POTC suitable for pregnant woman?

Squidge

Mouseketeer
Hi all, as some of you might remeber, OH and I are off to DLRP over New Year. :cheer2:

If all goes to plan I will be approx 2.5 months pegnant . I have been looking at the DLRP website to see what rides I will and wont be able to go on, I dont mind that I wont be able to go on RnRC, Indy, Space Mountain or BTM as I have been on them lots before and am really going at New Year for te atmosphere. However, the website also says that POTC is unsuitable for pregnant women and states this is because of the 2 drops. If memory serves though the drops arent very big and there is only a lap strap and no inversions etc so confused as to why this might be. Any thoughts gratefully received as to whether this is just Disney jkust covering theor backs? :confused3

Thanks in advance!

I went to DLP when I was about one month pregnant and did POTC several times. I think it's more a ride to avoid when you're bigger - something to do with compression on the abdomen! :confused3 But I don't think that at the stage you hope to be at, it should be any problem.

Wishing you every success!! :)

I rode POTC last year when I was around 5 months pregnant (and clearly visible). It was not a problem and thee cast members did not stop me from riding.

I think that it is more Disney covering their backs than anything else. The two drops are only very small and the ride vehicles only have a lap bar as restraints.

Obvioulsy if you have had any problems with your pregnancy then I wouldn't go on, but if everything is ok, then enjoy.

The only rides I missed out on were RnRC, SM, Indy (not that I really like that anyway) and Star Tours.

Young Pooh.

Hi

I agree with what everyone says I can't see a problem with POTC but
do you want to do anything that might, however remote the risk damage your pregnancy. God forbid that anything should happen to your babe, but if something did you would always be asking yourself what if's. You would never know of course but it would always tarnish your feeling for disney.
For what its worth my advice would be don't take any chances never mind how remote, you will always be able to do POTC or any other ride for that matter again, you will never have THIS pregnancy again. I don't mean to sound blunt and forgive me if I do but NOTHIING is worth the risk.

Gotta agree with Dee. POTC is not a big ride and you would probably be ok but is it worth the risk!

My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage and believe me it's the worst feeling in the world! I personally wouldn't risk anything.

Just being in Disney is enough for me. :cool1:

I do understand what you are both saying, and I have been so lucky not to have suffered any miscarriage or the loss of a child. I also agree that POTC will always be there to ride at a later date. But this thread does bring me to wonder just how likely a ride such as POTC is to cause a miscarriage? I honestly don't think it would be the reason it happened, more that it brought on the inevitable. Sorry if that sounds harsh. :guilty: It's just my thoughts, and I may be completely wrong.

And it's true, you can still have a wonderful time without POTC, just soaking up the DLP atmosphere!

Thank you all so much for your replies. I agree that Porates will always be there for subsequent visits and that maybe I wont risk it this time. I will see how I feel at the time and make a decision then i guess - I may not even be pregnant when I go after all hehe! I have no doubt that OH and I will go back to DLRP once I have given birth and maybe this time I shoudl just concentrate on having fun without my fave rides (RnRC being my favourite) and just enjoy being in Disney - I imagine neing there at New Year should be pretty special on its own!

Thanks again!

I would imagine that part of the "pregnancy restriction" could be due to the occasional sudden jolts when your boat is hit by the boat in front/behind and the added vulnerability to the spine caused by pregnancy hormones. Possibly a reason for avoiding Autopia too.

Good luck with the trip and the baby planning :earsgirl:

That would also apply to Its a Small World as your boat gets bumped in that one too.

I can't see how rides such as IASW, POTC etc could ever cause a miscarriage. You would get bumped just as much while riding a bus and this has never been thought of as a risk to pregnant women. Your fetus is going to be really tiny at that stage (like the size of a thumb nail) and therefore will be well cushioned in the uterus regardless of bumps etc... I would recommend without a doubt that you do not skip these rides. To be honest I would be more concerned about how you are going to feel at that stage in pregnancy. For me, both times it was the worst!!! I felt really sick and totally exhausted ALL THE TIME, not to mention the urgency to pee every 5 mins. Hopefully you will be lucky and be one of these women who just sails through pregnancy without any bother. I wish you all the very best with it and hope it all goes wonderfully :sunny:

I wasn't talking about miscarriages particularly with regard to POTC/Autopia/IASW but the increased possibility of damage to the spine resulting from jolts.
Squidge from personal experience (I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks) despite what all the doctors tell you, you do end up wondering if it's a result of something you've done.
I wouldn't risk it - my humble opinion. :earsgirl:

Found this on a pregnancy health site:

What is the concern with roller coasters and pregnancy?
The concern with roller coasters during pregnancy is associated with the rapid starts and stops along with jarring that occurs during the ride. This rigorous activity creates additional jarring forces within the uterus that may lead to premature separation of the placenta from the wall of the uterus, which is called placental abruption.

Currently, there are no studies that document a problem with roller coasters while you are pregnant. Similarly, there are no studies documenting that it is safe either. Automobile accidents have caused placental abruption and other complications for women who are pregnant even when the trauma is not directly to the uterus.

Although there have been pregnant women who have ridden a roller coaster without complication, it is a risk that should be avoided. Amusement parks are good at identifying rides that pose risks to pregnant women .

The safest course of action is to play it safe and avoid the rides that pose a risk; you can always return to the park and ride things after you deliver.

Still stand by my post of missing the rides. What I hadn't realised when 1st read your post was that you aren't pregnant yet.

Nicola's right - I was totally incapacitated from 6 wks till about 15 weeks - head down the toilet ALL DAY LONG - with all my pregnancies.

pregnancy is probably sounding like the worst thing in the world with all our replies - I'm sure everything will be fine - just so many things to think about. :cool1:

Thank you all so much for the replies. Gosh I didnt even think that IASW might be an issue, that is my favourite ride (OH's too) and I would be REALLY sad to miss out on that! Kinda think what is the point of going at all if everything is going to be an issue. I understand sabout being sick and tired, nd am prepareds for that, but was really looking forward to POTC and IASW. Ah well, may not even get pregnant first time so we will see!

Thanks again

We went to DLP last summer when I was 17 weeks pregnant. I avoided the obvious rides, but did POTC several times (loved it!) There were no warnings on the park map or the ride itself for pregnancy, it was only when I looked at the website when we returned I saw a warning. The drops are very small, so shouldn't cause a problem, although I can understand others concern.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter