend to on our upcoming trip. Just not worth it when I remember how good they used to be.

As much criticism as Disney deserves for many things, its counter service offerings the last five years sure doesn't. It's a vast improvement – tastier and healthier – than the fried horrors offered everywhere in, say, 1986.

I agree with this. Maybe not the healthier comment because I don't eat all that healthy :rotfl2: but we used to avoid eating at the Studios counter service and would starve if we had to until we could get to Epcot. But now we're finding more different things offered like back at the Studio Catering Company. Looking forward to eating there next weekend.

And I wish we could not focus on what is gone for good. Looking back at the past does nothing.

When Earl Of Sandwich was Disney Marketplace and had freshly made salads and cold sandwiches....loved the tuna on a baguette with fresh greens.

Wish Beirgarten would go back to a menu restaurant instead of a buffet

I remember back when CL meant the CM could get you an ADR for any restaurant day of! It's a silly little perk, but my parents' schedules never allow them to plan in advance, so many of our vacations when we were younger were 'on the fly' and only planned a few weeks in advance. The first time we stayed CL it was because it was the only room they had left (and we got a great deal!), and boy were we hooked! The ability to still snag reservations at 'sold out' restaurants (Ohana, Le Cellier, etc) was the biggest perk!

Sad to see that the prices for CL are more expensive and they don't even offer the same perks as they used to... :( I'd be much more willing to pay that extra money for the ability to get last minute ADRs instead of some of their food offerings... But of course, leaving those tables open for CL guests means that if they aren't filled it's wasting table space and not making them enough money, because other guests could be eating there...

And in terms of counter service food, I never used to think it was too bad until I went to Disneyland this May, and WOW does WDW have a LONG way to go before it reaches the same level as that! DLR counter service places are incredible and have an amazing variety (and are not THAT much more expensive!).

Cool thread to read through!

Trending in this thread is (besides a cry for better quality food!) is a need for disney to quit mass producing things that should be a treat. I love disney, and while it is a place for kids, it's also a place for adults, and dinner time doesn't always need to be filled with characters! For me, I feel the character meals are everywhere!! There are plenty of adults who enjoy disney, and it seems it is more difficult to find a place for older crowds to enjoy than it is to get a character meal. It's neat that disney provides character meals, but I just think it should be a treat, a one time thing, not every other dinner and breakfast be filled w characters. We know what good taste is, and disney serving mediocre meals and charging $$$$, and taking away some of the little magic with the meals (candy or fun butter lol) just proves to long time disney-goers that they are more concerned about turnover and money than providing a magical and QUALITY meal.

There's plenty of no-character meals (pun intended?). Every deluxe resort boasts at least one decent to excellent restaurant.

I'm one who misses the old Akershus restaurant too. We ALWAYS ate there and now we do our best to avoid it. Luckily the cafe is still good.

The Soundstage was fun! The food wasn't great but the characters were amazing. I have tons of pics of DS with many of the characters and I remember that he has the longest chat with Phoebus one year. I never did find out what they talked about. :)

I remember when Chef Mickey's was still in Downtown Disney. I also remember when the Empress Lily has three restaurants and a bar.

The one place we always say "Hey do you remember?..." and I don't know if it has been mentioned on this thread yet was the restuarant that was on Tom Sawyer Island. I think it was called Aunt Polly's??? :confused3

My husband I went there on our first trip together in 1996 (he wasn't my husband yet though!) and we had the best icecream ever that was served in a plastic cup with a picture of the castle on it. We kept the cups for quite awhile after that. I still don't know why that icecream was so good but we raved about it (it was just soft serve I think). I think it was a really hot day and it just hit the spot being on the island looking at the water.

Anyone else remember that place?

I remember the Coral Isle Cafe (I think that's the name) at the Poly where Kona is now. I loved the long Hawaiian dresses the waitresses wore and the Monte Cristo sandwich. Gosh, I was a kid then....1972. Oh, I wanted one of those waitress dresses!

.... I'm trying to remember the name of the restaurant at the Poly next to the Neverland Club, that served Belgian Waffles, and made to order omelets for breakfast -this was not a character meal.

Tangaroa Terrace ? That was our very first ever Disney World breakfast (October 1987).

Dinner the night before was the Terrace Buffeteria in the Contemporary - which was probably located somewhere within the space of Chef Micky's and the Concourse steakhouse

...and Soundstage restaurant where Playhouse Disney is now
And the Catwalk Bar over it. We spent almost a whole afternoon there playing telephone tag with the auto repair shop and our insurance after an accident on the way to the World - the payphone just off the entrance to the BD got a lot of use that day (pre cell-phone trip)

I think I do. The place at Lake Buena Vista (now Downtown Disney)? My parents liked to go there often (and take us)....

Ahhh yes! I remember the Deli, the one before Earl of Sandwich, right? I would always get the Pastrami with tabuleh salad! I really miss that place.

I thought of another old fav....Remember the Fireworks Factory at DTD?!? Great place for a fun, casual meal.......

Oh my! The best hot wings on the planet EVER! We would go to DTD just to stop in and get the wings and cornbread.

I miss the Concourse Steakhouse the most though. I used to stop in two or three times a week on my way home from work for dinner. There's no other restaurant on property that I would consider doing that for now.

I miss breakfast at the Top of the World at CR too. It was always a little chilly, so the windows would fog up a bit, and we'd be trying to see MK through the fog, anticipating the day of fun yet to come. The strawberries and whipped cream weren't bad either!

My dad's favorite was the Le Cellier cafeteria. He loved the pork pie there. Although he liked the steakhouse conversion, he really missed the cafeteria.

I also miss Chef Mickey's at DTD. Great peach cobbler! And the fried pickles at GF Cafe . . . . those were pretty good too.

I'm hungry now . . . .:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter