Prayers for Mom * Dad (now) * - Update Post #97

Tigger, such sweet, good news! you are all still in my prayers -

:hug: I am sorry that you and your father are facing this; and so close to the holidays. I will lift your family up in prayer for guidance, strength and comfort during this difficult time and a miracle if that is His will. :hug:

Edited to Add:
I did not read your update before I posted. I read your first post and began praying. :) I have now read your updates. God is amazing isn't He?

Tigger, as you and I have discussed, doctors are proven wrong by patients with a fighting spirit every single day. Great news to read that your Mom is willing to put up that fight! If you had any question that she knew you were there, she has given the answer.

:hug: ,
J.

It has not been that long since my last update, but Mom is continuing to AMAZE her Drs.

Today is the first day that I was able to go see Mom since Monday, as I was ill for about 48hrs with a 104 fever, headache, and rapid heat rate . I ended up in the ER twice, having blood work and numerous other tests done, but everything *always* came back normal :confused3 When I woke up Thursday morning and took my temperature, it was NORMAL and I was feeling fine :woohoo: I gave myself Friday to recover some more strength and then told Dad that I would go see Mom on Saturday and Sunday, so he could rest.

Mom has been moved out of the Acute-Multi Care Unit and into a regular room while waiting to be transferred to a Rehabilitation/Skilled Nursing Facility. Physical Therapy has been working with her and even had her standing along side her bed :thumbsup2 She still is not talking all that much, but when she does, she makes it VERY CLEAR !! :lmao: Like today when I went in around lunch time to feed her, I said "it sure would be a lot easier if you could use a straw" and she said "I can use a straw!" :yay: Her liquids do have to be thickened to a honey like consistency and her meals are still pureed foods, but I think once we can get her dentures in she would be able to tolerate regular foods.

With going to English Oaks for rehabilitation, I think with the daily physical therapy and occupational therapy, she could make it home by Christmas :cheer2: :cheer2: She has been to this facility 3 times in the past and they do excellent work, all the therapists know Mom very well, and Dad & I trust them with her care. At this point, we are just waiting for a bed to open up there and then they will transfer her.

Although words do not seem to be enough to thank everyone for your continued thoughts and prayers, which have definitely been heard, they are very much appreciated by myself and Dad.

:love: and :hug:
Lyn
:tigger:

Oh so wonderful to hear about your mom. I hope you see the surgeon that said he would not put his own mother through that surgery. See I believe God gives doctors that talent to operate, and God does the rest. It does not always work out the way we hope and pray. But we never know that is why we pray so we know we did everything we could and it was in God's time.

I really hope you are feeling better. You have had a really tough year. sending healing pixie dust.

:grouphug:
Take care my friend

Wonderful news and updates Tigger!
All I can say is Wow has Mom made great progress.
Sorry to hear that you have not been feeling the greatest, I hope you do soon.
Sending more thoughts, prayers, hugs and pixie dust your way!
Astro :hug: :grouphug: pixiedust:

How wonderful that Mom is doing better each day! I am glad this trial is going in a postive direction. As always you, mom and dad will be in our thoughts and prayers.

many hugs dear friend,
May

Latest update on Mom is that she was moved to a Rehabilitation Facility yesterday afternoon, however English Oaks where we wanted her to go, would not take her :mad: The only thing that the Discharge Planner said to us was that "English Oaks is not willing to take her because of the feeding tube, Parkinson's and *slight* dementia." Neither Dad or I can figure out why in just a matter of 4mths, that her Parkinson's & dementia is a problem. She was just released from there July 23rd and she was doing GREAT !!

So, the discharge planner had come up with 2 other alternatives and luckily I had a Dr appointment Thursday, because my primary Dr has been my Mom's Dr for about 20 yrs. He told me that the 2 alternatives were, and these are his words, "Death Traps!!!!!" So I went online and found another facility not to far away and asked that they check and see if they would take Mom. They did accept her, but again the bed vacancy problem came up.

I am NOT thrilled with this facility, but realize that it is better than the others they wanted to ship Mom off to. Dad and I have a meeting on Monday with the Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Speech Therapist, and Dietitian to go over Mom's course of care. In the meantime, while Mom is at Evergreen, I intend to go to English Oaks and ask them WHY they would not accept Mom since she still has the same problems she did in July :confused3

Mom is doing a lot more talking, holding her own drinking glass & drinking from it, and moving all her limbs on her own. So the next few steps will be to get her working on feeding herself and strengthening up her leg and arm muscles, so she can go back to using her walker.

Again, words can not express the gratitude of all the thoughts, prayers and pixiedust: that have been sent to Mom, Dad and myself :grouphug:

Lyn

What a tough situation. My grandfather was in professional care for the last several years of his life, and my mother now takes care of my step-grandmother full time. She is able to be somewhat independent and lives in a house across the street from my parents, but her condition will inevitably deteriorate. It's hard on everyone.

I hope you are able to get her into English Oaks. You'll be in my thoughts!

ah! I hope Eng Oaks gives you a reasonable explanation as to why they wouldn't take her. Would you still take her there if after you confront them, they change their mind? It is good to hear she is improving. How about YOU? how are YOU doing?
As always, dear friend, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

many many HUGS
-may

Latest update on Mom is that she was moved to a Rehabilitation Facility yesterday afternoon, however English Oaks where we wanted her to go, would not take her :mad: The only thing that the Discharge Planner said to us was that "English Oaks is not willing to take her because of the feeding tube, Parkinson's and *slight* dementia." Neither Dad or I can figure out why in just a matter of 4mths, that her Parkinson's & dementia is a problem. She was just released from there July 23rd and she was doing GREAT !!

So, the discharge planner had come up with 2 other alternatives and luckily I had a Dr appointment Thursday, because my primary Dr has been my Mom's Dr for about 20 yrs. He told me that the 2 alternatives were, and these are his words, "Death Traps!!!!!" So I went online and found another facility not to far away and asked that they check and see if they would take Mom. They did accept her, but again the bed vacancy problem came up.

I am NOT thrilled with this facility, but realize that it is better than the others they wanted to ship Mom off to. Dad and I have a meeting on Monday with the Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Speech Therapist, and Dietitian to go over Mom's course of care. In the meantime, while Mom is at Evergreen, I intend to go to English Oaks and ask them WHY they would not accept Mom since she still has the same problems she did in July :confused3

Mom is doing a lot more talking, holding her own drinking glass & drinking from it, and moving all her limbs on her own. So the next few steps will be to get her working on feeding herself and strengthening up her leg and arm muscles, so she can go back to using her walker.

Again, words can not express the gratitude of all the thoughts, prayers and pixiedust: that have been sent to Mom, Dad and myself :grouphug:

Lyn

Thanks for the update.

Death Traps was actually the name of a place?

No, not at all :lmao: But as far as the Doctor was concerned, their names might have well been that. Both places have had numerous deaths due to lack of staffing and the Medical Group, Sutter Gould, will NEVER place ANY of their patients in either facility.

Thanks for the update.

Death Traps was actually the name of a place?

No, not at all :lmao: But as far as the Doctor was concerned, their names might have well been that. Both places have had numerous deaths due to lack of staffing and the Medical Group, Sutter Gould, will NEVER place ANY of their patients in either facility.

:lmao: I was like.... people actually go to a place called that?

rofl.

I know it has been a little bit since my last update on Mom, but things have gotten even more complicated. Dad has been experiencing shortness of breath and some chest pain for about 2 weeks now. He never mentioned a word of this to me until just this past Monday when I went over to get the car to go in to feed Mom and then all of a sudden he is like: "Here are the keys for the lock boxes with all the insurance policy information. Your Mom has 2 through ______(fill in the blank) company, 1 of them comes to term at age 93 and... then mine is through _______ (fill in the blank) company." I was like, "why are you telling me this now? Is there something wrong?" He finally told me what has been going on and that he sees the Dr. Friday, tomorrow. If *ANYTHING* happens to Dad, I have NO CLUE what would happen. He is 79 and has already had a stint placed in 1 of the arteries going to the heart 10 yrs ago and seems that he may have to have that done again, at the minimum.

At that point, I told him that he is NOT allowed to go in and feed Mom at all this week and he is just to stay home and rest. I always go in on the weekends for lunch and dinner, so Dad can have the weekends to totally rest. However, I have been going in to Mom's at lunch and dinner non-stop for the past 2 weeks and then over to Dad's to do things around the house for him.

Mom is doing better, but has been suffering from severe diarrhea for the past 3 weeks and they just can not seem to get it under control, so she has now lost a total of 60lbs since this all began. They have her on pureed foods, baby food, and I take a couple of spoonfuls of everything, place it into a cup, add sugar or Mrs. Dash's to give it some taste, and she is now feeding herself. I also snuck her in a Big Mac, :guilty: because I was so worried that she was not getting enough protein and even without her dentures and removing the top bun, she ate 95% of that burger :yay: Yesterday I talked with the Speech Therapist and the head of Dietary and on Monday everyone is going to see how she does with eating this Big Mac and if she does okay, which she will, then we can start moving her towards a more normal diet. Tonight was a *huge* step for her at dinner time !! They got her into a wheelchair and took her down to the dining hall where she could feed herself, get out of the bed she has been basically living in, help relieve her back pain, and get a chance for her to talk with other patients. If she can continue to do this, it would help her development of muscle tone immensely, further develop her hand eye coordination and hopefully get her to understand that in order for her to get a "day pass" to come home for Christmas she has to be able to stand and transfer with help, from the car to a wheelchair.

The only problem *I* am running into as Mom improves, is her calling me at 3am, 6am, 9pm, 11pm etc because she wants me to come down and "fix her TV" (change the TV station because you can only channel up and cycle through), "come turn me over", etc. So I am really starting to get rundown from lack of sleep and not eating. If Mom continues to go down to the dining hall, then the amount of time that I or my Dad have to go in to make sure she is eating enough will be cut down quite a bit.

I just ask for prayers regarding my Dad's health and continuation of prayers for my Mom's progress :angel:

Lyn

best of wishes for you and yours. my heart breaks for you. keep your chin up and your heart full of love.

Aww, Lyn, you have had way too much to go through lately. Sorry to hear about your dad, but hopefully it is just stress-related and nothing else. Still praying for you all.

If you're in game Friday, hopefully we can find each other then. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter