Real Pictures of VMK'ers - Post them here!

Irishhockey said:
Oh.. I see how it is... you and hagen are too scared to put on skates yourself...

Not true!! Not true!! Hagen said he'll take you on ANY day! What did he say, something like "sissy girl can't play real hockey?" Yeah, something like that, really. Hurt him, not me! ;)

=====

Oh, real dumb question from a non-hockey player: so, when a player hikes up the jersey over a hip pad, it's typically one of the better players (captain, perhaps? ;) ). Is that just so that on the ice, it's easier to spot the person to get the puck to, the playmaker? Or is there some other secret code I'm not getting?

8450.jpg

[/QUOTE]

JeanJoe said:
Oh, real dumb question from a non-hockey player: so, when a player hikes up the jersey over a hip pad, it's typically one of the better players (captain, perhaps? ;) ). Is that just so that on the ice, it's easier to spot the person to get the puck to, the playmaker? Or is there some other secret code I'm not getting?

Hey, I'll field that one, since I know the answer...

That is a hockey "fashion trend" originally started by the Great One - Wayne Gretzky. He always did this when he played. Now, he originally did it when he was a little tyke and because of his talent was moved up to play with older boys. Since these boys were all bigger than he was, the jerseys were far too big and hung down to his knees. He tucked in the jersey on one side so that it wouldn't hamper his skating. Then he continued to do it through his career.

So, by tucking in your jersey, you are either making a fashion statement similar to, "I am a Wayne Gretzky cool hockey player!", or your jersey is too big.

(Hockey 101 - part of the Canadian Trivia series) :goodvibes

JeanJoe said:

8450.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Some hockey players in the NHL will tuck in their shirt if they have an endorsement deal with another company. For example, the team wears Koho shirts, but the guy has an endorsement deal with CCM, the shirt gets tucked.

Karen

whoa i didnt think there were this many adults on vmk how do you get your vmk ppl on here.

The Wolf said:
You know, somehow we always knew you were blonde Pixiebella. :rotfl2:

Hey!! What are trying to say? :rotfl2: I freely admit to having blonde moments! So there!

We'll here's a pic of me on BLAB (best Disneyland acronym ever, IMHO) on the 17th of July! :)

Sadly with that game face...I didn't get a very high score!

why do I do it eh?

Part of it is the fact that the jersey is simply "too big".... same reason why i tuck the jersey into the top of my elbow pads...

Another part... is just that I think it "looks cool"... dumb to say I know.... but the way a hockey player may dress... can be very intimating. Usually as soon as you it the ice... you can notice right away a players poosible abilities... just by the way they are dressed... sounds stupid.... I know... but it is true.

I don't like the way the jersey hangs... when it is untucked. I think it looks foolish... and if u look u feel good right? ;)

Astryd said:
Hope Deb does not mind me linking to her site.

She's an occasional DISer, so she probably doesn't mind. Plus she probably doesn't mind having people directed to her site :teeth:.
Thanks for the link to the picture ::yes::. There are several people in there that I know :).

OFF SUBECT
IrishHockey, Nice pictures by the way...I should have posted my high school or collegiate hockey pictures although that was like 10 years ago :sad2: I loved playing ice hockey and played for almost 19 years of my life.

To actually echo IrishHockey's comments there are definitely two reasons why people tuck in their shirts (1) Shirt is too big (2) Fashion Statement. There are many smaller hockey players or players who skate really low to the ice like a speed skater (Me for example) that would tuck in their shirts. If you did not tuck in your shirt sometimes it would get tangled around your knees like a women's night gown hindering your skating. For some reason I always got small shirts, what a paint to put on. The secondary piece would definitely be more a fashion statement being different on the ice compared to your team members. People wrapping different color tape around their stick blade besides black (btw, Since I played I never understood why someone wanted white since black blends the puck better with the stick...Oh Well!), etc. Through 19 year hockey career I never came across someone who did something different around fashion and was a special player amongst their team that association is a little bit crazy. Those players unfortunately stuck out like a sore thumb and received the appropriate attention they deserved from the other team :headache: :sick: :scared: :faint: :badpc:

One other point someone made regarding tucking in shirts...Yes, Professional teams may sponsor lets say Nike, but a particular player may actually sponser Reebock...So the player may actually tuck their shirt in or place tape over that part of their shirt. If you remember the Summer Olympics Basketball "Dream Team" Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Ervin Johnson, etc. When they received their gold medals many players drapped the american flag over their left shoulder to block sponsor's logo they did not represent. That was some time ago, but people may remember...

Mario Lemieux and Bobby Orr are still the greatest players ever (Although, Being a bostonian I have to lean toward the bruin).

vellamint said:
You know if I thought this picture would be under such scrutiny I would have picked a more flattering pose...lol. I just want to say...

I Was Having A Very Bad Hair Day!!

(Chiabob is in the spongebob shirt..lol and Mulligirl is in the two piece suit while Softballgirl has Olive Oil's arm around her.)

My hair is longer now.

- ChiaBob- :banana:

WDWTigger72 said:
Through 19 year hockey career I never came across someone who did something different around fashion and was a special player amongst their team that association is a little bit crazy. Those players unfortunately stuck out like a sore thumb and received the appropriate attention they deserved from the other team :headache: :sick: :scared: :faint: :badpc:
Hmmm... ok i get what u are saying...

I use different color stick tape... sometimes red.. mostly white... and even green.... but never black tho... was never a believer in the whole... "black makes the puck blend." Sorry.. I don't think "black tape" is going to make u score more goals... and pull smoother moves off. BUT... I know what u are saying... and to each his own...
- and if u are thinking to urself... "why does she use color tape then"... well... many reasons... majority of the time tho.. Its just want i want on there...

I am not saying.... that just because I tuck my jersey... my team mates give me respect... heck... I wish it was that easy! It's more so... in my opinion... the other teams view on you... that fashion "statements" seem to make an impression.
As stupid as it sounds... but coming from a player and coach... I am a believer in this. Kinda like judging a book by it's cover... sometimes you win.. sometimes u lose... but u can not help but to judge.

As for being a bruins fan.. ur talking to a southie girl... Orr all the way baby. My number is "2" because thats the number Orr was when he played for the Oshawa Generals up in Canada.

I added my pic from a coupla years ago at bottom as part of my sig.
I have worn contacts since.

:3dglasses

OK, Irish, you won't take on the dog? Well, then it's time to fight dirty. I'm going to send The Beasts after you.

hockey1.jpg
hockey2.jpg

You may have read about them in another thread. They are so mean that my only option was to try to sell them, but there were no takers. Then I offered to pay people to take them; still no takers.

The smaller one on the left is DD13mo, and although she only learned to walk today (7 steps), she will shriek and drool you to the ice. On the right is DD3yo, intimidating with her game face, and showing off her stick-handling skills. She will whine you into submission.

Beware, the gloves are off... No mercy!

KristaTX said:
She's an occasional DISer, so she probably doesn't mind. Plus she probably doesn't mind having people directed to her site :teeth:.
Thanks for the link to the picture ::yes::. There are several people in there that I know :).

I did not think she would mine the traffic too much . :)

Glad you enjoyed seeing those that you know. Maybe next year we need to have a mini vmk meet during that meet also. ::yes:: That would be so much fun!

JeanJoe said:
OK, Irish, you won't take on the dog? Well, then it's time to fight dirty. I'm going to send The Beasts after you.

hockey1.jpg
hockey2.jpg

Beware, the gloves are off... No mercy!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

threeboysmom said:
Coolcami - for some reason, I thought you were a teen! I was very surprised to see your pic with DH and kids!!

surferrat said:
Isn't funny how we have stereotyped each other until the pictures came out..And I mean sterotyped in a friendly funny way...

I mean who would have thought surferrat wasn't 14..lol

Then coolcami, who I also would have figured as a teen!...

Just think if we did not do the roll call from the name who shall not be spoken...and your thread on RL pictures...

Would have been funny to set up a meet and greet prior and watch as people walked in and the amazement on our faces....

You have to love how society can really sterotype each other, but how this dis family has become close thanks to a video game..

Um, thanks - I think!? I'm not sure if I take that as a compliment or a total slap in the face :rotfl2:

No, I'm not a teenager...not by a long shot - LOL You're right, Surferrat, it's funny how perceptions can be!

Anyway - I'm really enjoying everyones pictures - keep them coming!

Irishhockey said:
WDWTigger72 said:
Through 19 year hockey career I never came across someone who did something different around fashion and was a special player amongst their team that association is a little bit crazy. Those players unfortunately stuck out like a sore thumb and received the appropriate attention they deserved from the other team :headache: :sick: :scared: :faint: :badpc:

Hmmm... ok i get what u are saying...

I use different color stick tape... sometimes red.. mostly white... and even green.... but never black tho... was never a believer in the whole... "black makes the puck blend." Sorry.. I don't think "black tape" is going to make u score more goals... and pull smoother moves off. BUT... I know what u are saying... and to each his own...
- and if u are thinking to urself... "why does she use color tape then"... well... many reasons... majority of the time tho.. Its just want i want on there...

I am not saying.... that just because I tuck my jersey... my team mates give me respect... heck... I wish it was that easy! It's more so... in my opinion... the other teams view on you... that fashion "statements" seem to make an impression.
As stupid as it sounds... but coming from a player and coach... I am a believer in this. Kinda like judging a book by it's cover... sometimes you win.. sometimes u lose... but u can not help but to judge.

As for being a bruins fan.. ur talking to a southie girl... Orr all the way baby. My number is "2" because thats the number Orr was when he played for the Oshawa Generals up in Canada.

My Style: Big shoulder pads, take numbers, deliver punishment!

Here's a pre-big hit photo (note the shoulder drop in preparation of pasting her in her tracks :cool1:
hockey.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter