Question about Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts

How can I convince my hubby (who almost lost his breakfast on FJ in 2010) that he should try Gringotts? Is there a ride he could try first, for the feel? We are in the process of trying out different motion sickness medications to help him.

I plan on having him watch a POV video on youtube, but those tend to make him more apprehensive rather than help.

He loves HP and I'd love for him to ride this with us. I know FJ is out. He will not do that again after his last experience)! But I think he will be okay on Gringott's.

Other than ET and the High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Ride, Gringotts is the ONLY other ride I can do! Even the stationary seats for Despicable Me and Shrek were a once and done due to all the motion sickness inducing 3D.

Gringotts has a beginning incline of about 45 degrees to start and then when released you go very fast in darkness with a couple of turns. That is the "scariest" part. The front row (rows 1 or 4 of the two carts) feels less intense than rows 3 or 6. This beginning part lasts maybe 15-20 seconds.

SPOLIER
There are simulated scenes using the 3D glasses but none of that made me queasy. There was one scene with the trolls and immediately after when the 3D screen makes it seem as though your cart is falling. It is very very brief, and I just closed my eyes for the 5 seconds or so.

The carts do turn, sometimes 180 sometimes 360, but these are TURNS, not SPINS. I cannot do Men In Black because the cars spin according to my DS, and I will be queasy all day so I just don't even try. My love for Harry Potter overrode my hesitation for rides, and I was so glad! I can, and have, rode it 2-3 times in a row without any ill effects! I don't have to close my eyes anymore for that troll scene!

I really hope your DH gives it a shot!

Thank you! That is helpful. It sounds like your tolerance for rides is in line with my hubby. He did Cat in the Hat (before they tamed the spins) and got very diizzy! we made fun of him for that, just a little! :D Then, after FJ he was done for the day so I have no idea what other rides he will do.

Thank you! That is helpful. It sounds like your tolerance for rides is in line with my hubby. He did Cat in the Hat (before they tamed the spins) and got very diizzy! we made fun of him for that, just a little! :D Then, after FJ he was done for the day so I have no idea what other rides he will do.

Philly, lots of people swear by the scopolamine patch. It doesn't make them groggy and lets them ride mostly everything. It seems to be the best solution out there for people who just can't get anything else to be effective.

Hubby has tried that and *hated it*. Dramamine makes him tired, even the non-drowsy formula and bonine makes him lightheaded. I'm going to give him meclizine (sp?) next and see how that affects him.

Hubby has tried that and *hated it*. Dramamine makes him tired, even the non-drowsy formula and bonine makes him lightheaded. I'm going to give him meclizine (sp?) next and see how that affects him.

Meclizine is the active ingredient in Bonine and Less Drowsy Dramamine.

Thanks! I didn't realize that! :blush: I guess Mescaline is out too!

Meclizine is the one that works best for me. I buy the no name brand at Walmart for a fraction of the Bonine price. Sounds like you are running out of options.

Yea. But in a way he is okay with not doing rides. He is just looking forward to looking through the shops and relaxing on a bench . He missed out on some of the shops in Hogsmeade on the last trip bc he was so sick from FJ.

have you tired ginger capsules? They work for me. I am the biggest ride chicken in the world. I want to try Gringott's but someone

compared it to Big Thunder at MK- I tried this one time and never again! Even the drop on Pirate's kills me:rolleyes1

I have ginger candy. It helps with nausea but not dizziness- which is hubby's biggest problem. I didn't mean to turn this into a motion sickness thread! Sorry OP!!! :flower3:

have you tired ginger capsules? They work for me. I am the biggest ride chicken in the world. I want to try Gringott's but someone

compared it to Big Thunder at MK- I tried this one time and never again! Even the drop on Pirate's kills me:rolleyes1

Gringotts is no way as bad as BTMRR. It is at worst like Goofy's Barnstormer but with a lot less constant motion than Barnstormer.

Gringotts is nothing at all like Big Thunder. It has one drop about the size of Pirates and then it zooms along at about the fast speed of the People Mover. If my 88 year old mother in a wheelchair can do it, anyone can do it.

Forbidden Journey makes me a little whoozie as well as does Dueling dragons which is a shame cause I love both of them. Anybody have good results using any of the motion sickness patches or pills on these rides. For me no amount of pills or patches would let me ride the Tea Cups at Disney :scared::scared:

I get motion sick pretty easily. I take 24 hour bonine at night before I go to bed (it can make you drowsy) and I haven't had any issues with the simulator rides. I still won't do the big coasters or the tea cup type things, but I can do Mummy, FJ, Spiderman, etc. Simpsons I did get a bit queasy though.

I am a ride whimp. I love Gringotts. A great deal of fun. I can only do FJ so much but Gringotts is much easier.

Thank you so much everyone! I know it's hard to compare US and WDW rides as they are so different, I just needed to know if we are looking at a Rocking Rollercoaster situation of something more tame like BTMRR. I tried looking at youtube videos, but it's so hard to tell and I couldn't find on that showed the ride with the lights on.

DS (like me) isn't one for intense roller coasters (7DMT is my favorite coaster :rolleyes1 ) and tends to have more fun looking at and taking pictures of the themeing, watching shows and going on tamer rides.

I think DS will like Gringots and they'll give it a try next month.

Forbidden Journey makes me a little whoozie as well as does Dueling dragons which is a shame cause I love both of them. Anybody have good results using any of the motion sickness patches or pills on these rides. For me no amount of pills or patches would let me ride the Tea Cups at Disney :scared::scared:

I use Meclizine and never have any issues with motion sickness on rides. I usually take one the evening before I plan on visiting a park and then one in the morning and I am good all day. They are non drowsy as well. I think in the store they are called Bonine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter