• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quick service restaurants

disney144

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are going to WDW for a week in January. It's his first trip and my third. We're considering sticking to quick service meals. We are concerned about budget and feeling restricted by our reservations.

Does anyone eat only at quick service restaurants? Is there enough variety? Which ones are your favorite? Do any have a cool atmosphere?

At Disneyland, we love hungry bear (sitting by the river).

Our first few trips years ago we at only at QS, though now we eat at a mix. There are a number of pretty decent QS options at Disney World, though a lot of the better ones aren't necessarily in the parks. Disney Springs has several highly regarded QS places. The best QS food we've had at Disney Wold was at Wolfgang Puck Express in Marketplace. Earl of Sandwich, Blaze Pizza and the new burger place (can't recall the name) all get good reviews though we've never been.

Here's a few places we like in the parks:

Magic Kingdom - Columbia Harbor House is usually mentioned as the "best" QS. The fried shrimp is pretty good and they offer salmon, soup, salads and other items. Much quieter sitting upstairs. Pinocchio Village Haus is hit or miss but we generally like their flat breads. Again, quieter upstairs and a decent view. There are a limited number of inside tables overlooking the loading area for Small World.

Animal Kingdom - lots of people like Flame Tree BBQ. I think the food there is only so-so but there is seating with some of the better views you'll find at a QS place. Yak & Yeti QS has a fried rice dish that isn't bad and is a great value.

Epcot - I like the bratwurst and potato salad from Sommerfest in Germany. Also really enjoy the sandwiches from Les Halles in France. Lots of indoor/air conditioned seating at Liberty Inn but the food isn't particularly great. Tangierine Cafe gets solid food reviews.

There are plenty of QS options that go beyond the standard burger/chicken nuggets/pizza type QS food. I would definitely recommend researching menus to see what appeals to you and to have somewhat of a plan so you aren't scrambling looking for a place last minute because that's when you tend to end up with yet another burger, at least that's how I am. Epcot especially has some great QS in World Showcase. MK has Columbia Harbor House, which is not your standard QS food and I like the flatbreads at Pinocchio Village Haus. I have not eaten much QS at DHS, so no comments there and at AK I have only done Flame Tree and it was pretty decent BBQ.

Anywhere in WS in Epcot has great QS, even China that doesn't get much love isn't horrible. All are pretty decent sized portions.
Pecos Bills at MK is a bit loud but the food is decent and the servings are easily shared.
I agree with Yak and Yet at AK, they also have the whole Harambe Marketplace now.
We like the outside of Hollywood Brown Derby at HS, it's nice and relaxing and a decent menu.

There are plenty of quick service restaurants so you could eat at a different one for each meal of your trip. My favorites are:

Magic Kingdom: Columbia Harbor House, Pecos Bill, Be Our Guest Lunch
Epcot: Sunshine Seasons, Tangerine Cafe
Hollywood Studios: PizzeRizzo, ABC Commissary
Animal Kingdom: Flame Tree BBQ, Pizzafari, Satu'li Canteen
Resorts: Contempo Cafe (Contemporary), The Mara (AKL)

There are plenty of quick service restaurants so you could eat at a different one for each meal of your trip. My favorites are:

Magic Kingdom: Columbia Harbor House, Pecos Bill, Be Our Guest Lunch
Epcot: Sunshine Seasons, Tangerine Cafe
Hollywood Studios: PizzeRizzo, ABC Commissary
Animal Kingdom: Flame Tree BBQ, Pizzafari, Satu'li Canteen
Resorts: Contempo Cafe (Contemporary), The Mara (AKL)
Ooh, ABC Commissary, totally forgot about that one!

My favorites, for atmosphere, are Tangerine Cafe in Epcot (overall favorite QS), Pizzafari in AK (can't beat air consditioning and themed rooms), upstairs at Pinochio Village House (yes, there's an upstairs), upstairs at Columbia Harbour House, and if you eat early, you can snag a table by the window over IASW at PVH and wave at the boats! As a solo, I did lots of QS only trips before I felt comfortable enough to do sit down solo.

Since an issue with most QS dining is feeling / sounding like you are in a cafeteria...
Some of my favorite views while QS dining are:
AK: Flame tree (if you go down by the river, it's a nice view of Everest
EPCOT: Mexico (on World Showcase)
MK: Caseys with a plaza view (my favorite view was the castle blew from Cosmic Rays, but I'm unsure of availability with the expansion project)
Also Sleepy Hollow has castle views and has a new hand-dipped corn dog!

DHS: practically no dining with a view. Min and Bills almost has a few tables with views of Echo Lake. The Brown Derby bar has a few outside tables with somewhat affordable options.

Of course BOG breakfast or lunch is a great experience.
A few "more affordable" TS are the Plaza in MK (sandwiches), SciFi (burgers).
In general non-buffet breakfast is a more affordable way to eat TS at a nice location.

My husband and I are going to WDW for a week in January. It's his first trip and my third. We're considering sticking to quick service meals. We are concerned about budget and feeling restricted by our reservations.

Does anyone eat only at quick service restaurants? Is there enough variety? Which ones are your favorite? Do any have a cool atmosphere?

At Disneyland, we love hungry bear (sitting by the river).

I would definitely do Flame Tree BBQ as the portions are large and getting the ribs, chicken and pulled pork to share is great. Just ask for an extra plate and go down by the water or over with a view of Expedition Everest (if you want, grab a few beers) and just sit and relax for a while.

Epcot - we like doing smaller portions at Lotus Blossom Cafe but it's great for us and a nice break. Then, we can go off and split fish and chips at UK.

Keep in mind that you don't have to make your ADRs out way in advance unless you really have to eat at a specific place, or if you were going during free dining. On my last trip, I made same day ADRs for dinners and there were many restaurants available. So if you're feeling that ADRs are too restrictive, just don't make any! You can still eat at TS restaurants if you feel like it.

We just do QS, plus 2 TS on non park days.

We love sunshine seasons, cosmic rays, pecos bills, a turkey leg, electric umbrella, the cantina in Mexico. Of course it's been 4 years so things have changed.

But there are varieties so we are not always eating a burger and fries!

MK: We absolutely love Pecos Bills. The burrito and nachos can be split, and you can pile the toppings from the toppings bar on your food - great stuff. We ate there 3 times on our last week long trip.
AK: Flame Tree or Yak and Yeti
HS: Backlot Express - I love the Caprese sandwich.
Epcot: Morocco is delicious. I really enjoyed the French Bakery in France. China isn't bad either. Sunshine Seasons has a lot of variety and the food has been pretty good when we have gone in the past.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter