Random notes from recent trip

cschaaf

DIS Veteran
As if my trip report wasn't random enough, here are some extra bits:

Hotels
Portofino: In my opinion, the prettiest of the on-property hotels. Rooms are large. Getting around is confusing.

Aventura: Very nice - feels like a 'level up' from Cabana Bay. Compact and easy to get around. Everything is very close (Urban Pantry, pool, lobby, bus pickup, parking garage, elevator are all within a very short walk from each other). Central core elevator gets crowded and the elevator acted.

The elevators acted oddly - some would pass us on the way down. Some would stop at our floor going up when we pressed down. One time, we were headed up from the lobby and stopped at 4 to let people out, at 6 people got on, it went down to 5 and those people left, then up to 10, then 14. So weird.​
We'd never done the bus service and wondered how fast security would be in the hub. Security there was very efficient. The lines for hotel guests were short and quick, the line from the parking garage was always long.​
Negatives were the bus service. It shares a loop with Cabana and Cabana loads first. One time, we waited ~30 minutes for a bus as we saw several pull out of CB and bypass us. We also saw this behavior from our room - a bus would pull into CB, then head back to the park. We saw and heard many Aventura guests walking to either Sapphire to take the boat or to Cabana so they could greatly improve their chances of getting on a bus.​
The rooms were small. Fine for two people, but there was no where to put luggage. The night stand was too full to use for your own stuff. There is large lamp, a phone, and the dock for the ipad. I ended up putting the phone on the floor so I had room to put my phone and a cup.​
USO/IOA
Velocicoaster (JWV) instantly became my favorite ride in the parks. No contest. Loved everything about it. My wife liked it, but says it's too scary to be her top ride. She prefers Hagrid's.​
The locker setup works really well but are a bit hectic because everyone gets funneled to the same bank. And there's no 'only one person with the bags' because we're all in the same spot. My wife got a top locker and ended up leaving her sunglasses because she couldn't see that they had fallen out of her bag. Luckily she noticed right away and two attendants helped us retrieve them in the chaos.​
The day/night differences in the queue are subtle but a great attention to detail.​
We rode in the next to last row (day) and in the middle (night). I didn't think there was a huge difference between them. Maybe a bit more air time in the back.​
The seats are high and we both had to get on our toes and kind of 'jump' get get in. There is a large center pillar between your legs. Then they really crank down on the restraint. Men - prepare for this. I thought I was prepared the second time, but apparently not well enough.​
Neither one of us saw the raptors during the ride. There could have been real raptors down there and I wouldn't have seen them.​

Jurassic Park River Adventure - we've never seen the TRex looking better than it does right now. Fantastic.​

Hagrid's virtual queue - we weren't able to take advantage of this. We got VQ reservations the 3 days we were there but the timing never worked out for us. Between lunch/dinner reservations, weather delays, ride closures, just being too far away to make the time, and being in line for JWV, we'd keep pushing out the time as often as we could, but just never worked.​
Early Park Admission and Express Pass - I know some feel that with EP, you don't need to use EPA. In my opinion, if you want to ride Hagrid's, go early. It was showing down a lot when we were there. If you are visiting in the summer, I think EPA is even more critical. Between the afternoon heat and the inevitable thunderstorm, you may not have the opportunities that you hoped for.​
Volcano Bay
Hard to say if the Premium Seating was 'worth it'. It was nice having shade throughout the day. We brought a sheet to hang up across the front since the clam shell cover doesn't move forward.​
Might have been nice to have food delivered, but we felt it would be too uncomfortable to try to eat in those seats.​
While I appreciate their dedication to the theming, the attraction names are hard to identify and remember.​
The park need more signage. You can't carry a paper map and can only carry your phone if you have a waterproof case.​
I don't know that there is a better way, but it's not convenient to leave your shoes at the ride entrance then have to walk back when you get off the ride. Add to that, there weren't many signs at the exit telling you where the entrance was.​
Some may be able to walk around without shoes, but not me. The sand was hot and the concrete hotter. The fast river was a lot of fun, but I took off my shoes, that was a big mistake - it tore up my feet.​
The VQ here didn't really work well for us, either.​
We learned later that the park hit capacity the day we were there. We saw the big drop slide posted with a 180 minute wait. It was at capacity by 1:30 or so.​

General
We made dinner reservations 2 of 3 nights, and lunch reservations once. The most we've ever reserved at Universal. Not my favorite way to visit the parks, but they were necessary.​
Coke Freestyle machines were often our of ice and choices were limited by mid afternoon. We still got our monies worth with how hot it was.​
Despite the heat, we had a great time and everyone - TMs and guests - seemed very friendly and understanding. We only saw two kids melt down and one family having the "Why don't we just leave then!" argument.​

The Freestyle machine at New Dutch Trading Company in Sapphire Falls broke last night after a bunch of people came through filling cups of water. It just started blowing syrup into cups and they couldn’t fix it. This morning when I bought donuts they said it should be fixed by noon. Apparently they are sensitive machines. We haven’t bothered to bring our park cups in with us to activate after all of the horror stores on here and by park guests at the resort. -at Margaritaville waiting for lunch-

We saw a lot of people filling water bottles from the Freestyle machines.

We still felt it was worth activating our cups. The lines at the kiosks we’re very long throughout the day. We rarely waited for more than 3 people at the Freestyle machines.

But it’s only worth it if you are okay drinking cool, or sometimes not so cool, drinks and if you only like one particular drink/flavor.

Thank you for sharing your trip thoughts. I now feel like I'm not missing much at VB (skeptical anyway, I'm pasty and struggle not to burn)
I'm not a huge 'water' person. We have a pool at home and in 10 years, I think I've been in it 4 times. So I'm probably not the best marketing tool VB has ever had.

I did actually enjoy the park. It's beautiful and I would have been happy doing the two rivers all day. We did maybe 5 or 6 of the slides. We could have done more, but it was packed (it hit capacity that day) and we didn't feel like tapping in, doing something, then doubling back to ride.

We're hoping to make it back to Universal for HHN and, if we do, we'll consider going to VB again when, hopefully, it will be a lot less crowded.

We saw and heard many Aventura guests walking to either Sapphire to take the boat or to Cabana so they could greatly improve their chances of getting on a bus.
any idea how long that walk would take? We did it once from our only stay at CB when line for bus was wildly long. Much quicker than I had expected TBH
We got VQ reservations the 3 days we were there but the timing never worked out for us.
Wow, i was skunked every single day our trip after 4th of July.
We made dinner reservations 2 of 3 nights, and lunch reservations once. The most we've ever reserved at Universal. Not my favorite way to visit the parks, but they were necessary.
Yes, they sadly do seem to be necessary now. Surprisingly, the tables seemed to be pretty much at full occupancy At places we visited, could be wrong there tho. :confused3 What do you think?

any idea how long that walk would take? We did it once from our only stay at CB when line for bus was wildly long. Much quicker than I had expected TBH
We didn't do either walk, but we could see the routes from our room. I'd guess the walk from AVH to SFR is 2-3 minutes - it's just across the parking lot. Then add to that whatever the walk is from the lobby to the boat.

The walk from AHV to Cabana - if you cross the road where you aren't supposed to, it would probably take 3-4 minutes. If you walk to the crosswalk, it's probably more like 10-12 minutes.

Yes, they sadly do seem to be necessary now. Surprisingly, the tables seemed to be pretty much at full occupancy At places we visited, could be wrong there tho. :confused3 What do you think?
We booked our restaurants about 3 or 4 days before our trip. NBC Grille had a lot of availability - just about every time slot was open - I think I looked about 6:00 and later. Vivo was pretty open most of the nights I checked. Cowfish was spotty. Big Fire was limited and Toothsome didn't have anything available.

We booked NBC the first night for 6:15. We got there early and they had no problems taking us. The restaurant was busy, but not packed.

We booked Confisco for lunch on Day 2 - we did that a few hours in advance and they had a lot of times open. It was moderately crowded when we got there.

That night was Vivo - we got there right at the end of our reservation time and they took us right away. There were a few of the larger tables that stayed empty the entire time we were there, but the smaller tables were all busy.

If you walk to the crosswalk, it's probably more like 10-12 minutes.
Guilty as charged but, I understand their reasoning Never attempted when busy
That night was Vivo - we got there right at the end of our reservation time and they took us right away. There were a few of the larger tables that stayed empty the entire time we were there, but the smaller tables were all busy.
How did u like vivo? On the bucket list

Guilty as charged but, I understand their reasoning Never attempted when busy
We're slow walkers, so we'd have to be desperate to try it. But I can definitely see trying it if we weren't.

How did u like vivo? On the bucket list
We like Vivo. I think that was our third time there. Haven't had anything bad there. It's a bit expensive, but they give you a lot of food. I had the puttanesca and there were a ton of capers and Kalamata olives in there - like a whole jar work of olives.

I think we'd rank our top City Walk places as Red Oven, NBC Grille, then Vivo. I've enjoed Cowfish, but my wife doesn't like it as much. And, for us, Toothsome has been hit or miss. We haven't tried Antojito's or Big Fire, but want to at some point.

We'd never done the bus service and wondered how fast security would be in the hub. Security there was very efficient. The lines for hotel guests were short and quick, the line from the parking garage was always long.

Wait - is there a separate line for hotel guests at the main security hub now? I haven't been since 2017, and at that time both Cabana Bay bus guests and people from the parking lot ended up in the same security lines.

Wait - is there a separate line for hotel guests at the main security hub now? I haven't been since 2017, and at that time both Cabana Bay bus guests and people from the parking lot ended up in the same security lines.
It's not so much a 'separate line' as it is the hotel bus people come in to the far left side of the security lines and the parking garage folks are on the far right.

I don't know if there were TMs on the parking garage side pulsing those folks into the security line or not. It could have just been the same human nature thing you usually see at the turnstiles - people love to get in the longest lines ;)

The lines on the left side were fast - maybe 3 people in front of you. The lines on the right looked like chaos.

It's not so much a 'separate line' as it is the hotel bus people come in to the far left side of the security lines and the parking garage folks are on the far right.

Ahhh gotcha! ;)

people love to get in the longest lines ;)

Boy isn't that the truth, haha. When we went in 2017, we always went to the far left at the IoA entrance - they'd often be completely empty vs the 50ft line in the center!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter