Rainbow Reef @ Aulani

cropper

Mouseketeer
for those that have been to Aulani, is it worth paying for the entire stay to use Rainbow Reef?

My girls are 8 and 13

My sons were 16 and 12 (now 13) when we went this past December, and with the new lower pricing it was worth it to get a full stay pass. They used it about 3 times each and enjoyed it.

To some extent it's going to depend on what your kids are into, but I thought it was worth it, and we got some fun pictures of them floating around looking at the fish from over at the big glass windows where you can watch them.

Here is a shot of our DS (then 12 yo) floating around:

Thats a great shot…. How much did the entire stay package cost as opposed to doing it on a daily basis ?

We did the SAS (air tanks) yesterday and it was worth the $30.00. Snorkelling is $20.00 and although I am sure it would be just as enjoyable, I think once per trip is good for me. There are lots of other things to enjoy.

~ David

The water is VERY cold. Once was enough for my DDs. It's hard to know how much you will enjoy it until you are there to try it. Have fun!

Thats a great shot…. How much did the entire stay package cost as opposed to doing it on a daily basis ?

From the Aulani website:
Cost
Rainbow Reef admission includes a life vest and a mask and snorkel set. Pricing is as follows:
•One-Day Rental: $15 per adult (ages 10 and up); $10 per child (ages 9 and under)
•Length-of-Stay Rental: $20 per adult (ages 10 and up); $15 per child (ages 9 and under)

The first time we went to Aulani in August 2012 the full visit pass was something like $39 or so.... didn't think that price was worth it... but the new price is way more realistic and made it easy to justify thinking "well if they swim at least 2x's then its worth it".

The first time we went to Aulani in August 2012 the full visit pass was something like $39 or so.... didn't think that price was worth it... but the new price is way more realistic and made it easy to justify thinking "well if they swim at least 2x's then its worth it".

Thank you for the info

DEFINITELY worth it at the current prices. With a length-of-stay, it's nice to be able to spend 15-20 minutes on each of several days, instead of worrying about "getting your money's worth" on one day.

BONUS: Once you've gotten your daily "punch" on your wristband for Rainbow Reef, you can also use snorkel gear from Makiki Joe's on the beach. We'd brought our own masks & snorkels from home for use in the lagoon, but learned this tidbit on our last day... next time, we'll save that space & weight!

BTW, snorkeling along the breakers in the lagoon is OK - on windy days the water will be stirred up, but you do see many species of fish in their "natural" habitat. We even saw a Green Turtle resting on the bottom - there are none of those in Rainbow Reef!

My DH and DD did Rainbow Reef this last week - too cold for me! They really liked it, but once was enough. They bought the day pass and were told by the CM that they could upgrade to a length of stay pass if they tried it and wanted to do it again.

There is a Disney Visa Cardholder promo now for a free day of Rainbow Reef rental....in case anyone qualifies.

I agree, for me, it was once was enough. Two words: freezing cold. I don't ever remember going into water that cold (well being from Hawaii our water isn't that cold at the beach).

The water isn't THAT cold IMO. Have to get it like you take off a band aid! All at once! It's nice to cool after sitting in the sun.

I'd say it's equally colder than the infinity pool than that one is from the main one.

I'm just thankfull it's not all frozen like our water is at home!

My son and I have done it a couple times. LOS pass is worth it to do it twice. And with the LOS Pass you can do it for 10 minutes every day here and there.

It's both of our first times trying snorkeling. Wish I would have tried it more as a Kid myself.

The Disney Visa Cardholder benefit of Aulani Rainbow Reef snorkling is no longer showing on the Rewards website but that's where I found it. Here is what I cut and pasted into my "notes" from the Visa website on March 3, 2014.

Plus, as a Disney Visa® Cardmember you can enjoy a Rainbow Reef snorkeling rental during your stay (per registered Guest). Swim among angelfish, butterfly fish and tangs as you discover coral and other marine life…just steps from your room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter