Really Really Angry

I've tried scouring different boards to find out if they are going to let other people in than just the package people but Universal isn't talking. This is a public relations nightmare and they better do something quick or people are going to want their heads.

I've tried scouring different boards to find out if they are going to let other people in than just the package people but Universal isn't talking. This is a public relations nightmare and they better do something quick or people are going to want their heads.
I think more and more information will be forthcoming over the next few weeks.

If only those who have booked the package can get in before June 18 I'm going to explode. Not fair! This just sounds totally wrong.

There isn't any point in calling or otherwise contacting Universal. There may be a soft opening while you're there but people you talk to won't know. I doubt anyone knows. The purpose of soft openings is to get the bugs out. It goes well the ride may be fully operational while you're there. Things don't go well it won't be open.

Look at the delays regarding Test Track. Roller coasters in many different theme parks. It's risky planning a trip based on an announced opening date for a new attraction. Frequently there are "issues" and the ride is down as often as it's up. I'm sorry but planning a trip based on a rumored opening date was looking for trouble.

Your trip is from May 16-30. You thought HP would be opening on May 28. I don't know what kind of lines you anticipated the first couple of days. I don't know what kind of capacity issues you anticipated the first few days. I suspect people who booked the HP package will get priority. The word is Universal Hotel guests will only get to go to the "front of the line" once per day for the HP ride. Unless the ride is running at 100% other guests will be subject to long lines or may not even get to ride. I wouldn't be surprised if hotel guests, guests who booked HP packages and guests who purchase express passes may be about all the ride can handle some days.

I know you want to vent, I'll give you constructive suggestions.
Plan on visiting IOA near the end of your trip. You may get lucky. You won't know until you get there if the ride is running, close enough to capacity, to accommodate the general public. I'd be surprised if the gift shops aren't open when you're there. Hang out by HP at the beginning of the day. Again at the very end of the day. Consider booking a room for one night at a Universal hotel. NO guarantee you'll get on HP but the resorts are deluxe and you'll skip the main line on most of the attractions.

Posters will be telling us when the soft opening starts. You may have an idea before you get there what your chances are.

ADP--People who bought the HP package get to enter HP land an hour before the general public. I don't know how many packages Universal sold. Those people line up before the public gets to enter. Add in hotel guests and express pass purchasers and the rest of the public may be looking at very long lines (at best).

I'm mad b/c the day the packages came out I called and was told not to book b/c I'm a passholder. So, I booked a room off-site and waited. Now I don't know if we'll get to see it and May 28-30 is the only weekend I have b/c I rearranged my schedule to make sure I had the time. I'm not worried about the rides. I just wanted to see the shops. This is a public relations nightmare for them and they better say something soon or people are going to be really ticked. I know I am.

Thank you, now I have someone who feels like I do. I don't know about you but the rep kept reasuring me that it was going to work. I really wanted to do the Forbidden journey ride since that really is the only "new" one, but some is better than none. They have repeatedly pushed this back on one of my visits in 2007 they had it posted everywhere they were opening the park in Summer 09 so they are really draggin it out, and must be having a ton of problems?

If only those who have booked the package can get in before June 18 I'm going to explode. Not fair! This just sounds totally wrong.

Rides frequently have soft openings before they're ready for the grand opening. Sometimes a park will have a soft opening for employees. One for annual pass holders. For park guests lucky enough to be walking past the attraction at the right time.

Universal sold some HP vacation packages. Those packages didn't guarantee the entire land would be running. I'm sure the gift shops will be open.

What's wrong with including guests who bought the HP Vacation package as part of the soft opening for Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey?

This is only a public relations "nightmare" if Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey isn't operational by June 18. I suspect the gift shops will be open by Memorial Day.

I just called the hotel reservations number to see if I would be able to enter Potterland as a hotel guest without the HP package prior to June 18, and I was told no. The reservations lady was very clear that only those with the packages would be allowed to enter. We didn't get the package because we already had tickets. :sad1:

I just called the hotel reservations number to see if I would be able to enter Potterland as a hotel guest without the HP package prior to June 18, and I was told no. The reservations lady was very clear that only those with the packages would be allowed to enter. We didn't get the package because we already had tickets. :sad1:
I know this is directly from hotel reservations at Universal, but I'm really having a hard time believing they can limit access for people who only have the package. It kind of makes me believe they hold guests with the package at a higher esteem than AP holders or general resort guests. That's never been Universal's philosophy.

People really need to stop calling. The official opening date has been released. Attractions generally have a "soft opening". Soft openings aren't announced. They just happen. We'll read about on internet boards as it happens. Memorial Day weekend would be a good time for a grand opening. Universal probably has doubt if the attraction will be able to run at full capacity.

People who bought HP packages will be having breakfast at the Three Broomsticks restaurant. They're not guaranteed the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey attraction will be open. Those are the guests who have a right to complain/be angry if they don't get to ride Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

Assume three broomsticks is open for breakfast. Does anyone doubt it will be open the rest of the day to the general public? Does anyone doubt the gift shops will be open prior to the grand opening?

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. :laughing: I think what they most likely mean if anything is early entrance may be excluse to package holders but aren't being clear. They need to work that out.

Otherwise, I'm not going to change around my dates until closer to.

Guests who booked the HP package were told they could enter HP land an hour early. They get breakfast at the 3 Broomsticks. It's possible HP will be closed after those guests leave. No likely but possible if Universal needs the area clear to finish construction.

It's a lot of money for us to spend if it's not going to be fully operational, though. I think we'll just wait until the fall when the dust settles and the weather is cooler. ;)

I was one who did book the Harry Potter package. I sure the heck hope it's going to be up and functional. My days are June 3-4. I have never been and specifically leaving Disney early because I am a huge potter fan. I hope we hear some good news after noon today! Let me tell you I didn't book this package to eat and shop! I want the rides!

I am telling myself that I must be patient and wait to hear more info. But it sure is hard!

I've got HRH room only booked since we already had tickets so I'm hoping they'll change and let HP package holders, AP holders and resort guests into HP before the June 18 grand opening.

I mostly just want to shop but DH and the kids want to hit the new ride.

I am telling myself that I must be patient and wait to hear more info. But it sure is hard!

I've got HRH room only booked since we already had tickets so I'm hoping they'll change and let HP package holders, AP holders and resort guests into HP before the June 18 grand opening.

I am hoping for this too! Almost same circumstances. We booked HRH the week before, and are planning to upgrade our tkts to APs.
Keeping my fingers crossed that they will want more "test subjects" than the # of guests who bought the HP packages, but trying not to be too disappointed if they don't. At least if they don't let us in, the crowds in general should be much thinner as people may change their plans. (a very small consolation . . . .)

Really unhappy with Universal about this. I too was led to believe I was at no disadvantage in NOT booking the package. Why would I book a 4 night/3 day base ticket package when I wanted 5 nights w/7 day multi-park ticket (tickets that I purchased at AAA for $105.00).

What's REALLY getting to me is that in my 3 convos today w/the hotel and general info reps the FIRST thing they ask me is if I have booked the Harry Potter package. Once they hear I have not, their attitude is more or less, too bad...we have no idea what may or may not be available to you...if anything at all.

Why wouldn't Universal see to it that guests were WELL AWARE that there WAS an advantage to booking the package before summer of 2010? I probably would have booked the package and added a night if I had known it meant the difference between enjoying some/most of WWoHP or possibly not at all.

ps- Just called again asking about those with packages for my dates of 6/2-7...agents are being very deceptive, imo,(and I told him so) by not disclosing the fact that all I would have been guaranteed was early admission and breakfast. He kept reciting that I would receive everything "as described in the package". Not until I pressed the issue and asked about specific attractions did he admit the possibility that all may not be up and running. Pulling the option to book the package before 6/18 today just takes the cake.

I think Universal has a big problem on their hands with this package thing that needs to be straightened out immediately.

I am really angry too. As an AP holder, why would I pay additional money to book tickets as part of a package? I honestly can't believe they would do this. :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter