Post family Disney-theme night ideas HERE!

So in honor of the upcoming release (I know, it;s over a year away) of the live action Jungle Book, we watched the classic 1967 Jungle Book at a recent Family Movie Night. The kids woke up with the ticket in the mailbox outside their door.

We set the table with a green theme and a collection of the kids' stuffed animals to represent the various animals in the movie. We had elephants and teddy bears and even a barrel of monkeys hanging from the chandelier.

For dinner, we enjoyed:

• Jungle Juice (Green Gatorade)
  • Mango Chicken
  • Jasmine Rice (it's from India)
  • Yogurt dressed Fruit Salad

jb10.jpg

For dessert, I set up the traditional concession stand where the kids can send the points they accrued during the past two weeks of good behavior and doing chores. At this concession stand, I added three Jungle Book themed items:

• Mowgli's Jungle: A Box of animal crackers
  • Jungle Bears - a small dish of Gummy Bears

• Baloo's Bananas - Banana chips

Here is an image of the full concession stand set up:

And that was our Jungle Book themed Family Movie Night. I have a Frozen night that I did with just my Daughter when Mom and Son were out of town, but I'll post that in a couple days.

If you are interested in reading about some of the older Disney Family Movie Nights, check out my site at http://www.dadsmasterplan.com. There are a lot of Family Movie Nights as well as Date Nights that I put on for just my wife.

Thanks.

To wrap up our Dinosaur theme in school, we just had a Family Movie Night viewing of Disney's Dinosaur. A film from 2000 about an Allosaurus who is raised by a group of Lemurs.

We started out with a dinosaur fossil dig before the movie began as an activity while I got all the food ready.

Read more about the activity here.

It all began when the kids woke up to find their tickets in their mailboxes. Isabel was very excited.

IMG_0376.jpg

For dinner we had a big BBQ with Dinosaur ribs, Kron's corn, Aldar's Apple Juice and various other treats.

Check out more Disney themed family movie nights at my blog: Dad's Master Plan

Last edited:
We had another great Disney Family Movie Night when we watched Escape from With Mountain. We were studying camping in school, so this was a close match with the kids hiding out in a camper and being somewhat in the woods. I know, it's a bit of a stretch, but it also tied in with our October theme this year of Aliens.

Here are the tickets:

For dinner, we did simple camping Burritos. The kids made them up themselves and had a great time doing so.

The process got a big 'Thumbs Up' from Ethan.

And to drink, we had Flying Fruit Punch!

And that was our Family Movie Night for Escape to Witch Mountain. In two weeks, I will be posting our next Family Movie Night when we do Disney's Flight of the Navigator.

For more Family Movie Night ideas - mostly Disney, but not all - check out Dad's Master Plan. So far, we are up to about 22 different nights!

Last edited:
I'm loving the idea of making these nights more about the rides or things at WDW since my boys are getting a bit older it would be nice to mix that in.

Would appreciate any suggestions on these!!

Hey all, I just began a new thread to focus specifically on Family Movie Nights. These are anything you do to make a Disney Movie more enjoyable with your family and kids. It's all about ideas for activities, food, games and fun that relate to a specific movie. Any movie.

The thread is intended to highlight the movie and what you do to make special movies even more special.

check it out at http://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-family-movie-night.3453701/.

In honor of PAN opening today, I thought that I would post the Peter Pan Family Movie Night that we did. Perhaps now is a good time to have another Peter Pan themed movie night before we go and see the new movie!

Here is the ticket we used:
7.jpg

And the Menu:

For dinner, we had:

• LOST BOY SWORDS
    • Blueberry and Strawberry Fruit Swords
    • PIRATE SHIP PIZZA WITH CANNONBALLS
    • Home made French Bread Pizza
    • Mini Meatballs
    • CAPTAIN HOOKS
    • Hook Shaped Breadsticks
For our drink, we had Mermaid Lagoon Water (Lemonade)

IMG_0540.jpg
IMG_0535.jpg
IMG_0524.jpg

And for dessert, we had:

• PIRATE'S PARFAIT
    • Chocolate Pudding, Crushed Oreo Pieces, Whipped Cream
    • SECOND STARS
    • Star Shaped Rice Krispie Treats
IMG_0544.jpg
IMG_0523.jpg

Anyone have an idea for Pan?

For more photos from our Peter Pan night, visit www.dadsmasterplan.com

Back in March when we saw Cinderella at the movies my DD decided that for her b-day she wanted to have a Cinderella movie night with a couple of her friends. We ended up with more than a couple girls but it was a really fun afternoon :)

My DD and her BFF help decorate, they went a little nuts with the confetti, lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
I didn't go all out with the theming for food as I was trying to please 10 little girls but we had some fun snacks. My movie snack station was really cute but I never gt a picture because the girls jumped on it so quickly :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg
My pumpkins were cute when I first did them but as they sat out the tootsie rolls started to slide :(. Girls still said they were good!

They decorated butterfly masguarade masks
image.jpg

And then the movie, which I can honestly say they maybe sat through half of, lol. image.jpg We did start with the original Cinderella which they watched when they first arrived and were playing!

Has anyone done a Pochantas themed menu? This was one my son requested and I'm struggling with it.

Has anyone done a Pochantas themed menu? This was one my son requested and I'm struggling with it.

We are planning a Pocahontas night in November, and this is what we are doing. I hope it helps!

For the drink we are doing a Raspberry Iced Tea because tea, made with berries and herbs and pine needles was common in many Native American's diet.

Also, seafood played a huge role in the diets of the Native Americans on the East Coast, so we are doing Fried Fish (fish sticks for picky eaters, and cod for the others), but you could do any seafood (clams, oysters, mussels, fish) grilled, fried, etc.

For a side, we are having Corn on the Cob, roasted butternut squash, and Flatbread (the kids are going to make this) with Cranberry Butter.

Since it is Pocahontas, you should definitely check out Native American food from your region of the country, as it varies so greatly across the continent, or focus on the real Pocahontas. She was part of a tribe group in current Virginia, so you can look at that region for ideas as well.

I hope this helps a little!

I always try to do a Halloween themed movie night around this time of year, we finally got around to The Nightmare Before Christmas this year :)

image.jpg
Note, they are all wearing Christmas pjs at my DDs request :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Dinner was worms and eyeballs (spaghetti and meatballs) this was my DSs choice of a "creepy" meal :) dessert was Jack Skellington cupcakes.
image.jpg

image.jpg
Movie snacks
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As an activity, my kids built a haunted house birdhouse they had gotten from a Lowes Build and Grow workshop earlier in the day. We actually got the inspiration to do this movie night because the guy reminded us of Jack.

My DDs finished product
image.jpg

Flight of the Navigator (1986)

For Flight of the Navigator, we did a space theme. We decorated the table with a black tablecloth, and some of the spaceship toys. For dinner, we raided our camping foods, and grabbed a bunch of Mountain House packs of freeze dried, or just add water foods. And to top it off, we had some great freeze-dried astronaut ice cream.

For Special Treats, we had Milky Ways and Asteroids (Just like when we did Star Wars: Episode II).

For the drink, we had Takeoff Tang. This was actually just Orange Juice, but who really wants to drink Tang, anyway.

IMG_0020.jpg

And then we kicked back and enjoyed a blast from my past (I remember seeing this movie oh, so long ago...) with our concession boxes full of Milky Ways, Asteroids and freeze dried ice cream!

For more Movie & Menu pairings, please check out my site at Dad's Master Plan.

We are planning our first Disney Movie Night, and are going to watch Tomorrowland. Any suggestions for menu pairings?

Lilo & Stitch (2002)

I hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween! We wrapped up our Alien themed Family Movie Nights with 2002's Lilo & Stitch.

I wanted to a Hawaiian Menu, but as we live about as far away from Hawaii in the states as possible, sourcing specific ingredients might prove a bit challenging! So I went with a meal with a Hawaiian feel. So it may not be 100% accurate, but at least it was a lot of fun!

The menu was grilled chicken with Peanut Dipping Sauce, Coconut Rice and, of course, Hawaiian Bread.

IMG_0064.jpg

Sorry, no photos of the bread and the rice...

And to drink, we had Luau Lemonade:

And since it was Halloween, the kids enjoyed some Halloween Cookies that they made in their concession boxes, which didn't really have anything to do with Lilo & Stitch!

Thanks for reading. Check out some of my other Disney Themed Nights at Dad's Master Plan.

Thanks.

Had a Inside OUt Movie night last night in honor of the release of the DVD

We were going to get a White Pizza with Broccoli on it but the pizza place that makes it tried to tell us that it would be over 2 hours. Instead we went with our usual place and did pepperoni or rather "Angry Memory Orb Pizza" I also had plans to make a lemon cake and call it a Joy Memory Orb but with all the Halloween candy in the house we skipped it.

Other food ideas I came up with would be

Bing Bong cotton Candy and Mix of Emotions (Jelly beans / M&Ms )

Had a Inside OUt Movie night last night in honor of the release of the DVD

We were going to get a White Pizza with Broccoli on it but the pizza place that makes it tried to tell us that it would be over 2 hours. Instead we went with our usual place and did pepperoni or rather "Angry Memory Orb Pizza" I also had plans to make a lemon cake and call it a Joy Memory Orb but with all the Halloween candy in the house we skipped it.

Other food ideas I came up with would be

Bing Bong cotton Candy and Mix of Emotions (Jelly beans / M&Ms )

I love the idea of Jelly Beans for 'Mix of Emotions!' I'm going to have to do that when we do our Inside Out Night.

The Sword in the Stone (1963)

We have returned to Family Movie Nights themed to our schooling again - at least until December. So this week, while we are studying Medieval Times, we watched Disney's 1963 animated feature The Sword in the Stone. I made the menu as Medieval theme, and a dinner full of food with swords stuck in them.

And for the drink, we all enjoyed some Wizard's Tea.

Has anyone else done a Sword in the Stone Family Movie Night? I'd love to here what you did with it!

Pocahontas (1995)

In anticipation of Thanksgiving (I hope this doesn't offend anyone!), we are watching Pocahontas. Honestly, I really don't like this movie very much. But again, it's not for me, it's for the kids.

The only big change that I made to this menu when we had the Movie Night was that I changed the drink from tea (I was originally planning a Raspberry Iced Tea) but switched it out at the last minute for Apple Cider. I don't think it's particularly authentic, but it was much more seasonally appropriate!

For dinner, I put together Flat Bread with Cranberry Butter:

Considering the important par that fish played in the Native American diet here on the East Coast, we made Cod Fritters for dinner.

For the drink, as I mentioned, I changed the tea to Apple Cider at the last minute. Hence the reason the drink band was not updated - and the strange color for tea...

And finally, I made cinnamon sugar tortilla leaves for a sweet dessert snack for after the movie with the popcorn.

So that was our pre-thanksgiving Pocahontas Family Movie Night. What would you do for a Native American themed dinner? Let me know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter