Red Eye

lucky978

Mouseketeer
I have a great picture (digital) of my girls I want to use for a Christmas Card. Unfortunately, they both have MAJOR red-eye.

I've used the red-eye reduction in the kodakgallery.com and snapfish.com programs, but both do a horrible job. Basically making the eyes too black.

Is there a cheap program I could get to do this? OR would anyone be willing to do this for me?

Thank you so much!!!

Jacki

Sometimes I will use the person's (or someone else in the pic) brown hair instead of the red eye feature in the software. If you want to email it to me (and hopefully others will volunteer and you can choose the best!) I will be glad to try to get that old red eye out. Barb

The redeye removel tool in Photoshop CS2 works a treat :)

The one in PaintShopPro also is very good - you can select the eye colour etc. to replace the red with :)

lucky978 said:
I have a great picture (digital) of my girls I want to use for a Christmas Card. Unfortunately, they both have MAJOR red-eye.

I've used the red-eye reduction in the kodakgallery.com and snapfish.com programs, but both do a horrible job. Basically making the eyes too black.

Is there a cheap program I could get to do this? OR would anyone be willing to do this for me?

Thank you so much!!!

Jacki
I'd be more than happy to do it for you, I just got PAint Shop Pro X and have been spending hours playing with it, the new touchup tools are awesome...

feel free to email it and I'll get rid of that ole redeye for you

Guess you have this sorted now, but if not email it on and I will do it (using CS)

Hi again,

Anyone know if it's possible to reduce red eye on an SD400? I've tried the red eye setting and auto setting, but unless you are close to your subject, devil eyes! LOL

Also, I use the red eye corrector in Photoshop CS2, but since it grays out the red, sometimes it looks a little weird...

just wondering...thanks!

If you can move the flash above or below the lens plane it will reduce the majority red eye. If the flash is built into the camera that obviously won't work.

In Photoshop, after you eliminate the red eye try using the burn tool to turn the gray darker and the eyes won't have that odd stoner look (stoner as in rock not druggy).

Jeff

thanks...that's what you get when you try to be a photographer with a p&s...

Well, I hope this is the right place to post this ... but I would like to do SOMETHING about the red eye in my pics! I do have a red-eye option on my camera and I used it. I still have quite a few (most) pics with red eye. It's VERY irritating and the thing I like least about my camera.

So ... #1 - any ideas on how to reduce it in the future? I have an Olympus C-765 Ultra Zoom

#2 - How do you edit out red-eye? I've tried to do it and failed miserably in the past.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The red eye reduction feature in your camera fires a burst of lights at the subject before firing the flash as the shutter opens and takes the picture. This "pre-flash" forces the subjects pupils to contract. You can also have the subject look at a light before you shoot. Having said that, how often are your shots so scripted to have time to ask them to do this? For me the answer is never. A problem with the red eye feature on the camera is that it usually confuses the person you're shooting-they think the picture is being snapped at the first light. Because of this I don't even use the red eye feature on my digital, I just fix it after the fact. I don't know if you've tried Picasa, but it has a very easy to use red eye remover. You just drag a box around the red eye and hit the button. If it still shows a bit red, do it one more time. It's free download. http://www.picasa.com/google/
Not sure which program you've used that gave you poor results, but I'm sure someone here can help you use it better. I like the microsoft Digital Image Suite Program too.

Yellow_Stitch said:
The red eye reduction feature in your camera fires a burst of lights at the subject before firing the flash as the shutter opens and takes the picture. This "pre-flash" forces the subjects pupils to contract. You can also have the subject look at a light before you shoot. Having said that, how often are your shots so scripted to have time to ask them to do this? For me the answer is never. A problem with the red eye feature on the camera is that it usually confuses the person you're shooting-they think the picture is being snapped at the first light. Because of this I don't even use the red eye feature on my digital, I just fix it after the fact. I don't know if you've tried Picasa, but it has a very easy to use red eye remover. You just drag a box around the red eye and hit the button. If it still shows a bit red, do it one more time. It's free download. http://www.picasa.com/google/
Not sure which program you've used that gave you poor results, but I'm sure someone here can help you use it better. I like the microsoft Digital Image Suite Program too.

When it comes to Red Eye in photographs it is totaly dependant to the angel of the flash and the lense. Just about every point and shoot camera WILL give you red eye. The red eye reduction feature on point and shoot camera are just that, REDUCTION. Its not elimination. As for how it works look at the quote above, it is described very nicely there. ;) One other problem with the red eye reduction feature is that it reduces the power of your flash leading you to a higher probablity of getting under exposed photographs. Also, with most programs on the market if the color in the eye is not red (and with digitol cameras specificly I've seen orange, yellow, and white as well as red) then they can't get rid of it. So for the most part, you are better off turning your red eye reduction off as your going to get it one way or another and it actually can screw up your photo more then help it. Not to mention the issue of peoples reaction to it as mentioned above in the quote. One more thing about red eye, people with light color eyes WILL get it alot more then people with dark color eyes. Blue eyed people and light green eyed people are almost guarenteed to get it. Now, if your shooting with an SLR camera with an external flash the angle is severely different and you are very unlikely to get red eye. Put that flash up on a bracket and your will not get it at all.

omg! pICASA IS great! i HAD IT ALREADY AND DIDN'T REALIZE i COULD USE IT FOR THIS!!! (sorry about the caps!)

I am FLYING through fixing my pics! Thanks!!!!

LOL.

Everytime I tell one of my friends about Picasa, they give the same reaction. Picasa is the win. :)

OK, I've had a couple of Olympus digital camera before this Canon S3.

The Olympus red eye flash does what I call a "pre-flash" then takes a photo a noticeably time AFTER the flash. You almost need to warn people, don't move after the flash, wait for the camera to take the photo. It does a good job of elimating red-eye.

OK, this being my first Canon....the red-eye doesn't seem to work that way. :confused3 No matter how I have the settings, the flash seems to go off right about the same time as shutter. :confused3 I haven't had any people around to test red-eye on....but all my cat pictures have bad green-eye.

So.....wondering, do I have a defective red-eye setting on my new S3? Does Canon red-eye flash just work different in timing with shutter as opposed to Olympus's pre-flash?

Maybe cat green eye has nothing to do with red-eye. If not, what can I do to avoid cat green eye.

Anyone? Thanks.

I was just at Best Buy today and when the saleman put the red eye feature on, the flash did two quick little flashes. However, he said to only use the red eye feature if you are outside or away from fluorescent lights. It is easier to fix the red eye than it is to fix what that feature will do to the coloring of your photo in odd coloring and fluorescent lighting.

2 quick little flashes? Hmmmm, hard to tell if any difference in the with & with-out red eye flashes. Would you say it was easily noticeable? But of course, now I'm blinded & can't see anything. :rotfl:

Madi100 said:
I was just at Best Buy today and when the saleman put the red eye feature on, the flash did two quick little flashes. However, he said to only use the red eye feature if you are outside or away from fluorescent lights. It is easier to fix the red eye than it is to fix what that feature will do to the coloring of your photo in odd coloring and fluorescent lighting.
???

That doesn't make any sense. To do what he's claiming, the camera would have to use a different white balance setting when the red-eye is compared to when it's not. Many cameras have a hard time adjusting to indoor lighting unless you manually set it, but red-eye shouldn't have anything to do with it - it's just supposed to shrink the pupils to make them less reflective.

The problem, as you may or may not know, comes when the flash is too close to the lens, as happens more and more with today's tiny cameras. That's why some cameras have flip-up flashes, to move them farther away from the lens. This problem gets worse as you get farther away from the subject, because of the angles.

As always, the best thing to do is know your camera - take a few test shots some time of a willing subject, and take from a few different distances, to see if the problem mostly goes away if you get close enough. Also try in different lighting - it doesn't cost anything to decide for yourself if the salesman knew what he was talking about. (I'm guessing that he didn't!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter