Prices for Liquor on Islands?

Jo-Anne

DIS Veteran
I know people recommend doing some price checking at home prior to vacation for things like the watches, rings etc. that you can buy duty free and tax free on the islands...alas, I don't have a keen interest in buying a watch or jewellery, but, am interested in knowing the price of liquor on the islands!! Wondering if anyone knows of a site I can go to that would list the prices of liquor in St. Marteen and St. Thomas? Thanks

If i remember correctly, St. Thomas had much better prices on liquor, and better than what you could get on the ship.

I found St Maarten to have the best prices on liquor. They had the large bottles of Cruzan rum ( 1 1/2 litre??) for $5 and the litre of stolee raspberry vodka for $5 too. The further you got from the ship, the better the liquor prices got. You can barter for the liquor too. In comparison, the bottles I mentioned were $8 and $10 respectively on St Thomas.

I saw a quart of Absolute Vodka for $4.95, wine is not much cheaper. But if you bring your own cork screw it is alot cheaper that buying one on the ship. For example: Rosemont Shiraz is my favorite wine, at home on sale $8.00 per bottle on the ship $32.00. BIG difference. Cigarettes are ALOT cheaper; $13.00 per carton for Marlboro lights. These prices were on St Maarten. On St Thomas cigarettes were about $5.00 more per carton and I didn't check on alcohol.

What about liquor prices on Grand Cayman? How do they compare? I'm looking forward to stocking up on banana rum while I'm there.

St Maarten is the place on the Eastern route to purchase liquor- Absolute for less than $5, Crown for less than $10 and it really just keeps getting better!
In St Thomas- make sure to purchase Cruzan rum- they make it tere and it is wonderful- about $5 but everything is higher.
I believe that the legal limit to bring back is something like 5 ot 6 bottles each adult.

As for the Western- we found prices to be better on the ship than in Cozumel or Grand Caymen. BUT GC had better than Cozumel.
On the Western- each adult can bring 1 bottle back- and to be honest- between the prices being so much higher and the amount you can bring- we opted to just not worry about trying to get it back home without breaking them!

Originally posted by Favorite Auntie
I found St Maarten to have the best prices on liquor.....

I totally agree!!! Now if I can convince dh to do another Eastern I can go back and buy some more of that Guavaberry Rum!!

Is this an infused flavor rum?? What do you drink it with?? Also, what about beer....do they have domestic beer.

Originally posted by Stanley Sorgho
What about liquor prices on Grand Cayman? How do they compare? I'm looking forward to stocking up on banana rum while I'm there.

Forget that idea.

We just did the western cruise and tried. On Grand Cayman Tortuga Rum is the only deal in town. The way they operate is they take the orders and then deliver to the ships. However, Disney does not allow deliveries to the ship, so they will not allow you to purchase.

But, do not let that stop you from going in to the shops and quaffing down the free samples they provide. They actually just put the bottles out with cups so you can serve yourself.

We ended out buying our rum (banana and pineapple) at the duty free shop right at the dock in Cozumel - of course after having another round of free samples just to be sure we were getting the flavors we wanted.

Originally posted by callahanjulie10
On the Western- each adult can bring 1 bottle back- and to be honest- between the prices being so much higher and the amount you can bring- we opted to just not worry about trying to get it back home without breaking them!

Actually, it is 1 liter per adult. Since a bottle is generally 750 ml you could get away with 4 bottles for 3 adults.

Being the honest person I am, I was anal about filling out the customs form coming back, woke up early and went to the immigrations table the morning we came back. Between my wife and I, we had 3 bottles (750 ml x 3 = 2.25 liters) which was over our 2 liter limit. The immigration officer just took the form and signed it - he said that it's so little over and they don't charge for anything generating under $10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter