Question about placeholder

sadiecatie

DIS Veteran
Trying to clarify my understanding of the rules on placeholders - you can book two $250 placeholders per stateroom/address while on board, and they have to be used for the same future cruise, yes?

Could we use those placeholders to book one room for our family and one room for friends at the same time? Would they be able to be in charge of payments etc. for their room even if we booked it (assuming we could do that)?

You can book up to 2 placeholders on board to use on the same future cruise, but you have to use one of those rooms for yourselves - the other can be for friends/family and yes they will be able to handle their own payments etc. as they will be separate reservation numbers.

Trying to clarify my understanding of the rules on placeholders - you can book two $250 placeholders per stateroom/address while on board, and they have to be used for the same future cruise, yes?

Could we use those placeholders to book one room for our family and one room for friends at the same time? Would they be able to be in charge of payments etc. for their room even if we booked it (assuming we could do that)?
They do have to be for the same cruise but they do not need to be booked at the same time.

if you use the placeholder for the next cruise, but then go and change that cruise (before any penalty deadlines) - can you rebook with the placeholder discount again? Or would you lose it and if you cancel and book another cruise, it would now be at full price without placeholder discount?

You can change to a different cruise and keep the placeholder discount, as long as the new cruise also leaves within 2 years of the date you originally booked the placeholder.

If you cancel a cruise, you lose the placeholder discount.

You can change to a different cruise and keep the placeholder discount, as long as the new cruise also leaves within 2 years of the date you originally booked the placeholder.

thanks. So i just need to change it and not cancel and rebook - and that will let me keep the placeholder discount? Thank you for your response!

Last edited:
thanks. So i just need to chance it and not cancel and rebook - and that will let me keep the placeholder discount? Thank you for your response!

Do you mean “change“ instead of “cancel”. Then, yes, call and “modify” your reservation. The Reservation # will be the same and be linked to your discount and will now be on whatever new ship, date, itinerary you pick.

Do you mean “change“ instead of “cancel”. Then, yes, call and “modify” your reservation. The Reservation # will be the same and be linked to your discount and will now be on whatever new ship, date, itinerary you pick.
yes, typo fixed. meant "change" - thanks!

Hi - one more follow up question. If I booked two placeholders (same family/address) I know I have to use both on the same cruise. Do I have to book both at the same time? Can I pick a room and then call back later and add a second room? Or will the second one cancel if I only book one room to start?

You can definitely just book one to start and come back and book the other later. Just let the agent know that you still want to keep the second placeholder and book it later - it will stay "attached" to your reservation. If you end up not needing the second room, you can cancel it later. We did exactly this with our last placeholder booking - we booked 2 rooms just in case but ended up not having anyone join us.

You can definitely just book one to start and come back and book the other later. Just let the agent know that you still want to keep the second placeholder and book it later - it will stay "attached" to your reservation. If you end up not needing the second room, you can cancel it later. We did exactly this with our last placeholder booking - we booked 2 rooms just in case but ended up not having anyone join us.
thanks! I have a travel agent (who does not seem sure about how it works). When you say you "booked 2 rooms" - you mean two placeholders, yes? And then you only booked 1 room and left the second placeholder "attached" without actually booking a room and no deposit down? And then you can call back and add a room or cancel the placeholder at a later date?

Sorry yes...I meant that we "booked" 2 placeholders, then just transferred one of them to the actual cruise. When you actually pick the cruise you want to go on, you can book just 1 of the reservations at a time if you aren't sure if someone else is going to join you yet. So you will have 1 cruise booked, and still have 1 placeholder that you can leave alone until you're ready to book it. When I did this, the agent just told me not to worry, that the 2nd stateroom (placeholder) would just stay attached to my full reservation - even if I was to change to a different cruise - and that once i knew who was coming along I could call back. In our case we didn't end up using it so we just cancelled the 2nd placeholder. The only time this may not work i suppose would be if the cruise you wanted sold out before you transferred the second cabin to it.

You're travel agent should be able to verify this with the cast member when they call to transfer the placeholder(s) to the actual cruise you want.

Sorry yes...I meant that we "booked" 2 placeholders, then just transferred one of them to the actual cruise. When you actually pick the cruise you want to go on, you can book just 1 of the reservations at a time if you aren't sure if someone else is going to join you yet. So you will have 1 cruise booked, and still have 1 placeholder that you can leave alone until you're ready to book it. When I did this, the agent just told me not to worry, that the 2nd stateroom (placeholder) would just stay attached to my full reservation - even if I was to change to a different cruise - and that once i knew who was coming along I could call back. In our case we didn't end up using it so we just cancelled the 2nd placeholder. The only time this may not work i suppose would be if the cruise you wanted sold out before you transferred the second cabin to it.

You're travel agent should be able to verify this with the cast member when they call to transfer the placeholder(s) to the actual cruise you want.
thank you!

Reactions: Aby
For sailings of 7 days of more, the deposit is reduced to 10% (instead of 20%) when using a placeholder to book a cruise. Since you pay $250 per cabin when you book the placeholder, you just need to pay the difference when you actually pick the cruise.

Do you have to book a 7 day cruise in order to get the discount?

Do you have to book a 7 day cruise in order to get the discount?
The 10% off cruise fare is for any sailing that is not in the Blackout Date list. (The list only shows currently bookable cruises - expect more dates when Summer and beyond sailings are announced).

Reduced deposits for 7+ night sailings. I think there has been a deposit sale recently.

No more OBC (that used to exist).

IMG_7020.png
IMG_7021.jpeg

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/future-cruise-onboard-offer/

Can you pick the room using placeholder or is it a guaranteed category type booking?
A placeholder is just basically a commitment to book a future cruise at a discounted rate - other than the fact that you have to call DCL to book (you can't use your discount when booking online), it's no different than a regular booking (meaning yes, you can pick your stateroom).

ETA: and when I say commitment, it's also non-binding - if you don't use it, they refund the money you spent ($250).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter