Question about growing lavender in a window box

TXTurtle

Earning My Ears
This is a newbie question but, well, I'm a newbie to gardening so I guess it's natural ... anyway last fall I bought two small sweet lavender plants for my window box. I live in an apartment so that's the best I can do for now ... anyway, not knowing what to do I put those two small plants in a 20" box with dreams of them flurishing and filling it. Yeah. Hasn't happened. They've just grown very "leggy" (for lack of a better word) - brown and leafless the first few inches, loooong branches coming out at odd angles above that. They look like neglected weeds. Or looked - today I got tired of them looking so sad and trimmed them way down with my little pruning scissors. Now what? How can I encourage them to grow fuller rather than just long? Any tips? Oh, and along with trimming I added another plant (not a lavender - unfortunately I don't remember what type it is. Bad me) to the box so it doesn't look so bare. So anyway, any tips?

What are the conditions it's growing in? Full sun is necessary for healthy growth. The potting mix must be well-drained...lavender does not tolerate wet feet. Do not overfeed, it will encourage soft growth.

It's in a window facing due SW so it gets full afternoon sun most days. With the massive amount of rain we've been getting here in the DFW area it hasn't been getting the sun it normally would for this time of year ... but that's life. I try to water only when the ground is dry and, b/c of that, I guess, the leaves are really fragrant. Have only fertilized it once since planting mostly because I keep forgetting. Does that help? Oh, box is 20" by 4", dirt is standard potting soil. Thanks!!

It could very well be the rain, or the lack of sun, effecting its growth. Yyou've already done what I would have done, which is prune it back, and hope for the best, and a change in weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter