questions comparing DL to WDW

tinker&belle

DIS Veteran
Hi...new to this part of the boards. We just took a trip to WDW in August (which was wonderful...) We will be going to a wedding in San Diego next April and are considering a short trip (maybe three nights?) to DL. I have been to DL for a conference once and stayed at the DL hotel. I only got to go to DL park for an evening, and am hoping to go to both parks this time. I did get to spend quite a bit of time in DTD in DL and liked it better than the one in WDW.

So here are some random DL questions, any answers would be very helpful.

1. I know in WDW we were allowed to bring water into the park, is this allowed in DL?

2. We loved loved loved the dining plan at WDW, but this one doesn't seem like as good of a deal. Any opinions? The good neighbor hotel we are considering has a continental breakfast, fridge and microwave, so since we will have a rental car we were considering lunch in the park and other meals at the hotel unless there is some fabulous plan?

Any great dining plans like at WDW I am missing?

3. We were considering staying at Park Vue. Any opinions on this (or another good neighbor hotel you would recommend?)

4.We also used Tour Guide Mike for WDW which was wonderful...anything comparable for DL?

Any other opinions from people who know both parks...? Any help would be appreciated.

tinker&belle said:
Hi...new to this part of the boards. We just took a trip to WDW in August (which was wonderful...) We will be going to a wedding in San Diego next April and are considering a short trip (maybe three nights?) to DL. I have been to DL for a conference once and stayed at the DL hotel. I only got to go to DL park for an evening, and am hoping to go to both parks this time. I did get to spend quite a bit of time in DTD in DL and liked it better than the one in WDW.

So here are some random DL questions, any answers would be very helpful.

1. I know in WDW we were allowed to bring water into the park, is this allowed in DL?
Sure

2. We loved loved loved the dining plan at WDW, but this one doesn't seem like as good of a deal. Any opinions? The good neighbor hotel we are considering has a continental breakfast, fridge and microwave, so since we will have a rental car we were considering lunch in the park and other meals at the hotel unless there is some fabulous plan?

Any great dining plans like at WDW I am missing?
Not Really

3. We were considering staying at Park Vue. Any opinions on this (or another good neighbor hotel you would recommend?)
Consider the Candy Cane Inn - a lot of people like this place, and they offer a complimentary shuttle so you wouldn't have to pay $10 parking everyday. They offer a deluxe continental breakfast

4.We also used Tour Guide Mike for WDW which was wonderful...anything comparable for DL?

Any other opinions from people who know both parks...? Any help would be appreciated.
I don't have any suggestions, but maybe the Disneyland guests do :)

HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME!

Try Ridemax.com for your trip to DL. I've done it several times, and have also told friends and it has worked great for everyone! Have a great time! :tinker:

tinker&belle said:

We used TGM for our WDW trip in June (and I really liked it), and there is nothing comparable for DLR. The reality is that WDW is a lot more complex than DLR, and a TGM-like resource just is not as necessary.

FWIW, I compiled alot of useful information and my WDW vs DLR observations in this lengthy thread "A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

Have a great trip.

HydroGuy said:
We used TGM for our WDW trip in June (and I really liked it), and there is nothing comparable for DLR. The reality is that WDW is a lot more complex than DLR, and a TGM-like resource just is not as necessary.

FWIW, I compiled alot of useful information and my WDW vs DLR observations in this lengthy thread "A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

Have a great trip.
HydroGuy, I have to disagree with you. I think Ridemax is the best thing out there. I've used it alot and it works great. Twice on probably the busiest days of the year at DL. The Sat. right after Christmas and New Years Eve. Our longest wait was 20 minutes. I call that unbelievable. I've also used Tour Guide Mike and I like RideMax better. (I hope I can say that???) Anyways, maybe Tinker&Belle won't need anything when they are going, unless it is spring break for schools and colleges. Otherwise, "You The Man" when it comes to info. I'm going to start a new thread so I can ask some questions for myself.
Tinker&Belle, good luck and have fun planning. Gotta love it! :tinker:

tinkermell said:
HydroGuy, I have to disagree with you. I think Ridemax is the best thing out there. I've used it alot and it works great.
Taking nothing away from either RideMax or TGM, RideMax and TGM are not equivalent. Which is why I said that there is no TGM-like resource at DLR.

RideMax is highly focused on guess what? Rides. It is what it is, and I agree it does what it does very well. BTW, RideMax released a WDW version in April. So they have versions for both DLR and WDW. And I have used RideMax for both resorts.

TGM is a resource just for WDW. And while it does address touring plans, it is also addresses restaurants, hotels, transportation, shows, water parks, and, in general, a philosophy of park touring. IMO the TGM philosophy is very parallel with RideMax, but TGM goes into much more depth than RideMax on "why" you should do or not do certain things. In addition, TGM has substantial forums where lots of good information is shared.

FWIW, when I go to WDW in the future I will use both TGM and RideMax. Not that I will follow RideMax verbatim, but I like having it as a resource.

When I go to DLR in the future, I will also always use RideMax. Same thing. Sometimes I will use it strictly for parts of days, other times as a general guide.

HydroGuy said:
Taking nothing away from either RideMax or TGM, RideMax and TGM are not equivalent. Which is why I said that there is no TGM-like resource at DLR.

RideMax is highly focused on guess what? Rides. It is what it is, and I agree it does what it does very well. BTW, RideMax released a WDW version in April. So they have versions for both DLR and WDW. And I have used RideMax for both resorts.

TGM is a resource just for WDW. And while it does address touring plans, it is also addresses restaurants, hotels, transportation, shows, water parks, and, in general, a philosophy of park touring. IMO the TGM philosophy is very parallel with RideMax, but TGM goes into much more depth than RideMax on "why" you should do or not do certain things. In addition, TGM has substantial forums where lots of good information is shared.

FWIW, when I go to WDW in the future I will use both TGM and RideMax. Not that I will follow RideMax verbatim, but I like having it as a resource.

When I go to DLR in the future, I will also always use RideMax. Same thing. Sometimes I will use it strictly for parts of days, other times as a general guide.
WOW! Quick response! Thanks! I DO agree with you on all of the info the TGM gives. And you are so right. RideMax is all about the rides. But usually when we go to DL, it is a bonsai trip with as much as we can see in one day. I guess I was used to RideMax, and having the rides all lined up for you. Prior to signinig up with TGM, I had another resource (Unofficial Guide), that practically gave me all the info I needed for our trip last Dec. to WDW. I had already done all of my planning as far as which parks and restaurants to go to for the week. Anyways, if we go back again to WDW, I will probably use TGM again and now RideMax, but this time, way before I start any planning!! :tinker:

Sorry, OP here, didn't intend to stir debate. TGM was SUCH a positive experience for us I was hoping to find something else for DL (although you could probably use his ideals there, I was just hoping for more info on DL rides.) Unfortunately, the wedding is the Sat. a week before Easter, so we will most likely be at DL the week prior to Easter, so I anticipate some crowds (if Easter is popular for DL like WDW...)

I'm also relooking at hotels after hearing negatives on Park Vue...we want something near the park (not needing the bus) with a fridge and preferably a microwave....A provided breakfast would be great. Any suggestions?

tinker&belle said:
I'm also relooking at hotels after hearing negatives on Park Vue...we want something near the park (not needing the bus) with a fridge and preferably a microwave....A provided breakfast would be great. Any suggestions?
I am sure you will get a ton of suggestions. When we stayed at the Best Western Park Place Inn (BWPPI) in 2005 for the first time, I was comparing it to Park Vue. I got scared away from Park Vue for the same reasons as you. The BWPPI is next door to Park Vue, so has equal location to DLR. BWPPI does have mini-fridges and microwaves, which we heavily used. I am not saying BWPPI is the best choice for everyone. For us it will be our preferred off-site choice until something better emerges primarily because of location and their mini-suites which have three queen-size beds (which works for our family of six). Plus it was clean and quiet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter