Rejected Offers Thread

RIV is interesting to me, because I certainly wouldn’t want to pay more than $110 for points I can only use at one resort, but also I suspect most RIV sellers probably aren’t willing to part with their contracts for more than 30% less than they bought them for, so I would expect non-distressed sellers to rent or keep using them in hopes that prices rise in the next few years.

We are primarily Epcot folks (and also prefer DHS and AK to MK) and we like the skyliner so I keep meaning to book a couple nights at RIV to test it out in case prices dip below $100 (I may need an option post 2042, after all!) but then I see BCV or BWV or VGF or BRV is available and switch.

Good luck @Disneyjohnny!
Tbh this is why I argue for RIV direct if you actually want to own there. I know how everyone feels about resale restrictions and etc. and rightfully so. But aside from VDH there isn’t another contract that is more dissimilar from its resale counterpart and justifies the increased direct price. Not having access to the other resorts is huge and once RIV is sold out (albeit it’ll be a few more years), the sold out pricing is going to be ridiculous and you won’t be able to get a RIV contract that can be used at other resorts for a decent price compared to almost any other resale contract. I love BCV’s and BWV’s location but for younger families the extra 28 years on RIV does matter if there’s any intention of being able to pass anything down. In the meantime, I will continue to book BWV and BCV with both my resale AUL/AKV and direct RIV points even if it means 1BRs. If I can’t get it, I’m just fine staying at RIV although I’d say I’ve been pretty successful booking BWV studios thus far.

Last edited:
Tbh this is why I argue for RIV direct if you actually want to own there. I know how everyone feels about resale restrictions and etc. and rightfully so. But aside from VDH there isn’t another contract that is more dissimilar from its resale counterpart and justifies the increased direct price. Not having access to the other resorts is huge and once RIV is sold out (albeit it’ll be a few more years), the sold out pricing is going to be ridiculous and you won’t be able to get a RIV contract that can be used at other resorts for a decent price compared to almost any other resale contract. I love BCV’s and BWV’s location but for younger families the extra 28 years on RIV does matter if there’s any intention of being able to pass anything down. In the meantime, I will continue to book BWV and BCV with both my resale AUL/AKV and direct RIV points even if it means 1BRs. If I can’t get it, I’m just fine staying at RIV although I’d say I’ve been pretty successful booking BWV studios thus far.
This makes sense to me if you are fairly confident that you will hold it at least a couple decades. By the time we bought BCV, we already had enough points that will last until the late 2050s once WDW isn't our kids top vacation priority, and I'm really not certain we'll even use 500 a year long before 2042 (though I have lots of ideas for how to spend them...). I personally would like to take the majority of our vacations with Disney, but my husband prefers globetrotting to parkhopping.

I think the major risk one is taking with RIV direct is that Disney (or Florida) could make decisions to further devalue the DVC product in the next couple decades (though this risk is common to all DVC properties, being located in Florida without access to the DLR and non-park resorts makes it a little riskier). If the direct product (including flexibility to book at several resorts across at least 4 states) and parks look basically the same and you know you'll keep going to Disney for decades, I think I agree RIV direct is much smarter than RIV resale, even if you can get resale at a steep discount....but if you love RIV (and can get it resale about 100/pt, and think you'll sell it again within a decade or two), resale really caps your losses.

I think I agree RIV direct is much smarter than RIV resale, even if you can get resale at a steep discount....but if you love RIV (and can get it resale about 100/pt, and think you'll sell it again within a decade or two), resale really caps your losses.

I think you made an important point here that gets overlooked quite frequently: it makes a lot of difference in many direct vs resale comparisons whether you (want to) sell again within a couple of years or not. This is true for many DVC resorts. After a decade or two, the overall dues one has paid become a major part of the overall cost and it becomes less important how much one paid initially. It's even more important for RIV: if you buy for short term use, the losses from buying direct could be high, if you buy for long term use, the risks from buying resale (being locked into one resort) grow.

RIV is interesting to me, because I certainly wouldn’t want to pay more than $110 for points I can only use at one resort, but also I suspect most RIV sellers probably aren’t willing to part with their contracts for more than 30% less than they bought them for, so I would expect non-distressed sellers to rent or keep using them in hopes that prices rise in the next few years.

We are primarily Epcot folks (and also prefer DHS and AK to MK) and we like the skyliner so I keep meaning to book a couple nights at RIV to test it out in case prices dip below $100 (I may need an option post 2042, after all!) but then I see BCV or BWV or VGF or BRV is available and switch.

Good luck @Disneyjohnny!
Thank you!

I’m certain I’ll find RIV at a price I’m willing to pay, I’m not desperate to buy and I have a set budget. If something falls into that budget then great, if it doesn’t then that’s also fine.

This makes sense to me if you are fairly confident that you will hold it at least a couple decades. By the time we bought BCV, we already had enough points that will last until the late 2050s once WDW isn't our kids top vacation priority, and I'm really not certain we'll even use 500 a year long before 2042 (though I have lots of ideas for how to spend them...). I personally would like to take the majority of our vacations with Disney, but my husband prefers globetrotting to parkhopping.

I think the major risk one is taking with RIV direct is that Disney (or Florida) could make decisions to further devalue the DVC product in the next couple decades (though this risk is common to all DVC properties, being located in Florida without access to the DLR and non-park resorts makes it a little riskier). If the direct product (including flexibility to book at several resorts across at least 4 states) and parks look basically the same and you know you'll keep going to Disney for decades, I think I agree RIV direct is much smarter than RIV resale, even if you can get resale at a steep discount....but if you love RIV (and can get it resale about 100/pt, and think you'll sell it again within a decade or two), resale really caps your losses.
Agreed, if you have any intention of selling in the near future, in general you’re better off buying a resale contract because you can sell it back for nearly the exact same thing that you bought in for. That’s why I’ve always said if I’m going to sell, my resale AKV and AUL will be the first to go. On the other hand if you’re planning to go for a couple decades at least, there’s value to not being restricted to one resort and can be worth it since money is not the only form of value. For us I’m the theme park guy and my partner is the lazy vacation goer. I’d still like to travel the world but we’re not the type of people to go on long backpacking trips. We’re going on a trip to Japan next year, and our trip will still have a lot of focus on theme parks with multiple days at Tokyo Disney, Universal Japan and Fuji Q Highland. That’s just who we are and what we like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Agreed, if you have any intention of selling in the near future, in general you’re better off buying a resale contract because you can sell it back for nearly the exact same thing that you bought in for. That’s why I’ve always said if I’m going to sell, my resale AKV and AUL will be the first to go. On the other hand if you’re planning to go for a couple decades at least, there’s value to not being restricted to one resort and can be worth it since money is not the only form of value. For us I’m the theme park guy and my partner is the lazy vacation goer. I’d still like to travel the world but we’re not the type of people to go on long backpacking trips. We’re going on a trip to Japan next year, and our trip will still have a lot of focus on theme parks with multiple days at Tokyo Disney, Universal Japan and Fuji Q Highland. That’s just who we are and what we like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Both you and @walt34 make really excellent points that the longer you own the more it makes sense to buy direct (at one point the VGF price gap was so narrow it only made a few years of holding worthwhile, but probably for every $10 delta you want to be holding at least a few years—it may not be true for the giant contracts but for your first 150 direct points, you are likely actually making back at least a few dollars per point on dining and merch discounts each year…at least we are, lol).

Then, over a longer horizon, there are likely to be more new restricted resorts and direct points will (hopefully) get you access to all of them—so the calculation for even the original pre-RIV resorts will start looking more like RIV and VDH do today as we approach the mid 2050s and there are more shiny new towers scattered around WDW.

We’re going on a trip to Japan next year, and our trip will still have a lot of focus on theme parks with multiple days at Tokyo Disney, Universal Japan and Fuji Q Highland. That’s just who we are and what we like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
We didn’t do Fuji Q, but I strongly recommend booking tix for Universal Japan (we missed it bc tix were sold out by the time we decided to tack on Osaka) far in advance and also TDR, if you’re not staying at a Disney hotel that guarantees admission.

We didn’t do Fuji Q, but I strongly recommend booking tix for Universal Japan (we missed it bc tix were sold out by the time we decided to tack on Osaka) far in advance and also TDR, if you’re not staying at a Disney hotel that guarantees admission.
Yeahhh we’re gonna be staying at a Disney resort if we can help it. The ticket situation at TDR seems like a PITA unless you stay on property. It’s definitely going to be a splurge trip to celebrate moving from one job to the next in September of next year with a 5 day trip to Aulani to precede it. Duly noted about Universal Japan!

Yes, we love staying there, and would prefer to book at 11 months, but I am not interested in paying what the market is currently charging.
Ok, buying to stay there is the only use case that even possibly makes sense (although renting/cash are probably getting closer given the annual dues). But yeah, I definitely wouldn’t pay more than what your offer is. None of those contracts appear to be moving on any of the broker sites, I think you’ll get it eventually.

Good news to finally report. After 7 offers and ready to give up, my unicorn contract showed up for a small 50-point contract at BCV with my Feb UY at $135pp. I made a full price offer right away and it was accepted and was sent to ROFR today. As my new favorite quote says:

"Good things come to those who believe,
Better things come to those who are patient,
and the Best things come to those who don't give up!"

Good news to finally report. After 7 offers and ready to give up, my unicorn contract showed up for a small 50-point contract at BCV with my Feb UY at $135pp. I made a full price offer right away and it was accepted and was sent to ROFR today. As my new favorite quote says:

"Good things come to those who believe,
Better things come to those who are patient,
and the Best things come to those who don't give up!"
That's a great price for a small BCV contract. Congratulations and best luck in ROFR!

VGC 100 DEC, 31/100, Listed $320, Offered $230. Rejected no counter. Offered $250. Rejected no counter.

VGC 100 MAR, 62/100, listed $270, Offered $240. Rejected no counter.

AUL SUB 300 MAR 0/300, Listed $123, Offered $93, Counter $115 firm, PASS.

AUL 222 MAR, 444/222, Listed $110, Offered $90, Counter $99 firm, PASS.

AUL SUB 160 MAR, 320/160, Listed $145, Offered $120, Rejected Full Price Offers Only.

VGC 100 DEC, 31/100, Listed $320, Offered $230. Rejected no counter. Offered $250. Rejected no counter.

VGC 100 MAR, 62/100, listed $270, Offered $240. Rejected no counter.

AUL SUB 300 MAR 0/300, Listed $123, Offered $93, Counter $115 firm, PASS.

AUL 222 MAR, 444/222, Listed $110, Offered $90, Counter $99 firm, PASS.

AUL SUB 160 MAR, 320/160, Listed $145, Offered $120, Rejected Full Price Offers Only.
I’m sad we’re not the same UY so I can’t piggyback off your research.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter