Really Really Angry

Color me pissed at Universal as well.

We booked hotel room only in January for May 28-31, but held off booking flights till the picture was clearer.

In February, they came out with the packages, so we called on more than one occasion to verify if our May 28 date was safe for WWoHP to be open, and on all occasions were told that while an official opening date hadn't been set, WWoHP would be open by the start date of the packages, and even as a Room Only package we'd be safe to book our flights, so we did (stupidly).

I emailed Universal twice in the past couple days with specifics about my booking and what THEIR agents told me, and got the following canned response...

Hello

Thank you for contacting Universal Parks and Resorts Vacations. The grand opening for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is 6/18/10. Guests who have pre-purchased the package that features the Wizarding World of Harry Potter for travel prior to the grand opening date, will have access to the great benefits we have listed in their package. We will make special arrangements to accommodate our guests.

If you should need additional assistance, please let us know via email or you may contact a Representative at 1 800 407 4275. Representatives will be available Monday through Saturday 7:30 am to 10 pm EST and Sunday 9:00 am to 9 pm EST.
Apparently Unversal is content to lose our business, as we'll be canceling our reservation and going to Disney instead. I'm pissed enough that I don't care if we ever go back to Universal.

Color me pissed at Universal as well.

We booked hotel room only in January for May 28-31, but held off booking flights till the picture was clearer.

In February, they came out with the packages, so we called on more than one occasion to verify if our May 28 date was safe for WWoHP to be open, and on all occasions were told that while an official opening date hadn't been set, WWoHP would be open by the start date of the packages, and even as a Room Only package we'd be safe to book our flights, so we did (stupidly).

I emailed Universal twice in the past couple days with specifics about my booking and what THEIR agents told me, and got the following canned response...

Apparently Unversal is content to lose our business, as we'll be canceling our reservation and going to Disney instead. I'm pissed enough that I don't care if we ever go back to Universal.

Don't cancel. You will get preview access as onsite guests who made your onsite hotel reservation before March 25th (grand opening announcement day). You will actually be one of the LUCKY ones who get in with small crowds. But not if you cancel.

Don't cancel. You will get preview access as onsite guests who made your onsite hotel reservation before March 25th (grand opening announcement day). You will actually be one of the LUCKY ones who get in with small crowds. But not if you cancel.
I saw your post prior, but got a very different response from Universal.

I won't be keeping my reservation unless I get a written response like the one you received.

The mis-information their phone reps put out really ticks me off.

I saw your post prior, but got a very different response from Universal.

I won't be keeping my reservation unless I get a written response like the one you received.

The mis-information their phone reps put out really ticks me off.

Unfortunately, misinformation from phone reps is not unique to Universal. Check out the free dining threads at Disney and you will see that they are having the exact same problem.

My suggestion is that you email your hotel directly. The manager's name is Carlton Hudson.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2242878&referrerid=93883

Ok, I chose to not read all the pages, but I got the general idea of whats going on...

I am confused on a few things...

-Why would you book dates when the opening is not even guaranteed? When they say "Spring" thats what they are shooting for...but unforeseen issues can cause things to get pushed back. That is not something that can be controlled. I know everyone wants to be first, but if you want definite, then book for late fall or the next year..its not going anywhere anytime soon..

-Do ppl understand how small this area really is? They did not take over all of Lost Continent, just a portion...this translates into a small area...that is going to be very, very busy. I just worry that people have built an entire vacation around something that can be seen in just a few hrs...

-I have a coworker who's daughter is going to be a member of the staff at Olivanders, and she has told us that the shops are VERY small...they prices for stuff is very $$(think $30 shirts) and no discounts will be given...things will be heated I am sure...

I am not trying to be a negative Nelly. I plan to be there 6/18. I do not expect to ride anything, I just want to say I was there opening day. I am lucky and have an AP and the chance to go back again and again, I just want ppl to understand what they are getting

Just FYI, they included previously unused land in the area as well. I think it's around 20 acres total. That's 1/5 the size of the entire Magic Kingdom, for a reference comparison.

I emailed Universal about being told not to book the package since I'm a passholder. They called my husband and told him too bad but we wouldn't be able to get in. Then they sent me this email:

"Thank you for contacting Universal Orlando® Guest Services.

It was a pleasure speaking with your husband via telephone. I hope the information I provided was helpful. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to call me at (407) 224-4233, option two (2).

Again, thank you for contacting us. We look forward to your visit."

This just made me even madder. All she told him was tough we wouldn't be able to get in. I guess they don't care.

I emailed Universal about being told not to book the package since I'm a passholder. They called my husband and told him too bad but we wouldn't be able to get in. Then they sent me this email:

It was a pleasure speaking with your husband via telephone. I hope the information I provided was helpful. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to call me at (407) 224-4233, option two (2).

This just made me even madder. All she told him was tough we wouldn't be able to get in. I guess they don't care.

I'm not sure exactly what your situation is but they are not going to pre-announce soft openings and basically, unless you booked a package or have an onsite ressie before the announcement date, that is what you are asking them to do.

If they start telling everybody that, yes, you will be able to get in even though you don't have a package or booked an onsite stay before the announcement day, they will have hoards and hoards of people arriving at the park demanding to be let into the area which may not be functional for that many people. That would cause a lot more issues than the ones they have now.

I sent an e-mail stating my complaint about WWOHP only being open for hotel guest until June 18. I got a phone call, and was told sorry, that the packages were sold with the claim that they were for exclusive entrance. I told the guy that he was wrong, and I was sorry that they were treating folks like this. He didn't care (did'nt expect him to) and told me to have a nice day. They sure must have a bunch of folks working their phones.

Universal is only guaranteeing admission to people with packages/hotel guests before the preview period before June 18th. And even then, its a guarantee with a huge asterisk and fine print as there's no foretelling that the new ride will be operating fully prior to its official grand opening.

Universal is guaranteeing an opening to the public June 18th. Anything before then is "soft" and unconfirmed.

to me it seems like those who are "disappointed" never wanted to give US a chance. If you booked a trip in the hopes of something being open who's fault is it really. :confused3

Unfortunately, misinformation from phone reps is not unique to Universal. Check out the free dining threads at Disney and you will see that they are having the exact same problem.

My suggestion is that you email your hotel directly. The manager's name is Carlton Hudson.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2242878&referrerid=93883
Just wanted to update that your suggestion was a good one, much better than the generic reservations@universalorlando.com email address.

I got a thorough response from a reservations manager that cleared things up quite a bit.

Here's the important part:

I do see that you made your reservation well in advance of our Official Grand Opening date announcement. Because of which, you will be included on our guest list to be one of the few guests to experience the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in its entirety at a special preview. When you check in on the 28th of May at the Hard Rock Hotel you will be provided with the details on how you and your family will enter the preview. Universal Vacations likely will provide additional communication to you prior to your arrival but at this time we do not now when exactly that will be sent out. I do want you to feel confident that you will enjoy the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter for your length of stay along with the many other attractions we offer in Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Florida.
That's good enough for me. I'm glad to see they're developing a plan to accommodate the non-package onsite guests that booked before the official announcement as well.

It sounds like our access may be limited to just one opportunity, but it does state in it's entirety which is nice to see. This is a fair solution IMO.

So glad that worked for you.

I do honestly think though, that if the area is ready for soft openings, everyone will be let in. Hopefully we'll have some idea in the next couple of weeks how close things are to being ready. They'll probably do a few hours first thing in the morning for the package people and then open for everyone else at intervals during the day.

I really hope you're right Damo, but I am starting to worry that Universal is going to do a different kind of soft opening on this one. Here's why and I am hoping that someone will tell me I am wrong.

First, the temporary doors blocking the area are much nicer than your normal disposable construction screens. This leads me to believe they might be intended for repeated use over time. Also I have read on several sites (and the above correspondence supports) that they intend to only let a limited number of people in at a time prior to 6/18. They have even stated that they will be closed for special events prior to the public opening.

I've also heard that FJ is missing one or more components. What if they only have a few arms ready to run? That would mean they have to limit the number of guests in order to accommodate package holders, reservations made prior to 3/25, and special events. That would also mean that my hopes of getting in early are shot completely.

Please, please tell me I'm wrong so I can go back to being hopeful again . . .:cloud9:

I really hope you're right Damo, but I am starting to worry that Universal is going to do a different kind of soft opening on this one. Here's why and I am hoping that someone will tell me I am wrong.

First, the temporary doors blocking the area are much nicer than your normal disposable construction screens. This leads me to believe they might be intended for repeated use over time. Also I have read on several sites (and the above correspondence supports) that they intend to only let a limited number of people in at a time prior to 6/18. They have even stated that they will be closed for special events prior to the public opening.

I've also heard that FJ is missing one or more components. What if they only have a few arms ready to run? That would mean they have to limit the number of guests in order to accommodate package holders, reservations made prior to 3/25, and special events. That would also mean that my hopes of getting in early are shot completely.

Please, please tell me I'm wrong so I can go back to being hopeful again . . .:cloud9:

The reason I hope you are wrong is that come June 18th, there will be an absolute TON of people there. If they have only practiced with a few thousand, they will be in big, big trouble. Realistically, they should be practicing with the number of people they get on the Memorial Day weekend.

My head is spinning just reading these posts. I can see how not knowing what to expect is frustrating!! I never thought I would be thankful for 55+" of snow and 3 days tacked onto the end of the school year, but it forced us to postpone our 6/15 vacation until early Nov. Hopefully by then all the hoop-la will have calmed down a bit. (Although I would like to have said,"I was there opening day!") Good luck everyone, I hope you get to see it all!! :)

Just FYI, they included previously unused land in the area as well. I think it's around 20 acres total. That's 1/5 the size of the entire Magic Kingdom, for a reference comparison.

Most of that land is being used for Hogwarts..I know the area well, and have seen the backstage area...its really not that big IMO

(Although I would like to have said,"I was there opening day!") Good luck everyone, I hope you get to see it all!! :)

Being there on opening day may be good for a brag or two but the reality is unbelievably long waits in line. We went to the grand opening of Shrek and The Mummy. Wouldn't do it again. We passed on many a chance to ride HRRR and guess what, it's still the same ride with a 20 minute wait as it was when you waited 3 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter