• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Race Dots

Calfan

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking about buying some Race Dots as an alternative to those pesky safety pins but thought I would see if I could get some feedback from folks on this forum who use (or have tried) them before pulling the trigger. If you use Race Dots, are you happy with them? Are they fairly easy to use and do they stay on? Also, any issues with interference with timing mechanisms? If you use another brand, I'm also interested in hearing your feedback on those. Thanks!

I haven't used them. I have a fuel belt with a bib holder on it so have always just used that.

I'm thinking about buying some Race Dots as an alternative to those pesky safety pins but thought I would see if I could get some feedback from folks on this forum who use (or have tried) them before pulling the trigger. If you use Race Dots, are you happy with them? Are they fairly easy to use and do they stay on? Also, any issues with interference with timing mechanisms? If you use another brand, I'm also interested in hearing your feedback on those. Thanks!

I have been using Race Dots for quite a while now and they are the only bib attachment system I currently use. They are very strong and I have no concerns about them staying in place and have never had a bib shift or shed even one of the dots. They stay in place so well that they are very difficult to adjust once installed. Are they "fairly easy to use" is a much more complicated question. They can definitely be a challenge to get installed and, once installed, it can be a bit of a challenge to get the shirt on. The magnets are so powerful (hence the great job staying in place) that they have a tendency and affinity to attract one another. You have to be careful not to let them get too close to one another when a) installing the bib on the shirt and b) putting the shirt on. I actually purchased and modified the silicone installation guide that they sell and have found it helps a lot with getting them in place.

Bottom line, the extra effort required to get them in place is worth it to me so that I don't put pin holes in the nice running shirts I wear during races. I just make sure to install the bib on the shirt the night before so it's ready to go on race morning.

ETA: I've also used bib holders on race belts. Specifically, the Amphipod Race Belt. That works well, too, but it places the bib lower on my abdomen than I'm comfortable with. I feel like the bib is always flapping around my crotch or I'm constantly pulling the belt up to keep it in a better spot which drives me nuts during a race.

I have been using Race Dots for quite a while now and they are the only bib attachment system I currently use. They are very strong and I have no concerns about them staying in place and have never had a bib shift or shed even one of the dots. They stay in place so well that they are very difficult to adjust once installed. Are they "fairly easy to use" is a much more complicated question. They can definitely be a challenge to get installed and, once installed, it can be a bit of a challenge to get the shirt on. The magnets are so powerful (hence the great job staying in place) that they have a tendency and affinity to attract one another. You have to be careful not to let them get too close to one another when a) installing the bib on the shirt and b) putting the shirt on. I actually purchased and modified the silicone installation guide that they sell and have found it helps a lot with getting them in place.

Bottom line, the extra effort required to get them in place is worth it to me so that I don't put pin holes in the nice running shirts I wear during races. I just make sure to install the bib on the shirt the night before so it's ready to go on race morning.

ETA: I've also used bib holders on race belts. Specifically, the Amphipod Race Belt. That works well, too, but it places the bib lower on my abdomen than I'm comfortable with. I feel like the bib is always flapping around my crotch or I'm constantly pulling the belt up to keep it in a better spot which drives me nuts during a race.

Thanks!

Also a fan of the race dots. Just takes a minute to get them in place, but then, no issues at all, and no issues with timing devices so far, either.

I like them but they can be a hassle. If you hit up the bathroom or bend down to tie your shoe the top portion will attraction to bottom portion of your bib which can be annoying. My husband refuses to use them anymore because he gets irritated when trying to adjust them. I like them because I hate the pin holes in my clothes. The tip of putting them on the shirt prior to wearing it is probably the best way to use them.

I have used them and I like them sometimes. The problem is that the top and bottom can end up sticking to each other, as people have mentioned above. I haven't found this to be a problem with big bibs (like Disney or RnR) but it's more of a problem with small bibs at local races.

I have only tried using them twice, and I am currently back to regular safety pins. I think both options are slightly painful to put on, but the safety pins are lighter, so I choose them.

I have only tried using them twice, and I am currently back to regular safety pins. I think both options are slightly painful to put on, but the safety pins are lighter, so I choose them.

Interesting point about the weight. Have others found them to be noticeable heavy while running?

I have used Event Clips the last couple of years and they work very well, once on. It might take a couple of attempts to get it lined up, but I had the same issue with safety pins.. I don't think I will use safety pins again.

It was part of my running club goodie bag for the 2015/2016 season.

Interesting point about the weight. Have others found them to be noticeable heavy while running?

I don't notice any additional weight when using them. The shirt is heavier when picking it up and moving it around after they are installed, but once I've put it on it's not noticeable (to me, at least).

I don't notice any additional weight when using them. The shirt is heavier when picking it up and moving it around after they are installed, but once I've put it on it's not noticeable (to me, at least).

I agree, I don't notice the additional weight when wearing the shirt.

I agree that, once the shirt is on (and while running), the weight is not noticeable, but there is a weight difference when you have the race dots in one hand and the safety pins in another. If one was easier to line up and put on, I would base my decision on that; however, since they are both about the same [ease or difficulty] to put on, I choose the lighter of the two. Again, it's not a large enough weight difference to matter. I was just explaining my personal decision.

I agree that, once the shirt is on (and while running), the weight is not noticeable, but there is a weight difference when you have the race dots in one hand and the safety pins in another. If one was easier to line up and put on, I would base my decision on that; however, since they are both about the same [ease or difficulty] to put on, I choose the lighter of the two. Again, it's not a large enough weight difference to matter. I was just explaining my personal decision.

Got it. Thanks!

I agree.

When I put my bib on my SparkleAthletic skirt I could feel that the skirt was heavier. Kept it from riding up as much though. (yes they are "guaranteed" to not ride up. Means nothing. SA said, when I told them, that there's a small percentage of people who have bodies that ride up the skirts. I think I wiggle my butt too much; everything rides up on me!)

For those putting them on skirts or even lighter shirts, put two on top and just one on the bottom, in the middle (that means not using the handy holes for one), so that you lower the chance of them magnetizing together.

Anyone with wee children (or curious pets) around, do NOT leave them laying around! The magnets are STRONG. You don't want a child swallowing first one then the other. No no no.

I've used some fake RaceDots (forget the name, but they are basically the same.)

My take is this: they are OK but can be a pain to get on. And I mean a real pain, not just the minor adjustments you have to make with safety pins.

If you have your number ahead of time and can get it put on the night before, use them, so not a problem for Disney races.

If you get your number on race day, like local events, and are going to be putting the number on in your car or a restroom or on the ground, use safety pins.

The other thing to consider is how much do the pin holes bother you? My racing shirts are racing shirts (and cheap ones at that), so a few pin holes and rust stains don't bother me too much.

They weight is not noticeable, but it bothers me mentally. What's the physics equation? Work = force times distance? Then I think the RaceDots increase my mass, meaning I need more force to accelerate? My physics may be questionable, but I'm pretty sure it takes more of something to move the extra weight/mass down the course.

But I'm the kind of guy that tries to find the smallest safety pins for the same reason. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter