• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Refridgerators in the rooms????

Favorite Auntie

<font color=red>8 Disney nieces & nephews!<br><fon
Is it true that they are in the process of replacing all the "coolers" in the rooms with real fridges?? Will it be completed in drydock? I thought those coolers were useless, and real fridges will keep DN's juice boxes nice and cold, and I may even be able to freeze a few to bring in to the ports....

I read it on a previous thread that I can't find now...it was not a thread about fridges, so I forget. Someone said they saw them "wheeling the new fridges through the halls".....:confused:

If I remember right, it was Threecircles post after their cruise. But I believe they were saying that the coolers are indeed refridgerators since they saw the electrical plugs - I think they were maybe fixing or replacing some. I could be totally off, but that is what I seem to remember.

I just got off the phone with DCL and they call the things "cooler boxes", not real refrigerators. Seems they can cool things down but cannot produce ice. They are plugged in. We needed a real refrigerator for my Mom's insulin and they will bring one to the room for medical purposes. So I can report back in October if the real refrigerator is any better.

Once again the infamous "Beverage Cooler" topic surfaces on the Dis Boards! :)

Despite their title as "Beverage Cooler," these units are indeed mini-refrigerators. As Strasfamily mentioned, I did see two of these units being wheeled down the hall during our May cruise. They do indeed having condensation coils, cooling units, fans, and electrical plugs-- all items that make them refridgerators.

They are *not* just "coolers." I do not know if the units would cool between 36 and 46 degrees F as I have never actually measured (scientifically) the temp of liquid kept inside. I can tell you that these units will keep items placed inside very cool. (Cool enough for white wine or champagne.)

If these are actual fridges, I have alway got one that stunk! I have a little one for camping and it is great, not like these at all...

That could be the case. How many cruises have you been on?

We've cruised on the Magic four times and the refridgerators have always worked fine.

Our experience with them was if you had something already cool, it would keep it cool. If it was not cool, it would stay close to the same temperature. Maybe the ones you saw being wheeled down the hall were real fridges that you can request for special needs.

The ones built in to the rooms are certainly not refrigerators. They are roughly comparable to those plug-in coolers you can buy in stores such as this: Click HERE for a link to one at Target What you two saw being wheeled were the mini fridges being provided to those who have medical needs for one.

Now, that aside, the coolers should manage to make beverages cool overnight from room tempertaure. They do not work like a normal refigerator in they do not run on a compressed gas and honestly do not have the cooling ability of a normal refigerator. They work on a 'heat pump' concept that requires a fraction of the electricity of a refigerator and still provide decent cooling.

A word of advice- anyone whose cooler will not keep beverages cool, or cool warm ones overnight needs to report it to maintainance! It certainly won't fix itself. And it's not like maintaince has the time to check each and every cooler in al lthe cabins during the turnaround. They rely on you the user of the device to report it as defective.

Now what I wrote is firsthand info. I talked to one of the maintainace people during one of our cruises and I'm an industrial maintaince mechanic, so my curiosity tends to run into the hardware anyhow :)

The other interesting fact is this: You'll be very hard pressed to find one item aboard ship: an incandesent bulb! You wont find ANY in your cabin. all the lighting in there an a large percentage aboard the ship is low voltage lighting. That's why the lights turn on and off strangely, they are runing on low voltage, as it's a lot easier to produce than 110v for everything. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the built in coolers are also low voltage, although I didn't ask then.

Originally posted by MarkRG
What you two saw being wheeled were the mini fridges being provided to those who have medical needs for one.

Um, no. I should have stressed (I guess) that what I saw were two "Beverage Coolers" being wheeled down the hall.

One such "cooler" with the "Beverage Cooler" label was facing forward, the other (on top of the first), was facing backward. This gave a clear view of both the front and the back of the unit.

As for the mechanics and internal workings of the "Beverage Coolers" I can't really speak as I know nothing about such things. I just know what I saw and what I have experienced with the units in my rooms.

;)

Well, I'm not saying you're wrong at all. What you saw was labeled Beverage Cooler and it could be a real refrigerator or it could be the type I'm describing. Naming conventions have never stuck well in any consumer industry. Both types do use cooling fins and fans to radiate the waste heat. A true refrigerator can make it really cold as in the blast of cold air when you open the door. The built in ones, no matter what name they have, simply don't have that kind of ability. I've described their limitations quite adequately above.

The term refrigerator comes from the term refrigeration which describes a process where a compressed gas called freon is used to make a coil inside the area to be cooled(your furnace, home refrigerator, car, for some examples) cold. This freon then takes the absorbed heat and radiates it elsewhere, such as the part of the units outside your house or the fins on the back/bottom of your home refrigerator.

These new 'cooler' things use a different process that eliminates the freon altogether. They do something that I won't bore you with the details of other than they use the electricity directly on some kind of special material that depending on which way you charge it can pass the heat/cold in one direction or the other, but it's a lot slower process and useless at this point for more then moderate heating/cooling.

Ok, end of boring science lesson :p

Ya more than you ever wanted to know, but you'll be able to tell the difference now :jester:

Just to add my two cents..

From experience, I agree that the 'fridges' are just coolers and keep things just below room temp if you are lucky. I also read somewhere that they do not run when in port - which obviously could make a hugh difference if you need them for medication.

Lorraine

You may have encountered a Beverage Cooler that wasn't working properly. If it was, then it would have kept the items you placed inside well below room temp!

Also, even if the Beverage Coolers used on DCL were of the kind that Mark was speaking of earlier, they would keep items inside cool. If you follow the link that Mark posted, you'll see that the "cooler" keeps contents 40 degrees below the surrounding temp. That would not be "barely below room temp."

I cruised in Nov or 2000 and January of 2003, and both times the beverage coolers did not make anything cold, they did keep things cold that were already cold though. I just thought they might be replacing them....oh well...

do these fridges keep cans of Dr.Pepper and Pepsi cold? Mom and C are bringing a stash for next Novemember(no dates known yet)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter