Question about do not disturb on door

When I was at OKW in January, I was present for just one 'trash removal' visit. The CM was quick and very quiet. When I was at Movies last month, I opted out of housekeeping. I hung out the 'room occupied' sign when I was in the room. The only time anyone knocked was the day I got there. And it wasn't housekeeping..it was management of some sort, checking to make sure everything was okay with the room! After that....no trash was ever picked up. I realize that I opted out of housekeeping but I thought I would still have that one visit each day to deal with the trash/security.

When I was at OKW in January, I was present for just one 'trash removal' visit. The CM was quick and very quiet. When I was at Movies last month, I opted out of housekeeping. I hung out the 'room occupied' sign when I was in the room. The only time anyone knocked was the day I got there. And it wasn't housekeeping..it was management of some sort, checking to make sure everything was okay with the room! After that....no trash was ever picked up. I realize that I opted out of housekeeping but I thought I would still have that one visit each day to deal with the trash/security.

I'm sure you had the security visit while you were out. When you opt out of housekeeping and not staying DVC on points, there's no trash removal. Just a,security check.

We had some early knocks on our room at POFQ last week - I did a full post in the sticky on the subject if you want to read my full report.

According to my conversation with the Manager at POFQ - housekeeping, maintenance and hospitality are NOT authorized to knock when the new room occupied signs are on the door. Security however is - he said they will be in suits or uniforms and have clearly visible name tags and if they feel the need to do a security check they will. He said that using the door hanger or requesting a specific time for housekeeping shouldn't be a cause for alarm ... but based on reports here I am not sure that is the reality of this.

After my first day at POFQ I had no further issues with room disturbances during a 10 night stay - split between POFQ, OKW and then CSR.

Well ............. January trip, every single day, every time my sign was up, and every time they were all in Housekeeping uniforms (one day the one who came had on a coat covering her top and name tag, but same pants as others) ............ so nothing they told you was adhered to on my trip. And this doesn't count the bizarre interaction I had being met at my door ...

I don't think they have a clue what they are doing, what the procedures & rules are and will tell guests anything they think will make them happy to end the conversation.

PS Due to the intrusion I stayed offsite last week where I still got a real Do Not Disturb sign AND a paper telling me they would not bother me, and I spent a fair amount of time in room with sign up ...... never was bothered.

Last edited:
Well ............. January trip, every single day, every time my sign was up, and every time they were all in Housekeeping uniforms (one day the one who came had on a coat covering her top and name tag, but same pants as others) ............ so nothing they told you was adhered to on my trip.

I don't think they have a clue what they are doing, what the procedures & rules are and will tell guests anything they think will make them happy to end the conversation.

PS Due to the intrusion I stayed offsite last week where I still got a real Do Not Disturb sign AND a paper telling me they would not bother me, and I spent a fair amount of time in room with sign up ...... never was bothered.

Totally agree but since I wasn't bothered again it was a win for us.

I will probably be offsite next visit as well - between the 4+ disturbances prior to 10am day one at POFQ, the multiple trips to the front desk because MB's wouldn't open the door and the issues I am having with MDE I am about to move my May trip from the Polynesian to the Dolphin. It seems that everything is an issue between Disney and I right now lol.

We may visit one more time late summer to see what the Toy Story area is all about but after that i think I will take a break from Disney. Our AP's expire in September and for the first time in 8 years we are likely not to renew, may even go with US instead for our Florida trips.

Well ............. January trip, every single day, every time my sign was up, and every time they were all in Housekeeping uniforms (one day the one who came had on a coat covering her top and name tag, but same pants as others) ............ so nothing they told you was adhered to on my trip.
Well, but January was more than two months before the PP's conversation.

Things change.

I am sure this has been asked but what is the policy now? There are a few mornings when I like to relax inside my room. I would usually put the do not disturb sign on but from what I've heard that signage is not at the resorts now. So what happens now? Am I supposed to tell the CM's at the front desk what hours I'm in the room? Totally confused. Need some help or feedback.

Just got back. Sign now states room occupied and our room was never disturbed while we had the sign up.

Well, but January was more than two months before the PP's conversation.

Things change.

I hear you but this would be a major change, about face ... and this is the only report I've heard of that explanation, and at a singular resort. The only report I've seen of Security being used is a report that Security and Management were bypassing locks on a neighboring room. All reports have been this is being done by Housekeeping ........ and honestly I don't think Disney has enough Security to implement this solely with them. They are rarely seen at resorts, they are never around when there are disturbing guests and I've personally seen them not handle resort situations.

Maybe the outrage has caused Disney to back off this and looking at more appropriate ways to monitor their rooms ........... but for now I'm not trusting that they have. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay offsite that had a real DND sign and a paper in the room telling me to hang it to avoid any disturbance.

Maybe the outrage has caused Disney to back off this and looking at more appropriate ways to monitor their rooms.

We can only hope

Maybe the outrage has caused Disney to back off this and looking at more appropriate ways to monitor their rooms.

We can only hope
Not likely at all. But I do bet time has given them a chance to roll out the policies more thoroughly. Clearly something they should have done before starting but clearly something they did not do.
In what has become the new Disney way, they put the cart before the horse and started the policy, then set the rules and then gave the staff instructions on how to do it. Now it's getting out to everyone and that seems to be where it's settling down and making a more logic sense. At least that's how I see it. I could be wrong too

I doubt it. More likely they've finally got everybody (CM's) on the same page and training. Plus people are finding through actual experience that it really isn't a big deal.

I doubt it. More likely they've finally got everybody (CM's) on the same page and training. Plus people are finding through actual experience that it really isn't a big deal.

Or maybe Disney has realized that it's only a matter of time before someone realized how easy it is for ANYONE to knock and demand entry to a resort room and people will feel that they are REQUIRED to open the door and let the stranger in.

~NM

There had to be a "process" given to employees to even start this since it was something completely new to the resort operations. Folks didn't start just randomly doing whatever for no reason ... they were given instructions. They were following instructions. It didn't go well.

In typical Disney fashion they didn't look at the bigger picture, they didn't look at the ramifications, they didn't look at the loopholes, they didn't look at the potential litigation that could result ............. all of these are typical Disney moves. They got backlash, they got complaints, they got some (not enough) bad press, they got plenty report to them they were moving offsite, they got offsite hotels like mine leaving notes to guests that we won't do that to you, am sure they got disgruntled employees ........... and from managers to corporate they heard this is not appropriate behavior.

You will never convince me that this was just a slow distribution of a procedure ......... if true ....... this is a complete about face of the procedure they initiated (by their own admittance over and over) and they have backtracked it. And so interesting that this comes after the second round of backlash for the parking fee.

There had to be a "process" given to employees to even start this since it was something completely new to the resort operations. Folks didn't start just randomly doing whatever for no reason ... they were given instructions. They were following instructions. It didn't go well.

In typical Disney fashion they didn't look at the bigger picture, they didn't look at the ramifications, they didn't look at the loopholes, they didn't look at the potential litigation that could result ............. all of these are typical Disney moves. They got backlash, they got complaints, they got some (not enough) bad press, they got plenty report to them they were moving offsite, they got offsite hotels like mine leaving notes to guests that we won't do that to you, am sure they got disgruntled employees ........... and from managers to corporate they heard this is not appropriate behavior.

You will never convince me that this was just a slow distribution of a procedure ......... if true ....... this is a complete about face of the procedure they initiated (by their own admittance over and over) and they have backtracked it. And so interesting that this comes after the second round of backlash for the parking fee.
Of course they didn't just randomly decide to start doing this. Someone told them to. But, I do totally believe someone told them to start doing room checks and then gave them NO guidelines and NO instructions on how to go about it whatsoever. Leaving each individual to figure it out on their own. Not necessarily each individual Housekeeper but each individual resort, maybe even each individual shift manager or dept. manager. Who knows. So there was no consistency. Even within a single resort. And I do believe that they realized that was rather stupid and they might should issue a guideline that every resort and every shift and every dept has to follow. Be that from feedback, from common sense, or whatever.

Of course they didn't just randomly decide to start doing this. Someone told them to. But, I do totally believe someone told them to start doing room checks and then gave them NO guidelines and NO instructions on how to go about it whatsoever. Leaving each individual to figure it out on their own. Not necessarily each individual Housekeeper but each individual resort, maybe even each individual shift manager or dept. manager. Who knows. So there was no consistency. Even within a single resort. And I do believe that they realized that was rather stupid and they might should issue a guideline that every resort and every shift and every dept has to follow. Be that from feedback, from common sense, or whatever.

Well there have been posts that lean towards there was no plan, only CMs doing what they thought should be done waiting to finally get instructions .... months later.

But even within the inconsistency - there was consistency.
- Get no housekeeping, expect a knock while you were in your room, sign or no sign
- Ask housekeeping to come later since they hadn't done your room yet, expect a knock shortly while sign was up
- Housekeeping performing security checks
- Mostly men entering rooms (based on reports) ... that took a directed effort
- Room checks at the beginning and end of "housekeeping" hours ... while many in their rooms ... why?
- Go to front desk about issue, too many reports of rude or hostile interactions
- In my situation, clearly an orchestrated event the duration of my trip - not random or unplanned

We each will have our own view, mine is that they put a bad plan in place, it was initiated and it backfired. Housekeeping has strict guidelines by which they perform their jobs. The language barrier alone for many means spelled out instructions. No doubt in my mind what was done was specifically instructed. The only difference may have been between DVC and cash guests. I've apologized for Disney for years, not this time, no excuses.

I don't even know if it has gotten better, I think many who know are over it and deal with it AND those who are new to Disney think it's their standard procedure ... so we aren't hearing anything anymore. We are a very small percentage of guests and we don't know what is happening overall.

Or maybe Disney has realized that it's only a matter of time before someone realized how easy it is for ANYONE to knock and demand entry to a resort room and people will feel that they are REQUIRED to open the door and let the stranger in.

~NM
I suppose there are naive people out there who would allow perfect strangers in without identification. Fortunately CM's come with identification even if they don't have actual uniforms/costumes.

~NM
Every. single. bit. of information I've ever read - books, magazines, online, hotel-provided - about personal safety, home or away, tells you not to open the door if you don't know the person on the other side. Call the hotel Front Desk (even if that means a call center and waiting for a return call) for help. Or Security. Or the police. Brace a chair under the doorknob while you wait, if you're seriously afraid.

~NM

You are not required to open the door. Let them use their pass card or whatever to get in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter