~ Rachel Made it to DISNEY! Christmas at AKL ~ Oh. My. Gosh! ~ 1/22

During the performance two DISers were trying to get me on the phone. Of course, I could not really answer at the performance.

I returned the call and found out that they were heading out of Epcot. Oh no! I am going to miss them! :confused:

Heathersue and teresajoy have been my friends for a while. They are two of the ladies primarily responsible for The Big Give (where the ladies and men that are DISboutiquers make custom clothes for children going on Wish Trips). They did Lauren’s Big Give before her trip. :love: And I help with the Big Give every now and then, so we still talk often. And they were in Epcot! For just one night. And this was the last night of their trip.

I was hoping to catch up with them to watch Illuminations. Heathersue had left me a message on my phone to let me know that they were tired and heading out of the park soon. :scared1: I called and left them a message that we were going to try to ride Soarin’ before Rachel had to get back to the room early to take care of some medical stuff, but it was a while before I could call them back so I suspected they had already headed out of the park. :sad2:

We had decided that the four of us (Rachel, Rosemary, Joyce and I) should ride Soarin’ today for two reasons – one, we may not be back at Epcot after today and two, we wanted to make sure Ellie could ride it before we recommended that they come over to Epcot to get her to try it out.
So we headed to Soarin’. I had checked my iPhone application “Lines” earlier in the day and found that the FastPasses were already gone for the day when we arrived…so it was impossible for us to get a FastPass, so we would have to use the GAC. If we had not had the GAC, we would have had to skip the ride, because the wait was close to an hour and Rachel had to get back to the room because this was one of her long nights for medical stuff. Our entire schedule had been carefully planned around these nights when she has to do extra medical stuff. :teacher:

By the way…”Lines” is a great application that is available on ALL phones that are web enabled. You go to m.touringplans.com and register. I believe it is free to everyone. :confused3 It has the approximate wait times and tells you predictions for wait times for the next few hours. It also lists “crowd scores” as determined by their statisticians and has a place where any user can add a time or let everyone using the application that a ride is “down” or update a wait time. The application is in BETA testing and the wait times are not 100% accurate, but I found that they were very close and definitely provided a lot of useful information that was easily accessible in the parks. I found myself checking it often. ::yes::

To ride Soarin’, Rachel has to be transferred on to the ride vehicle. She can’t take her cushion, either. But since the ride is only 5 minutes, it works for her. The ride, as always, was awesome and everyone enjoyed it!
At this point it was almost 7, I believe. We needed to head out of the park so that Rachel could get started on her stuff. I could have stayed in the park, but I was tired. The trip and lack of sleep was catching up to me and we still needed to get all of our stuff up to the room – I felt bad sending Joyce to the room to do all of that and take care of Rachel’s stuff.

On the way out, I noticed that Heathersue had called me. So I called her back. I expected her to tell me that she had headed out of the park already, since they had called to let me know they were heading back over an hour before that…but they were still there! And guess where they were…. THE LAND! They were right here! There was no way I was leaving without meeting them! Another blessing moment!

Joyce, Rachel and Rosemary were all a little confused…”You are meeting these people here? Now? How do you know them? :confused3 You mean you have never met them?!?!?!” :eek: :scared1: :rolleyes1 They were so confused. :laughing:

But, like almost every other DIS meet I have ever attended, I felt like I was meeting old friends. We hugged each other before we even really spoke. They were exactly like I imagined. I had read their trip reports from “cover to cover” and recognized them. We were all in pink shirts – which was so funny. :laughing:

Here is our picture…They got pictures, too…so I hope theirs aren’t too bad of me. :rotfl: :surfweb:

DisneyWorldRay1115.jpg

It was great to meet them. We did not get to talk long. I introduced them to my friends and Joyce told me later that she really liked my friends! :thumbsup2 Of course you did! I would only hang out with nice people! Joyce wanted to know all about The Big Give and was floored to think that people make custom clothes for people that they have never met.

We all walked to the buses and parted ways. I am so glad I got to meet them! :hug: :goodvibes

When we arrived, the bus had just pulled up and was letting people off! Another blessing moment! We really did need to get back to the room and get Rachel started on her meds for the night.

This time there was quite a line already for the bus. They have to load wheelchairs first, because if they didn’t, the person in the wheelchair is liable to run over their toes. :rolleyes1 Once Rachel is settled, they make us get on next and then let the rest of the people in line board. We had only one “rude” moment on the buses the whole trip (more about that later). I had heard nightmare stores from the DIS – but everyone was very kind to us. We were also considerate of them and stood in the bus until everyone else got a seat. I usually stood behind Rachel’s wheelchair in the corner of the bus, which is a pretty comfy place to ride, since you get to lean against the wall of the bus. :)

In no time we were headed back to the Animal Kingdom Lodge! :woohoo:

But we were in for a surprise........

Up Next: Oh. My. Gosh. :scared1:

I just caught up. Thank you for the links!

You're a saint. I pretty much would've been done when Joyce started going off.

Oh, I assure you, I am not a saint! :rotfl: I did have to dig deep to hold it together on that!

The Candle Light Processional sounds amazing. I wish we could have stayed a few extra days to see it. Did you get to see some of the Santas from around the world too? I also think that you should be able to reserve a handicapped seat with your reserved processional seating. I am amazed at how fast the handicapped seating areas for shows and parades fill up so quickly! I am glad you liked the show! :wizard:

It really was amazing! I did not see any Santas...?

There really were lots of handicapped seats for the Processional and most would have been perfectly fine seats. It was Ray's vision that became an issue there. Now parades....that is a whole different ball of wax!

DISmeets!:thumbsup2:hug: Glad you got to meet up with some "old" friends.

The music on Soarin is the best! In fact I'm putting it on right now.

Thanks for the tip about the Lines app.

Uh oh. What's the surprise?

Did you learn that cliffhanger thing from me? You unlearn that right now, missy! I do have to say, you've been moving this TR right along, so I really can't popcorn you. It wouldn't be fair.

I'm so glad you were able to ride Soarin' and meet up with your DIS friends! :goodvibes

no fair you got to meet Heathersue and Teresajoy
you really know how to hang with the cool kids :love:

:goodvibes

It was cool to meet them! I have enjoyed every single DIS meet I have had!

DISmeets!:thumbsup2:hug: Glad you got to meet up with some "old" friends.

The music on Soarin is the best! In fact I'm putting it on right now.

Thanks for the tip about the Lines app.

Oooo...You can buy the Soarin' music?? Do tell!

Hooray! So glad you got to have your meet!! :goodvibes

How funny that you were all in PINK!!

Kathy

It was funny! In the same place at the same time and all wearing pink! It would have been even better if we were all in LIME GREEN...but Pink is good too! :)

Uh oh. What's the surprise?

Did you learn that cliffhanger thing from me? You unlearn that right now, missy! I do have to say, you've been moving this TR right along, so I really can't popcorn you. It wouldn't be fair.

I'm so glad you were able to ride Soarin' and meet up with your DIS friends! :goodvibes

He he.

For you....I will post it tonight. I think. :scratchin

And I learned from both you and KathyRN! :goodvibes :rolleyes1

:thumbsup2really enjoying your report Mary!!! so glad you and Joyce worked it out- it does get stressful on vacation anyhow and add in construction and all that and it can blow up. glad it turned out okay. love the CP pics- we missed it this trip (we were there 12/10-12/20), but i need to catch it sometime!!! thanks for sharing and looking forward to the rest.

Awesome! You got to meet the DISer sisters??? All three of you are rockstars!

I'm glad the GAC card worked well for her.

That is terrible about the passing out during the CP. I give those kids credit!

A DIS meet how cool... and they were already in the Land! It is amazing how some things work out. :wizard:
Not to mention all 3 of you were wearing pink? That is too funny! :)

I didn't know about the phone program. Is it dependent of people to enter the wait times? :confused3

Love the pink shirts! How fitting that your shirt says "Pink Party"! :thumbsup2 I'm sorry that your hard work wasn't appreciated. We all know what goes into the planning :-)surfweb::lmao:). Loving the TR so far. popcorn::

:thumbsup2really enjoying your report Mary!!! so glad you and Joyce worked it out- it does get stressful on vacation anyhow and add in construction and all that and it can blow up. glad it turned out okay. love the CP pics- we missed it this trip (we were there 12/10-12/20), but i need to catch it sometime!!! thanks for sharing and looking forward to the rest.

Thanks for posting!! :)

Oh, I hate that you missed CP this time! We were there practically the same dates! :)

Awesome! You got to meet the DISer sisters??? All three of you are rockstars!

I'm glad the GAC card worked well for her.

You are so funny. The GAC was a trip saver. We just would have had to skip some attractions.

That is terrible about the passing out during the CP. I give those kids credit!

A DIS meet how cool... and they were already in the Land! It is amazing how some things work out. :wizard:
Not to mention all 3 of you were wearing pink? That is too funny! :)

I didn't know about the phone program. Is it dependent of people to enter the wait times? :confused3

Are you familiar with the Touring Plans folks? Henry (don't know his last name...just Henry) and Len Testa? They have done all of this research over the past several years and have a formula for determine how long you will have to wait for an attraction at any given time. So, they have loaded those numbers (based on crowd scores)...but they are loaded ahead of time. Some things you just can't predict...like rain, etc, and the effect it will have...so it is not perfect.

But I was amazed at how accurate it was.

Plus you can enter wait times. But it posts your user name, which is good, because they can cull out anyone that is just feeding it bogus numbers or information.

I loved using it and used it a lot on our trip. :)

Love the pink shirts! How fitting that your shirt says "Pink Party"! :thumbsup2 I'm sorry that your hard work wasn't appreciated. We all know what goes into the planning :-)surfweb::lmao:). Loving the TR so far. popcorn::

They are from an old "Pink Party" we did at my old job for a breast cancer fundraiser.

They eventually appreciate it. ;)

You're a tricky chick with those cliffhangers.

So...working on that update? ;)

:cool1: After a fun afternoon eating at LeCellier, attending the Candlelight Processional and riding Soarin’ – we had to get back to the room and get settled. It was a little before 8:00 PM.

I was confused earlier in the day when they handed me the keys to the room because they had two keys with my name on them. So the CM at the desk took one of them back, there was no reason for me to have two keys. They had sent me a text earlier in the day with the room number. So, the four of us went to our room and walked in. I could not wait to see the Savannah View and check out our bunk beds! :woohoo:

So let me back up. We needed a bunk bed room because Joyce was going to sleep with Rachel, but Rosemary and I really didn’t know each other and wanted to have separate beds. We priced two rooms for the four of us and it was going to cost over $2000 more…not practical. So, we requested the bunk bed rooms, which accomplished our goal of needing the three beds in one room. In fact, this is one of the main reasons we were even staying at the AKL to start with.

But we also needed a few things for accessibility for Rachel. When I called to book the room they said that they had no handicapped rooms available for our dates on the Savannah with bunk beds. I was so sad. :sad1: So, we compromised and said we would take a regular room that was not technically labeled handicapped accessible if they would just add a transfer bench and a hand held shower head. We would just get Justin to help pick Rachel up if it was impossible for us to do it in the smaller bathroom.

So here we were...about to open the door to our room! We were all so excited! The stress from the day had melted away and the afternoon plans had gone off without a hitch. :thumbsup2

But I was in for a shock when I walked in the room. There was one bed. One. King. Sized. Bed. :eek: We are tired. There are four of us. And we have ONE bed? What the heck?!?! :eek:

At this point...I can feel Joyce looking at me. And I just can't believe that this got messed up. I had called...first when we got the room...again a month before we left, a week before we left and the day before we left to check on the room, make sure all of the notes were on the reservation.

Joyce about blew a gasket.

Maybe they gave us the wrong room number? But our keys worked - that can't be right. It is a handicapped accessible room. They have really messed this up. :sad2: Talk about some STRESS!! :scared1: :eek: :scared1:

So I walked to the Front Desk. Oh, Disney just has to fix this. What are we going to do? Joyce is going to kill me for messing this up. How did this get messed up? I have called 3 different times to confirm we have the things listed and the right kind of room. I was almost in tears. :sad1: Again. :rolleyes1

I got to the CM and she looked it up and was totally confused. She got her manager. The manager looked it up in her computer and said, "Oh, this is the room that they messed up this morning."

"Great," I thought. :rolleyes:

Then she looked at me and asked if I had gotten two sets of keys. And I remembered...they did have two keys for me. But they took it back because I didn't need two keys. :confused3

The manager explained that special reservations had not outfitted the bunk bed room, so they had to give us the handicapped room attached to the bunk bed room.

“So the second room is for Ellie’s family, right? Since they arrive tomorrow? We requested connecting rooms for them. So we get the room for tonight…what do we do tomorrow night? Is Ellie going to sleep in the bunk? We still need another bed? Will we have to move rooms tomorrow?" :confused:

I got a blank look from the Manager….”No, No…You get both rooms.”

“For just tonight and we move tomorrow?” I said.

“No – for the whole time. We are not going to make you move. The rooms are yours for the length of your stay. We made the error, so we have taken care of it for you.”

“Oh. My. Gosh." I said, "We get both rooms the whole time? You will have a total of three room for your party when they get here tomorrow."

Ok…I cried. Crocodile tears right there at the desk. “Thank you SOOOOOO much. Are you serious? Thank you so much. You just have no idea what this means for our trip. You have made our trip. Please extend our gratitude to whoever made that decision.” :worship:

I stood there and cried. I am crying again just writing this. I was so worried about this trip. So stressed that it would not work out right. And the fight with Joyce earlier that day and her not wanting to sleep in the queen bed with Rachel. It was really stressing me. Even more than I was willing to admit, I think. Until that moment. Disney. This is why I love Disney. Because if they can’t make it accessible – they make it right. They made the error, but had it fixed before we even arrived.

So, then I ran – broke out in a run right there through the lobby – back to the room. Because I could just imagine Joyce having a fit. And I was right. She was freaking out. :scared1: And I could not really blame her. :sad2:

She could tell I had been crying and as soon as I walked in the room she stopped and asked me, "What's wrong?"

But I could not even talk. I opened the door from their side between the rooms. Then walked outside and opened the outside door to the 2nd room...and opened the middle door.

"THIS is our room, too. They gave us TWO rooms."

And she was FLOORED. Really. Right there – it was like she suddenly “got it” – the Disney difference. Ok. This is going to be a GREAT trip!

And yet another blessing.

In a trip full of them.

The evening was long. By the time we got our luggage, got settled in the room, took care of Rachel’s needs, all took showers, etc (by the way, Joyce let me really help – I guess our little fight accomplished something for us :rolleyes1)…by the time we got in bed it was well after midnight. :faint:

We could not decide where to go in the morning. Ellie and family were not arriving until late in the afternoon the next day. It was late...and I knew whatever we did...It would not be at rope drop.

OMG!!!!

How wonderful!!!!

This is why I love Disney, I swear it. :love:

That was *wonderful*!! Disney does amazing things, don't they? When I hear of things like this, it really gives me chills.

Things are looking up for your trip! :)

That's fantastic, Maroo! That good old Disney Magic at work...

(But I'm guessing in all the excitement you forgot to check out your savanna view!) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Kathy

OMG!!!!

How wonderful!!!!

This is why I love Disney, I swear it. :love:

I know!

My feelings were so "hurt" when I first walked into the room...because I could not believe that Disney would mess up. :rotfl: But, of course, I should have never worried. :thumbsup2

That was *wonderful*!! Disney does amazing things, don't they? When I hear of things like this, it really gives me chills.

Things are looking up for your trip! :)

I cried again as I re-read what I wrote before I posted it today. It really was a moment that I won't forget and it really made our trip so much easier!

That's fantastic, Maroo! That good old Disney Magic at work...

(But I'm guessing in all the excitement you forgot to check out your savanna view!) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Kathy

:laughing:

Yeah...You know. I remember looking out that night and not being able to see much. By the time I was done "working" that night - getting unpacked, getting Rachel taken care of, etc (you know how all of that is)...I saw an unknown animal and went to bed!

But...don't worry...I take some time *very* soon to smell the roses. :)

Are you familiar with the Touring Plans folks? Henry (don't know his last name...just Henry) and Len Testa? They have done all of this research over the past several years and have a formula for determine how long you will have to wait for an attraction at any given time. So, they have loaded those numbers (based on crowd scores)...but they are loaded ahead of time. Some things you just can't predict...like rain, etc, and the effect it will have...so it is not perfect.

But I was amazed at how accurate it was.

Plus you can enter wait times. But it posts your user name, which is good, because they can cull out anyone that is just feeding it bogus numbers or information.

I loved using it and used it a lot on our trip. :)
I know Touring Plans.. don't know anyone's names though.

That really seems like a useful app. 1 more year then I can get rid of my awful phone. :sad2:

You guys got HOOKED UP with the room!!!!!! How awesome! Although they didn't want to upgrade you to concierge? :rolleyes1 :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter