Postcards

MBAL29

Earning My Ears
Me and my DH, and DS are going on the 7 night Western Cruise on Sept. 13, I wanted to send home postcards from each of the ports. I thought it would be a good way for us to think back on the cruise once we have gotten home. I know I can do it from Castaway, but I am curious about Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Have any past cruisers done this?

:jester:

We did this on our Western Cruise. There are shops just as you get off the ship in Key West where you can get cards; and the nice lady even offered to mail them for us (we took our own stamps). There are cards all over Key West; honestly didn't notice mailboxes. But then I wasn't looking for them. Maybe Shirley can help here.
Post Office in Grand Cayman was a very short walk from tender stop. They accept US dollars; but give change in GC currency. So take a few dollar bills.
Post Office in Cozumel is also short walk from ship. They also accept US dollars.
Just check the maps in the Navigator for PO locations.
Have a Magical cruise!

I've never traveled outside of the US so my questions is to
Dave_from_Marietta or anyone else who has been on the Eastern cruise, can you use U.S postage stamps (from home) or is it best to buy stamps there?

Cindy
:wave:

St Thomas is US so you can bring stamps from home (we did). St Maarten and CC you will need to buy stamps there. Just a note: It will take about 3 weeks to get your mail from St Maarten and CC.

There is also a post office on Castaway Cay. However, you have to purchse Bahamian (sp?) stamps.

We had brought USA stamps with us to the post office, and were not allowed to use them. We only had our KTTW card with us, so DH was about to run back to the room to get some change.

Luckily, we had pixie dust sprinkled on us by another traveler. She bought our USA stamps, and we used the money to buy the local stamps. YEAH!

BTW, it did take about three weeks for the card to get to us. But it was a thrill!

We bought the DCL postcards that look like the stamp from the Bahamas and mailed them from Castaway Cay. Yeah it took awhile but it was pretty cool. We even mailed one to ourselves for our scrapbook.

Save your money by not buying US stamps and purchase the stamps at each island. The stamps can be as interesting as the postcards themselves!

Also, if you visit Grand Cayman, make sure you stop by Hell. You can mail your postcard from there, and they'll stamp it from "Hell". There's a small post office right there. We did this several years ago. It makes a great addition to your scrapbook album.

Not sure about the other islands, though. GC is only one we ever had a postcard sent from.

ObsessedwithDisney - I had forgotten about Hell! Yes, makes for great conversation piece. - The Postcard from Hell! But you don't have a lot of time there; so be sure to know how many you need and what you are going to write. You can buy the stamps right there.

Hi

We returned from the Western cruise today and are frequent visitors to Key West.

The Key West Post office is within walking distance of where the ship will dock. It is on any Key West city map. They are readily available in what appear to be newpaper stands in the "whats happening in Key West" (I can't remember if that is the name)magazine. As for Grand Cayman and Cozumel, we did not mail any cards from those ports, so I am not sure of the location.

The shops that sold the cards had very friendly staff, so I am certain they will point you in the right direction, or you may even want to ask Guest Services on the Magic, they seem to know just about everything about the ports of call and I would think this would be a fairly routine question.

have a great trip

Yes, as has been mentioned earlier, you can only use U.S. postage at Key West and St. Thomas. You'll have to buy Bahamian stamps for Nassau, Freeport, and Castaway Cay. You'll need to buy Netherlands Antilles stamps for the Dutch side of St. Maarten (the side the ship docks on). If you were to mail a postcard from the French side of St. Maarten, you'd need to buy a French West Indies stamp. From Grand Cayman, you'll need to buy a Cayman Islands stamp. And from Cozumel, you'll need to buy a Mexico stamp.

When we were in Grand Cayman on Tuesday, I mailed a post card from there. The post office is very close to the pier, about a block back off the main street. It cost a quarter for the stamp...

Travis

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter