QS plan = horrible

Albytaps

Mickey's Biggest Fan
Starting recently, the QS dining plan dropped from 2 snacks to 1 and there seems to be restaurants dropping their highest priced meal to be cheaper. For example, does Cosmic Rays still have the chicken and rib combo? It was something around $15 and was a steal with a QS credit.

So, just to do some quick math:

QS dining plan = 2 QS meals, 1 snack = $35

QS meal ($10+$3+$3) + QS meal ($10+$3+$3) + snack ($5) = $37

So... you save $2 only if you really would buy a dessert at each meal. Honestly, I would never buy a dessert at a QS location if it wasn't for the dining plan. I much rather save dessert for an ice cream somewhere else or a funnel cake or something. If you take away the 2 desserts it would come out to $31. Why in the name of heck would I ever buy the QS dining plan anymore? Disney has really gone downhill with this one ;) (that one is for Brunette)

Am I forgetting something here or am I one of the last people to realize what a bad deal this is? Why would Disney think this was ok?

Starting recently, the QS dining plan dropped from 2 snacks to 1 and there seems to be restaurants dropping their highest priced meal to be cheaper. For example, does Cosmic Rays still have the chicken and rib combo? It was something around $15 and was a steal with a QS credit.

So, just to do some quick math:

QS dining plan = 2 QS meals, 1 snack = $35

QS meal ($10+$3+$3) + QS meal ($10+$3+$3) + snack ($5) = $37

So... you save $2 only if you really would buy a dessert at each meal. Honestly, I would never buy a dessert at a QS location if it wasn't for the dining plan. I much rather save dessert for an ice cream somewhere else or a funnel cake or something. If you take away the 2 desserts it would come out to $31. Why in the name of heck would I ever buy the QS dining plan anymore? Disney has really gone downhill with this one ;) (that one is for Brunette)

Am I forgetting something here or am I one of the last people to realize what a bad deal this is? Why would Disney think this was ok?

The great thing about the dining plans is that no one is forcing you to buy/use it. :thumbsup2

We like it because it is prepaid and still saves us a bit of money, granted not as much it did last year with 2 snacks and now one, but still saves us a little bit. Also, not sure if you noticed, but the QSDP is the only plan that remained the same in pricing from last year. Had they raised the price by $5 and kept the 2 snacks, we would actually be getting even less of a deal as the majority of snacks are $4 or less. It works for us, but maybe not for others. You either the plan or you don't. It's YOUR choice, not Disney's.

The great thing about the dining plans is that no one is forcing you to buy/use it. :thumbsup2

We like it because it is prepaid and still saves us a bit of money, granted not as much it did last year with 2 snacks and now one, but still saves us a little bit. Also, not sure if you noticed, but the QSDP is the only plan that remained the same in pricing from last year. Had they raised the price by $5 and kept the 2 snacks, we would actually be getting even less of a deal as the majority of snacks are $4 or less. It works for us, but maybe not for others. You either the plan or you don't. It's YOUR choice, not Disney's.

Right... we've always used the plan but starting this year it just seems ridiculous. How is it saving you money? I actually gave Disney a little credit by picking the more expensive stuff (ex. $5 for snacks when even you said most snacks are $4 or less.)

Honestly I'm hoping to hear back from some people saying that the chicken and rib combo and some other QS meals are over $10 because as it stands right now it seems the most expensive ones are $10 and even then not everyone will want the $10 meal. So how is the QS dining plan saving anyone any money? I really want to hear it out.

EDIT:
Just loooking around a bit, I see that the Fairfax Fare in Hollywood Studios has the chicken and rib combo for $14.19. In that sense this keeps my hopes up a little. But still, it would almsot force me to always get that to eat. I wouldn't want to feel that way. MK is still missing that $14 item to make the QS plan worth it. Epcot and AK both have items above the $10 range so that works I guess... but taking away that snack really kills the deal for me.

The dining plans have never been advertised as a way to save money. We always buy it, and know it isn't necessarily a savings for us. We do it for the convenience. Plus,it allows everyone to order whatever they want, without someone else critiquing their choices because of $.

The dining plans have never been advertised as a way to save money. We always buy it, and know it isn't necessarily a savings for us. We do it for the convenience. Plus,it allows everyone to order whatever they want, without someone else critiquing their choices because of $.

Sure they have and still are.

Here is a line directly from the booking engine:

Would you like to save on dining?

It goes on to say save up to 10% per adult on quick service and 20% per adult for the regular dining and 35% per adult for deluxe.

Sure, but it says you CAN save UP TO 10% per adult on the quick service dining. How much you save or even if you save at all is going to be entirely up to how you use it. If you eat lunch and dinner with dessert at Wolfgang Puck Express every day then it's going to be easy to save at least that much. But the point is correct, they do advertise the dining plan as a moneysaver, and I think they're pretty vague about the fact that it won't save money for everybody in every circumstance.

Sure, but it says you CAN save UP TO 10% per adult on the quick service dining. How much you save or even if you save at all is going to be entirely up to how you use it. If you eat lunch and dinner with dessert at Wolfgang Puck Express every day then it's going to be easy to save at least that much. But the point is correct, they do advertise the dining plan as a moneysaver, and I think they're pretty vague about the fact that it won't save money for everybody in every circumstance.

Agreed. I don't think it is a money saver for a lot of people but that is certainly how they advertise it.

you don't pay tax when on the QS DP. The tax factor is heavy at Disney World; so, this can be a better savings than it looks straight up.

With that said we could easily be satisfied with tap water for our drink and we don't need dessert. For what it's worth we don't need a snack everyday, either. I could certainly order a cheaper meal and not be hungry and I could even share a meal and save that way.

I can't justify the regular TS DP anymore either.

I've been seriously thinking about APs and doing the TIW card and just going OOP. You do need to plan three shorter trips or two longer trips in a year's time to make this worth it. I have a vegan in my party (always cheaper meals no matter what the plan is) and an older mother who eats like a bird. I just don't see the DPs being good for us.

We were always told the dining plan saves money, that's why we started doing it in the first place. It was a money saver (even though I never ate my dessert, I'd give it to the kids which don't get one) and we were always happy with it. We would go during F&W fesival alot and use the snacks for the F&W stands around Epcot. It was absolutely wonderful!

Now with 1 snack I don't even think it would be worth getting during F&W anymore either. Also, it's just too hard to coordinate what to buy to actually "save" money at QS locations. Some places in Epcot may have something worthwhile that cost $10+ while others may not. I think I rather have the convienience of buying whatever I wanted instead of having that nasty dessert from a QS station as well.

Anyway, I loved the QS plan before... that's why I'm upset about it. But now at least I'll get to try something new and who knows, maybe I'll go back to it if I see fit. Cosmic Ray's better not have gotten rid of the chicken and rib combo....

Doesn't the QS meal plan also include a Disney Mug as well? That alone would save you a few dollars every time you decided to use it.

For us, the thought of knowing all our meals have been pre-paid is a bonus. No need to bring any money to the parks to pay for our meals.

I think you forgot about the refillable mug. It's 13.99 and is included in the qsdp.
I wouldn't pay for the QSDP, but we are getting free dining and it will save us more than the discounted room since our kids 11 and 15 and eat adult meals. We've paid for the DDP, and it was worth it b/c we ate our TS mainly at buffets.

My guess is that now that they've taken away the 2nd snack, less people will want to buy the QSDP.

I never use the DDP, I never could make the numbers work. With DVC it is never free, but I always looked at it as more of a convenience pre-payment package than any type of money saver.

I don't care if I lose a few bucks or make a few bucks on the QS. I think maybe becuase you are over thinking it. ??? You said "Also, it's just too hard to coordinate what to buy to actually "save" money at QS locations. Some places in Epcot may have something worthwhile that cost $10+ while others may not." Maybe just order what you want and not what is just the most expensive and you'll be happier.

I never use the DDP, I never could make the numbers work. With DVC it is never free, but I always looked at it as more of a convenience pre-payment package than any type of money saver.

I can't even see it that way because there's also the possibility that a guest will LOSE money on the deal. Sick party member? Don't feel like eating a whole meal that day? Too much fun in the park you don't feel like stopping to go to a restaurant? Then you're leaving credits unused or having to figure out a new plan so you use them. If they don't get used, Mickey gets the money for food the guest never even ordered.

If you eat at cheap places then sure, its a bad deal.

Heres a few of our QS meals from our last trip.

Flame Tree BBQ, Chicken/Ribs, dessert, drink $18.50+tax
Tangerine Cafe, Combo , dessert, drink $19+tax
POR, Pasta, dessert, drink $17.50+tax
Pepper Tree, buffet $17+tax

The QSDP covers the tax and 1 snack. It saves us a small amount and adds the convenience. Not as good of value as prior years but still ok for us.

Our problem is the DP cost, resort cost, ticket cost and airfare have all gone WAY up over the past few years. We're no longer able to go as often as we did. Value resorts are now $159 for mid-high season...no value there!

Cosmic Rays does still have the chicken & ribs as of last week. Fairfax Fare has something similar that was quite good and enough food for DH, DD10 and I to share.

I agree that you really have to work the QS plan to see any savings at all. I don't think Disney really intends people to buy it at this price. I think they dropped the snack and held the price constant in order to squeeze out a few more dollars from all the people who get the QSDP for free at the values/mods but pay to upgrade to a higher-level plan.

I got confused after I read your post and the thread. Is the combo at Cosmic Ray's NOT being offered anymore? Is there a rumor that it's being dropped? We usually get it and would be bummed if it was dropped...

I agree w/you about losing a snack...it brings the value way down.

Cosmic Rays does still have the chicken & ribs as of last week. Fairfax Fare has something similar that was quite good and enough food for DH, DD10 and I to share.

That is good news. There was a rumor that it was taken off the menu but if you had it last week I'll believe that it was just a rumor.

I got confused after I read your post and the thread. Is the combo at Cosmic Ray's NOT being offered anymore? Is there a rumor that it's being dropped? We usually get it and would be bummed if it was dropped...

I agree w/you about losing a snack...it brings the value way down.

PP confirmed it was still on the menu :woohoo: I believe it's the only place in the MK where you get your QS credit's worth.

That is good news. There was a rumor that it was taken off the menu but if you had it last week I'll believe that it was just a rumor.

PP confirmed it was still on the menu :woohoo: I believe it's the only place in the MK where you get your QS credit's worth.

We didn't actually have it, but we stopped in at Cosmic Rays or some cheese fries (snack credit fries + wonderful toppings bar = great afternoon snack!) and it was on the menu then (1/29).

There are other decent values out there too - I'm not sure if the online menu prices are outdated or I just don't figure things out precisely enough, but the CS meals we had seemed to be a fair bit more expensive than I'd expected. I don't remember the exact prices but 3 CS credits at Columbia Harbour House came to around $50, and I have a receipt here in my pile for 2 meals at Japan's Katsura Grill that totaled $41.75 (and that's a place that I actually would order dessert OOP because they are very unique/interesting!). We also had a really expensive (for CS) lunch at Tangerine cafe that I think would be an excellent value OOP because one meal fed 3 of us, and the chicken/ribs at Fairfax that I think came to $24.something for a single CS credit.

The CHH's most expensive meal is the Lobster roll which is $9.99 which isn't bad but not as powerful as the chicken and rib combo. Not bad though. Things definitely don't seem as bad as when I thought they took the chicken and rib combo off the menu, but still taking 1 snack away is a kick in the nuts. I used to get a smoothie at Auntie Gravity's and then later on get something else. Now I'll have to be picky about my snack :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter