Quick trip report

S. Lopez

Earning My Ears
Our company decided that a quick trip to DLR was better option than a holiday party. So, yesterday at 7am we all flew from N. CA to SNA for a day trip. Our return flight was returning at 9:20pm, giving us plenty of time in the parks. To make the day even better we splurged for the VIP tour, which was really a great way to see as much as possible. In our group of 9 we had 3 people who were first timers, it was fun to see the park through their experience.

Our day started bright and early (5am wake up time to catch the 7am flight). I had arranged for the Super Shuttle to take us to DLR but one of our employees was flying out of a different airport and unfortunately was delayed. I told him to take a taxi or Uber from the airport to DLR and we would meet up with him there (bad idea).

We arrived at the park around 9 and swiftly make it through security and enter Disneyland with very little lines. We store out belongings in a locker and then grab a coffee. Our other employee finally lands and attempts to get an Uber, he ends up having all sorts of issues with Uber (cancellation of ride and then a driver who DID NOT KNOW WHERE TO GO). It took him over an hour to get to the parks. This also sucked because when he finally go into the security line, the line was snaked backed taking him about 30 minutes to get through.

I had already met our guide, as we were scheduled to begin our tour at 10am but because of the delay, we didn't start until 11am. After our last employee made it through the security line the guide took us through the exit to get us into the park asap. We met up with the rest of our group and were on our way. First stop Indy, great ride to start the day. Our guide was great at moving things along and hitting all of our requests.

We rode the following in one day: Indy, POTC, HM, Teacups, IASM, Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Star Tours (stopped for a Dole Whip) - walked over to DCA and rode Soarin', ToT, Radiator, Screamin' & TSM. We had dinner reservations at Cafe Orleans and barely had time to eat when the shuttle called and asked us to meet him in the McDonald's parking lot. All in all it was great day but a bit too long for me, I like a break mid-day to rest.

Now for some notable things that took place.

The VIP tour; this is the way to go when you have limited time. Our guide was different, she was very nice to us but her demeanor was not what i would call "Disney-ish", she was sort of aggressive. I'm an aggressive personality in certain situations and know full and well that I would not make a very good CM, I would describe her personality almost like mine. She would snap at people that stood in the way, if a random person asked her a question she was very abrupt with the answer, she was snippy with some of the other CMs that took too long to acknowledge her and the group. She wasn't overly chatty, which for me was great but I imagine others like an informed CM that shares tidbits about the park. If we asked specific questions she would answer and it was always interesting but she didn't offer up anything. I liked her (I know it sounds like I didn't) but for how I like to do things, she was right up my alley. I just imagine that she's not everyone's cup of tea. That said, she accomplished our list of rides, albeit, at a very fast pace - she walked faster then me (and I'm a fast walker). I would definitely do the VIP tour if I could, but the price is kind of outrageous. Thank you boss for springing for the luxury.

The other interesting thing that happened...a Kardashian run-in. When you do the VIP experience, for any ride that doesn't have fast pass you enter through the exit (similar to someone in a wheelchair). We enter IASM and as we waited for our turn I noticed a group that walked up...we were immediately told we would have to wait. I looked over and recognized one of them and asked our guide (kind of loudly), "are we getting bumped for the Kardashians", our guide shushed me. I guess I'm not allowed to say anything! Not only did we have to wait for them to board (and they must have had 12-14 people in their group, including about 4 security guards) but the held up 3 empty boats after them. Again I can only guess, but maybe they're worried that someone would throw something at them. Anyway, because they were so close I got a good look at the mom, she looked crazy!!! They were all dressed casually except her, she didn't look good. Well, she looked like a woman with too much plastic surgery, which isn't surprising, except when you see someone up close, no bueno. They moved on and we crossed our fingers that we wouldn't run into them again.

All in all the day was great, by the time I arrived home, 11:00pm, I was dead tired. But now I can say I experienced a one day VIP tour with newbies.

Sounds like a whirlwind trip! Kudos to you for being able to make it through -- I was exhausted just imagining it!

my observation of the vested folks is that have one sole purpose and that is not to give help to some sniveling tourist on the sidewalk. So that unapproachable veener serves you the paying guest well. as for "that cup of tea" ,nice meeting you....our daughter-in-law is very much like you, has to be, her workforce could use more than plastic surgery to survive under her management

Great report.

Speaking of the Kardashians; two years ago at DCA, their bodyguard literally yelled at me and told me to move away. I had no idea I was standing right next to one of the crazy daughters but I guess I was. :lmao: I looked at the guard, who I didn't know was a guard when he yelled at me, and told him to get lost and asked him who he thought he was?! They are a horrible people. :scared:

...The VIP tour; this is the way to go when you have limited time. Our guide was different, she was very nice to us but her demeanor was not what i would call "Disney-ish", she was sort of aggressive. I'm an aggressive personality in certain situations and know full and well that I would not make a very good CM, I would describe her personality almost like mine. She would snap at people that stood in the way, if a random person asked her a question she was very abrupt with the answer, she was snippy with some of the other CMs that took too long to acknowledge her and the group. She wasn't overly chatty, which for me was great but I imagine others like an informed CM that shares tidbits about the park. If we asked specific questions she would answer and it was always interesting but she didn't offer up anything. I liked her (I know it sounds like I didn't) but for how I like to do things, she was right up my alley. I just imagine that she's not everyone's cup of tea. That said, she accomplished our list of rides, albeit, at a very fast pace - she walked faster then me (and I'm a fast walker). I would definitely do the VIP tour if I could, but the price is kind of outrageous. Thank you boss for springing for the luxury...
I've been on a few tours, and VIP Guides do need to walk a fine line. While they must answer random questions from any guest, their responsibility is to keep the tour group moving. Some attractions CMs are inattentive to VIP Guides (perhaps purposely) while others seem to assist VIP Guides, so the VIP Guide might sometimes seem a little "snippy".

Unfortunately your day ended too early, so you could not take advantage of preferred viewing (in chairs) for any of the Nighttime Spectaculars (Fireworks, PTN, WOC) which is included with VIP Tours (the viewing can be after the tour ends).

Did you (or your boss) tip your Guide?
Many guests are not aware tipping is allowed.

In a normal (non-Disney) environment her demeanor wouldn't have surprised me but for some reason I always assumed that CMs (and VIP tour guides) are expected to be uber friendly & helpful, to everyone. In October I did the Happiest Haunts tour and that guide was interrupted so many times and she was always gracious to the person asking questions. It was distracting for the tour but I think we all understood it was her job to be helpful. I can imagine that they do have to walk a fine line - again, it's not a job for me and the type of person I am. Our guide did mention that they wanted to put her on the Kardashian group (specifically because of her no-nonsense approach) but she said she was already scheduled to be with us. She also said that she preferred not to be their guide, I'm guessing it was a bit too much, even for her.

In regards to tipping her. We didn't and I feel awful about it. We had a dinner reservation set for 5:50, we didn't get seated until close to 6:15. By the time we ate the driver of the shuttle bus called and I asked our guide to direct him to the best place to pick us up at 7:45 (the time we had agreed to) he wouldn't change his location (parking lot of the McDonalds) and he said he had to be there by 7:30. So all of sudden it became completely chaotic at the end, we were rushing to pay for our dinner (and this is where some confusion came into play). Everything I read about the guides said to invite them to eat with you and pay for their meal. So when the check comes we receive 2 separate checks, except I had gotten up when the server brought both checks and didn't realize this. As the guide grabbed her check I thought it was for the table and I asked her, oh, do you itemize the bill at the end (complete misunderstanding on both parts because I don' think she understood what I was asking). She said yes, and I was about to turn around when someone asked me if I planned on paying for dinner. I was so confused because I thought when we invited her to stay, we paid the check for her but then when I saw her paying I assumed she paid and then later on we would receive an itemize bill that included dinner. Stupid on my part. Now, we're running out of time because we now have about 15 minutes to pay the bill, grab our belongings from the lockers and then high-tail it over to the McDonald's parking lot. It was chaos and we ran out of the restaurant. I need to figure out how we can still get something to her.

...In regards to tipping her. We didn't and I feel awful about it.
...I need to figure out how we can still get something to her.
There is likely not much to be done at this point, but you could contact the tour department.
...Everything I read about the guides said to invite them to eat with you and pay for their meal...
Disney now pays for VIP Guide meals, using a special "meal plan" card. So don't feel bad about not paying her check.

Next time (I'm sure you hope there is a next time), your drop-off and pickup can be done at the Grand Californian. GCH does restrict pickups and drop-offs, but there should not be an issue when on a VIP Tour. Tours are often arranged with the VIP Guide meeting guests at the GCH. Valet parking is included with VIP tours.

Our guide was different, she was very nice to us but her demeanor was not what i would call "Disney-ish", she was sort of aggressive. I'm an aggressive personality in certain situations and know full and well that I would not make a very good CM, I would describe her personality almost like mine. She would snap at people that stood in the way, if a random person asked her a question she was very abrupt with the answer, she was snippy with some of the other CMs that took too long to acknowledge her and the group. She wasn't overly chatty, which for me was great but I imagine others like an informed CM that shares tidbits about the park. If we asked specific questions she would answer and it was always interesting but she didn't offer up anything. I liked her (I know it sounds like I didn't) but for how I like to do things, she was right up my alley. I just imagine that she's not everyone's cup of tea. That said, she accomplished our list of rides, albeit, at a very fast pace - she walked faster then me (and I'm a fast walker).

To make an omelet, you have to crack a few eggs. :yay:

I would imagine that a standard CM would be deficient at getting you your (enormous) investment's worth. I thin a no-bull, take-no-prisoners personality may be essential to get you through everything and maximize your day.

Sounds like a great time! Except the Karadahsian part. Not a fan of that family.

Question about guides...are these the ones with the plaid vests? We had a group in front of us wth a CM in a plaid vest but we were in the fastpass line, not going through the exit. Are there different types?

Question about guides...are these the ones with the plaid vests? We had a group in front of us wth a CM in a plaid vest but we were in the fastpass line, not going through the exit. Are there different types?
VIP Tours for "regular" guests use the fastpass line, and use the exit (or alternate entrance) on some attractions (Pirates, TSMM, Bobsleds, Nemo...). "Celebrity" guests may use an alternate entrance on more rides (even if there is a fastpass line), to avoid potential issues with other guests.

[SIZE=4 said:
Did you (or your boss) tip your Guide?
Many guests are not aware tipping is allowed.[/SIZE]
Hi Nonsuch and fellow Disers,
We were specifically told by our Club 33 connection that we should not tip our guide, simply pay for the meal at lunch. Is the Club 33 tour handled differently than the "standard" VIP tour? We will be doing our tour on December 30th with dinner the night before at Club 33. We are happy that our dinner is the night before so that we can take advantage of the Christmas Parade, Fireworks and PTN seating the day/night of our tour. We have the WOC dessert party booked for NYE.

Such a magical way to end 2016!
Should I expect the guide or guest services to contact us before the tour to ask about our preferences for the day?

Thanks
Mike

...We were specifically told by our Club 33 connection that we should not tip our guide, simply pay for the meal at lunch. Is the Club 33 tour handled differently than the "standard" VIP tour?
If your "Club 33 connection" instructs you to not tip, you should follow their instructions. I have been told by a member that Club 33 rules state that tipping is allowed, but not required. I personally have never had a VIP Guide refuse a tip.

Earlier this year, VIP Guides were issued "meal plan" cards, so their meals are paid by Disney. This matches an existing program at WDW.

There is likely a limit to the number of "Club" tours per day, or "paid" tours are given preference for booking. Once your reservation is confirmed, you should be good to go.
...Should I expect the guide or guest services to contact us before the tour to ask about our preferences for the day?
Your Club connection should be able to setup your tour time and preferred viewing (during or after the tour), there is not much else to be done.

Thanks Nonsuch!
We received our confirmation to Club 33 and our tour day from the member on Thursday. It included our PTN and Fireworks reserved viewing. Thanks for tipping advice too.
We are so excited, despite the crowds...
Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter