Question about Silhouette Cameo

Elliemay2

Mouseketeer
Hi! I'm about to take my Cameo out of the box. (After over a year of having it)

Question: I do NOT have Studio Designer Edition. I only have what my cameo came with (Silhouette Studio).
Can I still use SVG files? If now, what files do I use (DXF?).

Thank you much!

In order to utilize svg files you need to upgrade to the Studio Designer Edition.

I am unsure what DFX is as I have never utilized it.

Hopefully someone will stop by who can answer that question about DFX for you.

You should be able to use DXF files without having Designer Edition. There are also websites which sell Designer Edition cheaper than directly through Silhouette if you shop around a bit. I think it's a worthwhile upgrade.

I much prefer Make the Cut. I find it's better labeled, easier to find my way around. I also don't really like the way certain things in SDS reset. (Like when using a trace/print and cut design) I find their software frustrating when trying to edit things. This is probably a purely personal issue as I'm sort of software impared with most things!

That being said, I think you can convert SVG files to jpg and they'll work fine. You just have to figure out how to turn it into layers again.

Hi! Thanks everyone! I went ahead and bought DE for $25. I have purchased a few SVG files with the Disney images I want, now to figure out how to cut them...LOL :)
Surly it isn't that hard, I'm just a bit intimidated. One of the images has several colors that I will need to do. I guess I will have to some how cut each color separate, but I don't know if the SVG image separates or if I will have to manually do it....I'm lost HA!

I also don't know what I will need as for supplies other than heat transfer vinyl and what my Cameo came with.... ??? If I am doing heat transfer with fabric, do I need a special kind?

You may need to "ungroup" the SVGs. I think there may be a way to only cut certain colors, but I enjoy over complicating things (I'm an engineer, after all) and I bring in all the things I am cutting and sort them out by color and then arrange each color on the cutting mat area and cut them out. Last weekend I think I had 27 colors to do.

What kind of projects are you looking to do? I mostly do paper crafting and a little vinyl but have made a few shirts with HTV and am going to try my hand at some shirts for my next Disney trip using more than one color - a little intimidated but if I can do it with vinyl on a christmas ornament I think I can handle it on a tshirt. If they come out ok then maybe I'll get myself a heat press instead of just using an iron.

I'm a developer, so I'm sure I'll figure it out. I just want as much information I can get before I start. :) I am going to be doing HTV shirts for our trip. 6 shirts per person and we have 13 people!
We tried to keep them fairly simple since we haven't used the Cameo yet, but it seems that you can do pretty intricate designs if you have time to learn. I would love a heat press, ironing these on over 70 shirts is going to be a pain. I'm not alone though. This trip is for 3 families, each of us Moms are doing our own family group of shirts. I'm just the one with the Cameo. We have ordered all of the colors for each design we need and some fabric for some animal print mickey head shirts. We have also ordered all of the shirts. We were going to start on them this Wed, but I had to go to Dallas for business. Hopefully we will have our first design cut out by next Wed. We are going to tackle one design a week. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter