Realistic Food Allowance.

Breakfasts and lunches are what can really add up (and my favorite fruity pool drinks). Take advantage of having breakfast in the rooms most days (cereal, bagels, muffins, even frozen microwave breakfast sandwiches if you want some protein). Lunches are pretty easy too. On pool days I would run up and make lunches and bring it back down to eat on my chaise - sandwiches, cup of noodles, mac n cheese cups, dippers and hummus. Another favorite "tropical" easy to mix drink is pineapple juice and coconut flavored rum (buy a small bottle at the grocery store). On our trip last week I found a pre-mixed higher end maui rum punch in bottles at Safeway.

Breakfasts and lunches are what can really add up (and my favorite fruity pool drinks). Take advantage of having breakfast in the rooms most days (cereal, bagels, muffins, even frozen microwave breakfast sandwiches if you want some protein). Lunches are pretty easy too. On pool days I would run up and make lunches and bring it back down to eat on my chaise - sandwiches, cup of noodles, mac n cheese cups, dippers and hummus. Another favorite "tropical" easy to mix drink is pineapple juice and coconut flavored rum (buy a small bottle at the grocery store). On our trip last week I found a pre-mixed higher end maui rum punch in bottles at Safeway.

Thanks! I'm taking notes! Pineapple and Coconut flavored rum. Checked :)

You're welcome! With it being so hot, we liked to keep it light during the day and "splurge" and have a bigger meal at dinner time. There are also lots of restaurants at the Marriott and Four Seasons nearby, if you're looking for another dinner spot. I was hoping to try one of those but we kind of ran out of time. We actually came back from the trip (we did Maui/Aulani/Disneyland) with money leftover. I honestly thought it would be more expensive than it was. But I also refused to buy more than a few $15 drinks!
Any suggestions for dining at those other resorts? Any feedback good or bad experiences. How walkable are these resorts? Doable for kids?

Also, a co worker had a brilliant idea and have suggested to buy one of thosepineapple carved drink and save the actualy pineapple in the fridge and mix your drinks in there. How viable is that? I know it would only prolly last a day or two but still I think that's kinda cool trick to fool yourself you're splurging. LoL.

Also, what would be an alternative to carry your booze around if you are mixing them yourself?

Not really an option for us this trip. I have young kids that requires car seats and I'm not DVC so I'm gonna have to pay for parking. And we really want to just enjoy the resort. We are only staying 5 nights and have to leave really early on our last day. I only got a rental as part of the package and will only use it for maybe light sight seeing and mainly for groceries run! I know that is frown upon here as some have said "you can't say you've been to Hawaii if you don't explore the island". For us, there would be plenty of opportunities to do excursions, hiking, and really absorbing the culture. We want this trip to be about Aulani!!!

I think you are being very realistic because of your time there and travelling with the little ones.

I almost always have a reusable water bottle on me, especially while traveling. So we took two mugs - a plastic tumbler and a silver "Yeti" mug. Actually we got the knockoff Ozark Trail ones at Walmart, you know the big silver mugs everyone's carrying these days. They're like $10 and the best $10 I've spent in a long time. They keep ice cold forever. So while it stinks lugging it down to the pool and back up, I admittedly took plastic water bottles (we bought a big 30 pack at the store), squirted some Crystal Light lemonade in, and dumped in a shot of vodka. I'd throw one of those in the bag and take my tumbler down, too. Hydrate and enjoy a drink at the same time! ;) There are also water dispensers and plastic cups at the pool area, so it helps to have reusable water bottles to keep hydrated by the pool anyways.

The Four Seasons is right next door to Aulani, it is absolutely walkable. We didn't end up going there, so I can't say. We did see kids on the Four Seasons beach though, so I'd assume that some or all of their restaurants would be fine for kids.

It looks like the Marriott has Longboard's and Longhi's. There are a couple Longhi's on other islands as well, I think that's a little fancier than Longboards. I took Longboards to be more casual, just like a regular sit down. I'm assuming at the very least Longboard's is good for kids, if not both. We did Roy's which I believe is at the golf course at the Marriott, so right across the street from the hotel. The hotel is on the same side of the street as Aulani. I think you'd be fine with the kids but I'd carry your really little one or take your stroller just to be on the safe side.

I'm an owner at the Marriott (going this summer for a month), yet I still cannot recommend Longboards or Longhi's, sadly. Longhi's is way overpriced, and Longboards I have as of yet to have a good meal at (we tend to grill dinner rather than go out, but go out for lunch if we're out and about).

Four Seasons - haven't been to any of the places there yet, but they look pricey as Aulani, which seems to have everything for kids!

I understand for such a short trip, wanting to just enjoy the resort! Sounds like your plan will be fine!

Marriott is about a 7 to 10 minute walk with kids. One thing I would suggest is heading over there if you happen to be there on a Monday as they run a great little mini Farmers Market. Amazing fresh fruits and veg. Prices are less than the grocery stores but more than other Farmers Markets around the islands. I think the hours are 8 to 12 or something like that

I'm an owner at the Marriott (going this summer for a month), yet I still cannot recommend Longboards or Longhi's, sadly. Longhi's is way overpriced, and Longboards I have as of yet to have a good meal at (we tend to grill dinner rather than go out, but go out for lunch if we're out and about).

Four Seasons - haven't been to any of the places there yet, but they look pricey as Aulani, which seems to have everything for kids!

I understand for such a short trip, wanting to just enjoy the resort! Sounds like your plan will be fine!

Thanks! Glad to know I'm on track planning this thing! I figured the hotel retaurants will be priced similarly to one another so I would stick to my orginal dining plan :)

Marriott is about a 7 to 10 minute walk with kids. One thing I would suggest is heading over there if you happen to be there on a Monday as they run a great little mini Farmers Market. Amazing fresh fruits and veg. Prices are less than the grocery stores but more than other Farmers Markets around the islands. I think the hours are 8 to 12 or something like that

We are on a tight schedule on our Monday stay. We are doing character breakfast at 7am then at 9am, we are heading out to grab some groceries. Then my 5 year old has a schedule at ABH activity at 3p.

I wish they did this more than once a week

If you have a paring knife and cutting board (and if you don't, just bring one in your checked bags), tropical fruit plates are REALLY easy to prepare and perfect light lunch platters to have around the pool.

Buy a fresh pineapple, some fresh mango, some bananas, some papaya, some dragonfruit, some starfruit...whatever your family loves that is "on sale" that week...if passionfruit is on sale, grab that, too:)...buy a large container of vanilla yogurt (or plain yogurt or greek yogurt or any you love) - meld the passion fruit seeds into the yogurt - sweeten it if your kids like it sweeter and serve with any and all sliced fruit you bought. Have a tray of cheese and crackers next to the fruit tray and just indulge in perfect finger foods to have around the pool. You could almost serve this every day to your kids for lunch and they'd have their dairy and fruit needs covered, so they could eat those chicken nuggs or mac and cheese later.

If you're not sure the kids love passion fruit, only use some of your yogurt for the dip the 1st day...you can always mix a different thing (like mashed banana) in the next day...

It will go great with tropical drinks for the grown ups, too...and it's a nice light meal to have around potential heavy meals...

1-5 year olds also love "dip" plates, so this will be heaven for them - to grab a treat and run over and over. Yogurt also is shelf-stable, so you won't have to worry about warmth...(the cheese may only be able to be out an hour or so)...

http://www.green-energy-efficient-homes.com/unrefrigerated-yogurt.html

Any suggestions for dining at those other resorts? Any feedback good or bad experiences. How walkable are these resorts? Doable for kids?
Four Seasons is very close. We did not go to any of the restaurants before but I have stayed at Four Seasons Resorts before so i expect their restaurants would be great. We did look at their menus and they are higher end than your other options though. They have a pan-asian restaurant which looks like it has a lot of shareable plates. I think all of their restaurants would be welcoming to kids. Four Seasons are generally very welcoming to families and usually have special kids amenities. The Marriott is a longer walk but I think do able with your age kids - we looked at the menus and reviews for Long Boards and decided to pass. The pizza last week at Ulu Cafe was $18 for a large and would more than feed your family for dinner one night since your kids are little.

Also, a co worker had a brilliant idea and have suggested to buy one of thosepineapple carved drink and save the actualy pineapple in the fridge and mix your drinks in there. How viable is that? I know it would only prolly last a day or two but still I think that's kinda cool trick to fool yourself you're splurging. LoL.

Also, what would be an alternative to carry your booze around if you are mixing them yourself?

On one of the DCL cruises we received plastic mugs with lids and handles with DVC member on them. I brought them along with us (and used them for packing breakable souvenirs on the way back). Filled them with ice, a couple of chinks of pineapple, some of the rum punch, a splash of pineapple juice and took it down to the pool. The tumbler is clear plastic so you could see the cool tropical colors. The kids were jealous so I made them their own version with POG and pineapple juice.

The gift shop also sells some nice Aulani plastic drink cups that make nice souvenirs.

Another low key dinner idea is appetizers and tropical drinks at Olelo Room one evening - great music every night, small plates that you could make a meal of and ok for kids.

Wow! you guys are golden! All of these great tips! Makes me more excited than ever knowing I could save money!

How about our BBQ situation? I know it only starts at 4p and that you can borrow bbq stuff. But how realistic is it to go there from your room, hauling raw meat, cook em and bring it back upstairs without attracting alot of people? Does it get crowded?

If you have a paring knife and cutting board (and if you don't, just bring one in your checked bags), tropical fruit plates are REALLY easy to prepare and perfect light lunch platters to have around the pool.

Buy a fresh pineapple, some fresh mango, some bananas, some papaya, some dragonfruit, some starfruit...whatever your family loves that is "on sale" that week...if passionfruit is on sale, grab that, too:)...buy a large container of vanilla yogurt (or plain yogurt or greek yogurt or any you love) - meld the passion fruit seeds into the yogurt - sweeten it if your kids like it sweeter and serve with any and all sliced fruit you bought. Have a tray of cheese and crackers next to the fruit tray and just indulge in perfect finger foods to have around the pool. You could almost serve this every day to your kids for lunch and they'd have their dairy and fruit needs covered, so they could eat those chicken nuggs or mac and cheese later.

If you're not sure the kids love passion fruit, only use some of your yogurt for the dip the 1st day...you can always mix a different thing (like mashed banana) in the next day...

It will go great with tropical drinks for the grown ups, too...and it's a nice light meal to have around potential heavy meals...

1-5 year olds also love "dip" plates, so this will be heaven for them - to grab a treat and run over and over. Yogurt also is shelf-stable, so you won't have to worry about warmth...(the cheese may only be able to be out an hour or so)...

http://www.green-energy-efficient-homes.com/unrefrigerated-yogurt.html

Would Target or Costco have those local fruits you are talking about? Or you speak of a local supermarket? I really like the idea that I can make varities of mixed drinks for me and desserts for kids!

Would the resort lend us bowls, plates and utensil. Just for mixing, and food preparations. I know they'll give paper plates and plastic utensils

Wow! you guys are golden! All of these great tips! Makes me more excited than ever knowing I could save money!

How about our BBQ situation? I know it only starts at 4p and that you can borrow bbq stuff. But how realistic is it to go there from your room, hauling raw meat, cook em and bring it back upstairs without attracting alot of people? Does it get crowded?

I brought along a small roll of foil to cover my bbq plus my own cheap tongs from the dollar store because I didnt want to use something that might not have been cleaned properly (I am a bit of a freak that what) People were asking me where did you get the foil? I just wanted to keep my stuff warm LOL

As far as fruit and veg go, I find there is seriously a better selection at Island Markets then at Target, they kind of suck in Kapolei for produce, compared to supermarkets. I have not been to Costco in Kaoplei so cannot comment on that.

I think its reasonable. We spent about $500 for our 7 days there, family of 4 with a 6 and 8 year old excluding one night at Paradise Cove luau and a breakfast and lunch on a catamaran excursion. We did a couple Ama Ama meals and the rest was on the cheap.

We had a car rental for one day and had breakfast at Koa pancake house- $20 for the 4 of us and it was so much food, we couldn't finish. I packed sandwiches for lunch with stuff we brought from home and then we picked up thai food for dinner and brought the leftoevers back to our fridge and heated it up in the microwave for 2 more lunches. We did pizza one night which also turned into a couple lunches. The kids ate in Aunty's a lot so DH and I could do Monkeypod or Ama Ama by ourselves.

Since someone else mentioned it, I totally forgot. The Olelo Room does happy hour. We did drinks there and they were ~$7ish for a mixed drink which is a downright bargain. We only wished we'd tried it sooner. And they also had appetizer type foods on their menu, which coupled with maybe a treat from Ulu Cafe would make a great dinner! Don't be afraid to take your kids. We saw two families with little ones when we were there. Live music, too!

Since someone else mentioned it, I totally forgot. The Olelo Room does happy hour. We did drinks there and they were ~$7ish for a mixed drink which is a downright bargain. We only wished we'd tried it sooner. And they also had appetizer type foods on their menu, which coupled with maybe a treat from Ulu Cafe would make a great dinner! Don't be afraid to take your kids. We saw two families with little ones when we were there. Live music, too!

Great! That sounds doable! What time is happy hour?

Also, I forgot to tell that my daughter has peanut allergy. How are the restaurants in and out Aulani regarding this matter?

Just a thought but have you looked into renting points for a one bedroom instead of the cash reservation? Dvc renters get free parking and it might work out to be around the same price as a cash reservation depending on days you plan on being there. There's some one bedroom ocean view availability. You are less than 7 months out so any old points will do. Some distressed points or even holding points may be had pretty cheap. Having a car and ability to make your own meals will really save $. Costco has some pretty inexpensive car rental rates and it's nice to head out for an uncrowded beach or just the grocery store whenever you feel like it.

If not some things we used to do when our kids were younger (not at Aulani but for Hawaii vacations)- bring some food with you. Oatmeal packets, bagels, bread, snacks, coffee... are all going to be much less at home than Hawaii. I've seen people bring coolers with frozen steaks... on flights to Hawaii. I'm pretty sure there's a BBQ for use on property. Some foil is great for cooking veggies. Pineapple cooks up great on the grill.

I'm not a fan of eating out all meals just for health reasons. Having ability to make sandwiches, snacks in room is not only saving quite a bit but also makes for a much more enjoyable Hawaii vacation because you don't have to drag everyone down for every meal. It's nice to come back to condo for lunch out of the sun, a nap or a little down time.

When my kids were younger we took them out for dinners a couple times over the course of the week but otherwise just cooked in condo or sent husband down to BBQ. Stuff like fresh fruits and vegetables I would pick up at a stand. We eat out most dinners on vacation now but still spend about the same in Hawaii as we do at home just by eating happy hour specials. Or if husband orders a meal I'll get a side salad and take a couple bites of his dinner. Seems like such a waste to have everyone ordering a full dinner and then nobody even eating half of it. Besides Hawaii is quite warm and so heavy meals don't really mix with the heat.

I love buying local fresh fruits and then blending with ice for smoothies. A little oj or a banana sweetens it up. Perhaps call and see if hotel will give you a blender.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter