• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Really want to avoid use of a ECV/Scooter. Anyone use ECV in one park vs other parks?

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
I am going to try to not rent a ECV. I never have because while it may help some issues, it will create others since sitting too long agitates my neck and back, tailbone, etc. If you have spine or neck issues, does the ECV bother those issues more than walking? What park do you feel is the most difficult and that I may need an ECV and why? Any chance when I get there if I need one, I won't be able to rent (park ones or private companies)? Do they sell out?

They do sell out in the parks, so I wouldn't count on having access to one unless you bring one with you. You don't have to ride it all day. You can park it in stroller parking, etc., and walk when you need to walk. Bring a good memory foam/gel cushion to sit on for the scooter as well.

I am going to try to not rent a ECV. I never have because while it may help some issues, it will create others since sitting too long agitates my neck and back, tailbone, etc. If you have spine or neck issues, does the ECV bother those issues more than walking? What park do you feel is the most difficult and that I may need an ECV and why? Any chance when I get there if I need one, I won't be able to rent (park ones or private companies)? Do they sell out?
Your first few words reminded me of how I reacted the first time I rented a scooter. I was in a park, solo, and my back reached its limit So I made my way, slowly, to the rental location, got a scooter, then proceeded to call DH. "Guess what!" thru my tears, "I had to rent a scooter!" But you explained. I had back issues only, not the others, and nothing was worse. I've been lucky at the parks- rented at Epcot, during the Food and Wine Festival midday, then AK midday without problem. I've heard from people who've rented from private companies mid-stay.

My mom was reluctant to use a scooter the first few times. So at first, we only rented at 2 parks (AK and Epcot). And then we did our parks so it was walk one day, ride one day, etc... At that time, she rented in the parks. And after a few years, I told her that we were going to rent outside the park for the whole time to save money. She was against it (I think it was fear of the bus, but not totally sure). I told her it could stay in the room any day she wanted to walk. But no, it went with us every single day. And if she does want to walk a little, we may park it or I will ride it a bit so it is nearby when she is ready for it. Now, the scooter is just part of the scooter. It is hard to admit when it is needed, but it really is just a tool to make the trip better and not painful.

I rented an ECV from the parks mid trip for our early December weekend trip. My experience was that there was no difficulty getting a scooter at park open. However, none available when we hopped to another park in the afternoon. I would not count on availability. I’m on the fence about what I’ll do next trip; mine is a stamina issue: can’t walk 15000 steps a day. I’d rent offsite except for the fact that my daughter and son-in-law like to Uber spur of the moment, and that would be tricky with an ECV. This next trip is their trip for his family. My current plan is to start walking once the snow melts and build stamina, so I can ride in the morning and walk in the afternoon.

As others have said, there’s no reason to sit in the ECV any longer than you want to.

In my case, the ECV was easier on my back than walking. Then again, all spines are not created equal and you know your own needs best. If you spend your first day alternating between riding and walking, my guess is that by the end of the day you will know which one is harder for you.

As for individual parks, my own experience has been that EPCOT seemed to have more hills, steep ramps, and long distances between attractions than the others. Animal Kingdom may be the winner for uneven paving.

As others have said, there’s no reason to sit in the ECV any longer than you want to.

In my case, the ECV was easier on my back than walking. Then again, all spines are not created equal and you know your own needs best. If you spend your first day alternating between riding and walking, my guess is that by the end of the day you will know which one is harder for you.

As for individual parks, my own experience has been that EPCOT seemed to have more hills, steep ramps, and long distances between attractions than the others. Animal Kingdom may be the winner for uneven paving.
Uneven paving kills me

It might depend on the type of damage you have. My son has nerve damage to his spinal cord so sitting hurts him much worse than standing does. Heck he will stand even when we go to shows until the last minute when he has to sit. Anything jarring hurts him, no roller coasters any more, even the safari ride is difficult (but he does it because he loves it). In his case, the EVC doesn't work.

AK is the largest park at Disney World. So, that's probably the most important park to get a scooter.

If you arrive when the park opens you should be okay getting a park scooter. You can be put on a waiting list if necessary.

Keep in mind you don't have to use a scooter constantly. You can park it, here and there, and walk for a while. For example, whatever rides you go on walk the ride queues and park the scooter outside. If you are going with others let them drive it for a while and you can walk for a while.

Most people find themselves lasting a much longer day in the parks with a scooter. You get more value from your park ticket that way.

AK is the largest park at Disney World. So, that's probably the most important park to get a scooter.

If you arrive when the park opens you should be okay getting a park scooter. You can be put on a waiting list if necessary.

Keep in mind you don't have to use a scooter constantly. You can park it, here and there, and walk for a while. For example, whatever rides you go on walk the ride queues and park the scooter outside. If you are going with others let them drive it for a while and you can walk for a while.

Most people find themselves lasting a much longer day in the parks with a scooter. You get more value from your park ticket that way.
Just came here to talk about AK. TREMENDOUS amount of walking. I'll add Epcot behind that. I rented a scooter due to an unforeseen medical issue. I actually decided not to bring it when we went to AK. I think we did 17,000 steps. I fell asleep at 9 and didn't wake up until morning. Didn't hear my kids and husband come in from the pool and take baths, etc. I was out.

There were other days where I took the ECV in the morning, went back to the hotel, and then went back out at night without it.

My step count is highest in MK, followed by Epcot, AK, and HS. If that helps. Attractions are closest together in MK and HS , while more spread out in Epcot and AK.

It might depend on the type of damage you have. My son has nerve damage to his spinal cord so sitting hurts him much worse than standing does. Heck he will stand even when we go to shows until the last minute when he has to sit. Anything jarring hurts him, no roller coasters any more, even the safari ride is difficult (but he does it because he loves it). In his case, the EVC doesn't work.
Has he tried bringing a high quality donut/memory foam/gel cushion to sit on? I use them daily, and bring one to WDW. In the car I use a vibrating, heated seat cushion. It helps with my broken tailbone/pudendal neuralgia/PFD that gets magnified by my anxiety disorder.

Has he tried bringing a high quality donut/memory foam/gel cushion to sit on? I use them daily, and bring one to WDW. In the car I use a vibrating, heated seat cushion. It helps with my broken tailbone/pudendal neuralgia/PFD that gets magnified by my anxiety disorder.
I think it's more the actual position of seated not the hardness of the seat. I do know even in most bars that have cushioned seats at the bar, he stands instead of sits.

I think it's more the actual position of seated not the hardness of the seat. I do know even in most bars that have cushioned seats at the bar, he stands instead of sits.
I'm not talking about regular seating, I'm talking specialized seating with contour/hole in the middle/gel and/or memory foam that spreads the weight off the spine and spreads it out over the butt. I'm sitting on one right now that has added heat and massage/vibration. It's changed my life (along with PT and counseling)

Same for me. I am worried the portion of the seat will agitate my neck and back. Does the seat slide forward and backward on the scooters?

Same for me. I am worried the portion of the seat will agitate my neck and back. Does the seat slide forward and backward on the scooters?
My off-site rental scooter the seat was adjustable to move forward and back. I'd think just about all regular ECVs are adjustable. You could look up the model or ask the company if you're renting off-site. I also agree with others that you could take it to a park and park it if you don't want to use it. You could also have an adult family member operate for you so you don't get separated really far away from it and park it in each "land" Looking for parking with strollers is a good place to put it usually - sometimes there is designated ECV parking near attractions as well.

Did the SEAT adjust forward/back? Or did the tiller adjust? Most I've seen have an adjustable tiller, not the actual seat. Probably the same end result but different piece for adjustment.
I remember wanting the seat further back because I have long legs (and arms apparently) and I thought the seat moved back like a car seat would. For example I drive with my car seat as far back as it will go. The person dropping it off from Gold was like "oh yeah you do this" and he did it before I was seated on it. I don't think it would have given me more room so I don't have to bend my knees as much to keep my feet from hanging over the front if just the tiller moved. That's a good question for the rental company however if you're planning to rent.

While my physical issues are different than what you stated, I rented an offsite ECV on our last trip and that made me realize that I should have done so on past trips also. Not only was I in less pain, but I could do so much more and I wasn't holding my family back. That being said, I didn't use it 100% of the time. I would use it from the resort (or parking lot) to inside a park in whatever section we wanted to do something then I would park it and walk to whatever we wanted to do. Once we wanted to move to a different section of the park, I simply drove it there and parked it again. But then at the end of the day when the pain was worse I had it with me to leave the park which helped a lot. The offsite companies have smaller ECVs (i.e. different models) that are easier to control than the ones rented in the parks plus you also have it outside the parks. There are even some that can be taken apart and put in a car trunk. Basically all the fears and apprehension I had about using an ECV were gone within 2 minutes of trying it out.

While my physical issues are different than what you stated, I rented an offsite ECV on our last trip and that made me realize that I should have done so on past trips also. Not only was I in less pain, but I could do so much more and I wasn't holding my family back. That being said, I didn't use it 100% of the time. I would use it from the resort (or parking lot) to inside a park in whatever section we wanted to do something then I would park it and walk to whatever we wanted to do. Once we wanted to move to a different section of the park, I simply drove it there and parked it again. But then at the end of the day when the pain was worse I had it with me to leave the park which helped a lot. The offsite companies have smaller ECVs (i.e. different models) that are easier to control than the ones rented in the parks plus you also have it outside the parks. There are even some that can be taken apart and put in a car trunk. Basically all the fears and apprehension I had about using an ECV were gone within 2 minutes of trying it out.
Just worried about taking it on transit and being frustrated that I cant weave in and out of crowds, having to take it on the bus etc, or I dread maneuvering through crowds on main st. etc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter