question about discounts applied after reservation

blemon

Mouseketeer
Newbie-to-deals question here.

Ok, so it seems that if I book something for 2017 now with no discount and a discount then shows up, I will be able to apply that. Right?

But there are room res and ticket res.

So if I reserve a package for next year online at disney, then a code comes up for a % off a room, will I be able to apply it toward my package?

Are there different codes -- like some for room only and some for packages?

We stayed at the campground last year so there were never any deals so I just did it all online. The tix were definitely cheaper than advertised because we got it as a group.

So I'm sure this question is answered elsewhere but I'm not sure how to find it.

Thanks.

You technically can't apply a discount to an existing reservation. The discounts are attached to certain rooms/packages. So if a discount opens up, you would be cancelling your first reservation and re-booking the one with the discount. If the discount for the dates/room you want are already sold out then you won't be able to get it.

You can book now if you are willing to take it even without a discount. Otherwise you might as well wait until the discount comes out, then POUNCE. ;)

~Cari~ pluto:

I made a reservation in feb, and then a promotion came out several months later. I was able to go online and modify my reservation and apply the promotion. It took about 2 minutes.

So you had to cancel and make a new one like the first poster says or do you go in and add the code? Thanks.
No I didn't cancel anything. I had a reservation and next to the reservation is a button that says "change reservation". I clicked that and then was able to choose various things, one of them being a promotion. It updated my reservation-my reservation number never changed.

Newbie-to-deals question here.

Ok, so it seems that if I book something for 2017 now with no discount and a discount then shows up, I will be able to apply that. Right?

But there are room res and ticket res.

So if I reserve a package for next year online at disney, then a code comes up for a % off a room, will I be able to apply it toward my package?

Are there different codes -- like some for room only and some for packages?

We stayed at the campground last year so there were never any deals so I just did it all online. The tix were definitely cheaper than advertised because we got it as a group.

So I'm sure this question is answered elsewhere but I'm not sure how to find it.

Thanks.

If you are new to the Disney promotions, I highly recommend you to hire a Disney Authorized travel agent. Back in Feb this year, I booked a reservation myself for the summer thinking I would be able to handle it and I like to plan the trip. But as it getting closer to the time when promotion usually comes out, I started to panic. Since I was within the first 30 days since I booked my res, I was able to transfer my res to a TA. Two weeks later, I woke up in the morning with an email from my TA that a new discount was released and she already applied the discount for me... :tongue::tongue::tongue:

A Disney authorized TA does not cost us anything extra because Disney pays them. So look into that if you need help for your first trip.

No I didn't cancel anything. I had a reservation and next to the reservation is a button that says "change reservation". I clicked that and then was able to choose various things, one of them being a promotion. It updated my reservation-my reservation number never changed.
It still "cancels" the first and changes it to the second. But your reservation number stays the same. The point is, if they don't have a room identical to yours with the discount then you can't switch to it.

~Cari~ pluto:

Keep in mind that having a reservation booked already doesn't give you any leg up on anyone else. There's still a solid chance you won't be able to apply anything because the availability is gone.

Keep in mind that having a reservation booked already doesn't give you any leg up on anyone else. There's still a solid chance you won't be able to apply anything because the availability is gone.

This ^^. A discount can be applied later as long as what you have booked is available under that discount. If you will go regardless of whether or not a discount comes out, I would book now to make sure you get the resort/room type you want. If your trip is dependent on a discount, I'd wait to see what (if any) discounts are released for your dates. As stated above, having a reservation already in place does not guarantee a discount can be applied later.

To answer your question about a room discount with a package....if you book a package and a room discount comes out, that discount can be applied to your existing reservation (pending availability) and will apply to the room portion only.

Also wanted to mention that sometimes the "change reservation" feature isn't available for everyone. I've had reservations that only had the "cancel" feature, while others have had both "cancel" and "change" features. Not sure why that is, but if you don't have the "change" feature, you will have to call to check/make any changes.

I used the modify button to change the grade of room we booked, same resort, and that was super easy. But after I made my fp+ choices I was hesitant to change anything further myself. I just called and got a room discount that we qualified for and rooms were still available and the CM just did it over the phone so I'd be sure it was done correctly. He said I could have still done this online but I wasn't taking any chances. I did have to wait on the phone about 10 minutes but I already checked my itin in MDE and the price difference showed up immediately. Everyone has an individual level of bravery and luck on this one.

Just be careful.. A couple of times I booked the Contemporary, planned some of my dining around that (Eating at Chef Mickeys on our last morning, eating at Cali Grill our first night etc..) and when a promo came out, it wasnt applicable to the Contemp., so I had to change my resort. Yes, I saved a ton, but getting over to the Contemp our first night and last morning was not as convenient as it would have been.

Ive seen often certain resorts are excluded from certain promos. Contemporary, AoA, PO FQ seems to always be on the no list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter