Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Yes, I did on a trip last month. You're right, it doesn't really save much time. You still have to go to the kiosk to print your luggage tag, then get in the line to drop it off. The only thing I noticed was different was that when I scanned my boarding pass at the kiosk, it had auto-filled in the bag(s) I was going to check. So I guess maybe that saved me, like, 30 second, lol.

When I did the digital bag check offered in the app, I did notice the language said "click to reserve your baggage tag(s)." Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I found the use of the word "reserve" interesting. Made me wonder if there would ever be too many checked bags and Southwest would have to limit how many baggage tags they handed out for a particular flight? Please note that's my own musing, not something I've actually heard (from SW or as a rumor).
We actuallly had the same thought when we used it today and noticed the word reserved. Maybe they are starting to get more cargo contracts. If that is the case, the could just lower the bag count to 1 and I would think it would take care of some of the weight. I can’t imagine the anger if people get to the airport and can’t take their bag.

We actuallly had the same thought when we used it today and noticed the word reserved. Maybe they are starting to get more cargo contracts. If that is the case, the could just lower the bag count to 1 and I would think it would take care of some of the weight. I can’t imagine the anger if people get to the airport and can’t take their bag.

Good thought. But I’d imagine the passengers would get priority for bags over cargo. After all, they sell the ticket with the promise that each passenger can take 2 bags. My husband & I never take that much, it’s just 1 or 2 bags total. A lot of other people seem to only have 1 bag each also. So SW may have a lot of extra cargo space. Maybe they just want to know before boarding how much cargo they’ll be able to accommodate after passengers bags are loaded.

Changing their limit to 1 bag per person would be a huge change. Allowing 2 free bags per person has always been one of their huge selling points. I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

So looks like our MDW flights will never go down in price. I was one day late to booking the flights after the schedule opened, and they were already down to only the Anytime fares :crazy2:. I've been waiting in hopes that they just didn't release all of the WGA fares, but apparently that's not the case. Ugh.

Today I've started playing the game of booking a random cheap ticket to combine my travel funds, and then cancel that flight. We have about 8 or so flight credits around $10-$20 each, so I'll have to play this game a few times to hopefully combine the travel credits into one.

Edit: does anyone know how long I have to wait before switching my flight when trying to combine flight credits? I need to switch to a more expensive flight one or two more times before I can cancel to get the funds all combined. Do I have to wait a day or two? Or since I'm not cancelling yet, just switching to a higher fare, can I do that immediately?

Last edited:

Edit: does anyone know how long I have to wait before switching my flight when trying to combine flight credits? I need to switch to a more expensive flight one or two more times before I can cancel to get the funds all combined. Do I have to wait a day or two? Or since I'm not cancelling yet, just switching to a higher fare, can I do that immediately?
I've been booking and cancelling as soon as the confirmation email comes in. So a few minutes at most. I've haven't done several in quick succession, but have done the book/cancel more than once in the same day.

Standard recommendation is 48 hours. There is a chance anything shorter than that could lead to funds going back to original form of payment, which would be the smaller TFs.

I had booked our Jan flights just a little after they came out and then got credit with the 50% off sale
I also booked EBCI way back before SW changed that only certain fares come with EBCI
which the cheapest fares dont
so my questions are since I had already booked EBCI before the change will we be grandfathered in
also what about the changes with kids under what is it now 12? all being able to board between A and B spots
this is still very unfair to those paying extra for EBCI when all these who did not pay for get pushed farther back who also had the choice to pay for EBCI so they could sit together but didnt
I can only hope SW actually monitors this better so theres not families with all there extended family with one kid under 12
its like we get penialized for not having kids
or let them board between A and B but they get seats in the back of the plane

I can only hope SW actually monitors this better so theres not families with all there extended family with one kid under 12 its like we get penialized for not having kids
According to the website, family boarding is still for 6 and under. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t get abused though.

I had booked our Jan flights just a little after they came out and then got credit with the 50% off sale
I also booked EBCI way back before SW changed that only certain fares come with EBCI
so my questions are since I had already booked EBCI before the change will we be grandfathered in
also what about the changes with kids under what is it now 12? all being able to board between A and B spots
I think you are confusing two different policy changes. Anytime fares get checked in automatically 36 hours before scheduled departure. That has been that way for a couple years now. SW is limiting the number of EBCI positions it is going to sell on some routes. I would assume that anything to MCO will be one of those routes. I have not seen any reports of anyone that has actually wanted to buy EBCI and has not been able to.

No change to family boarding has been rolled out systemwide. There was a very limited test of allowing families with kids 12 and under to board right after pre boards but they could only sit in the back of the plane. That test has ended.

this is still very unfair to those paying extra for EBCI when all these who did not pay for get pushed farther back who also had the choice to pay for EBCI so they could sit together but didnt
I can only hope SW actually monitors this better so theres not families with all there extended family with one kid under 12
its like we get penialized for not having kids
If you've already purchased EBCI, then you have it. Southwest isn't taking it away for people that have already purchased it, they just won't necessarily be offering it (or offering as many slots) for future flights when people try to purchase it.

If you purchase EBCI but later at the gate you buy the upgrade to A1-A15, is the EBCI fee deducted from the cost of the upgrade?
We've had some pretty bad boarding positions lately with EBCI. I'm trying to decide if I should skip buying EBCI and just do the gate upgrade, but if it's a wash price wise I'll still buy it and then do the upgrade if needed.

If you purchase EBCI but later at the gate you buy the upgrade to A1-A15, is the EBCI fee deducted from the cost of the upgrade?
We've had some pretty bad boarding positions lately with EBCI. I'm trying to decide if I should skip buying EBCI and just do the gate upgrade, but if it's a wash price wise I'll still buy it and then do the upgrade if needed.
EBCI is not deducted.

We've had some pretty bad boarding positions lately with EBCI.
I'll mention here - I had two flights recently where I'd paid for EB (and the symbol showed on my flights right beforehand), but at around 12 hours prior I checked and was in C-something. I was told due to flight changes (one mine, one theirs) my EB had been cancelled, was being refunded. Now, even if I pay for EB, I try to check in at 24 hours prior to be on the safe side.

No, EBCI is not deducted. Keep in mind that gate upgrades are not always available (and may be less so now that you can do it in the app ahead of time, as opposed to having to go to the gate). So, if you skip buying EBCI, just know that you might not be able to do a gate upgrade.

I just want to make sure I have this correct before the next round of flights open. If I purchase Wanna Get Away Plus tickets and EBCI, my EBCI would trump any Wanna Get Away tickets with EBCI. We are flying Baltimore to San Francisco next summer, and since it’s a longer flight, I’m willing to pay more to get a better boarding position.

I just want to make sure I have this correct before the next round of flights open. If I purchase Wanna Get Away Plus tickets and EBCI, my EBCI would trump any Wanna Get Away tickets with EBCI. We are flying Baltimore to San Francisco next summer, and since it’s a longer flight, I’m willing to pay more to get a better boarding position.
Yes! That’s the way I understand it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter