• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about Knights and Lights/DLP

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
I'm doing the K&L ABD with a group in early June. (Any body want to join us? :goodvibes) I was wondering if anyone has done the add-on at the end for Disneyland Paris? How did that work? Did you do 1 extra day, or 2? I've heard DLP is smalll; how many days would you do? Are the VIP Fastpasses, etc worth it? The add-on is rather expensive, and I'm torn about doing it through ABD for all the "special touches" and them taking care of the transfers and all, or getting myself to DLP and then back to the airport afterwards. I'm definitely leaning towards doing it through ABD, but thought I'd get some opinions.

Thanks!
Sayhello

Sayhello, Briar Rose who posted a lot last summer went to DLP with her daughter. I bet you could look through some posts from May or June and find some information.

I haven't seen her post for a while.

I'm doing the K&L ABD with a group in early June. (Any body want to join us? :goodvibes) I was wondering if anyone has done the add-on at the end for Disneyland Paris? How did that work? Did you do 1 extra day, or 2? I've heard DLP is smalll; how many days would you do? Are the VIP Fastpasses, etc worth it? The add-on is rather expensive, and I'm torn about doing it through ABD for all the "special touches" and them taking care of the transfers and all, or getting myself to DLP and then back to the airport afterwards. I'm definitely leaning towards doing it through ABD, but thought I'd get some opinions.

Thanks!
Sayhello

I would do two days. There are two parks and while they might be small if it is crowded you may not be able to do all you want if you only have one day and need to do two parks. If the VIP fast passes are like the ones on Backstage Magic then they are definitely worth it, the ones on Backstage Magic don't have a specific ride on them only the date and you could use them in either park in California.

We did the add-on for DLP after K and L last December--definately do two days, and I'd recommend the VIP Fastpass package. The train station is right at the park, so you could train there and back--but it was sure nice being picked up and taken to DLP at the end of our stay in Paris with ABD and then be taken to the airport from DLP. Sure took the stress out of getting around and worrying about the train schedule, lugging bags etc. The two parks are great--and the roller coaster type rides more intense than those in the states.

Sayhello, Briar Rose who posted a lot last summer went to DLP with her daughter. I bet you could look through some posts from May or June and find some information.

I haven't seen her post for a while.
Thanks 2GirlsMama, I'll look through her posts!

I would do two days. There are two parks and while they might be small if it is crowded you may not be able to do all you want if you only have one day and need to do two parks. If the VIP fast passes are like the ones on Backstage Magic then they are definitely worth it, the ones on Backstage Magic don't have a specific ride on them only the date and you could use them in either park in California.
That makes sense. Although I've read there's not much to the Disney Studios park. Although those reports are a couple of years old... But a full day for the Magic Kingdom would probably be needed...

We did the add-on for DLP after K and L last December--definately do two days, and I'd recommend the VIP Fastpass package. The train station is right at the park, so you could train there and back--but it was sure nice being picked up and taken to DLP at the end of our stay in Paris with ABD and then be taken to the airport from DLP. Sure took the stress out of getting around and worrying about the train schedule, lugging bags etc.
I have to admit, that was the one downside of doing my "post-Alaska" stuff on my own... it would have been nice to have had the shlepping & transportation all taken care of by ABD. I really felt the difference between "Being taken care of" vs. "Not being taken care of". :)

The two parks are great--and the roller coaster type rides more intense than those in the states.
More intense??? Now that could be a real problem for my poor herniated disk! Oi! My back hurts already just thinking about it! (Rockin' Roller Coaster just about did it in!)

Thanks for all the advice, folks!

Sayhello

I am going to echo earlier statements, but that gives them more credit. I agree with the two day park visit, one just wouldn't give you enough time. We found that the FastPass was only applicable to a few rides, not as many as the US parks generally have. (Check ahead and see if the rides available for FP interest you.) In terms of 'better' roller coasters - I agree. It seems that since the park is only 16 years old, they took the US rides and added more detail. Even rides like 'Small World' have extra touches with a walking tour at the end. Finally, the transportation to/from the park to the hotels and airport was phenomenal - trying to navigate that on our own would have been challening. Add the days to the end of your vacation - it's a Disney experience that caps off the entire adventure!!

I am going to echo earlier statements, but that gives them more credit. I agree with the two day park visit, one just wouldn't give you enough time. We found that the FastPass was only applicable to a few rides, not as many as the US parks generally have. (Check ahead and see if the rides available for FP interest you.) In terms of 'better' roller coasters - I agree. It seems that since the park is only 16 years old, they took the US rides and added more detail. Even rides like 'Small World' have extra touches with a walking tour at the end. Finally, the transportation to/from the park to the hotels and airport was phenomenal - trying to navigate that on our own would have been challening. Add the days to the end of your vacation - it's a Disney experience that caps off the entire adventure!!
Disney Dree, thanks so much for that input! It's really useful! You guys are all so great.

Sayhello

We did this add on with AbD and had the transfers taken care of through Disney. On the last morning of AbD, there were 5 couples going onto DLRP with the add-on so we all went by bus. 4 couples, including us, chose to stay at Disneyland Hotel and 5h couple stayed at Sequoia (I think).

For us, that first morning was a Friday. We go to DLRP early, checked into our hotel and got our park tickets and VIP fastpasses and we were in the park by 11am. The hotel staff took care of our luggage; we did not go to our room, straight to the parks. There was no need for those fastpasses on that Friday; the park was pretty empty. We spent that entire first day at Disneyland Park.

On Saturday, with more crowds, we did use the VIP fastpasses but there are only about 9 rides that have them. Still, it was helpful. We started the day at the Studios park but didn't do much there. We definitely hit Crush's coaster first, well worth it, but we found most everything was similar to WDW so we headed back to Disneyland Park by noon.

Our checkout was on Sunday, a private car and driver picked us up at the hotel and took us to CDG for our flight home. We had an early flight, got picked up at 9am, but the others all had later flights than we did and I'm sure they spent that Sunday morning in the parks.

I felt like having almost all day Friday with no crowds plus Saturday was a fair amount of time and we got to see and ride everything we wanted to. We even did a princess character lunch.

I thought this add on was well worth the money. I absolutely loved DLRP.

We did the add on for a family of five including mom, dad and two teenagers plus grandmom. If we had to decide again, would not go at all. DLP was ridiculously expensive, especially from a food perspective if staying at hotels. Not at all like we expected from 30 plus years of trips to WDW and a variety of pricing at hotels for different types of meals.

Knights and Lights was amazing, wonderful, whatever fabulous adjective you want to add, but DLP was disappointing for the price. Wish we had flown from Paris to Orlando to finish up the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter