* POST #9 - CAN YOU HELP? Links for Countdown Ticker to replace v50.net?

tink2020

Suddenly Tagless!
As many of you probably see in your signatures, v50.net is apparently discontinuing their countdown tickers :sad:

Personally, I don't like the "fancy" tickers with images, etc in my signature. I prefer the simple, clean one offered currently at v50. I like that it doesn't take up a lot of space, and I can make it match anything I put in my sig... without it competing :)

Has anyone seen anything similar?

(Mods - wasn't sure where to put this, feel free to move if necessary :goodvibes )

I'm not really sure. The tickerfactory ones are too big. Mods, do you have any suggestions?

Curious, where did you hear they're discontinuing their countdowns?

In the past sometimes they would hit their bandwidth limit near the end of a month so countdowns wouldn't show. They would start again with a fresh month.

Is this what you've seen, or have you other information.

As to simple 1-line countdowns, the v50.net site is the only one I'm aware of.

Curious, where did you hear they're discontinuing their countdowns?

In the past sometimes they would hit their bandwidth limit near the end of a month so countdowns wouldn't show. They would start again with a fresh month.

Is this what you've seen, or have you other information.

As to simple 1-line countdowns, the v50.net site is the only one I'm aware of.

If you look at my signature, all of a sudden (yesterday, I believe) the message appeared underneath the countdown that they will discontinue service. It is confirmed on their site :(

If you look at my signature, all of a sudden (yesterday, I believe) the message appeared underneath the countdown that they will discontinue service. It is confirmed on their site :(

Thanks, I guess I didn't even notice their message. That's too bad as it was a nice site for these simple countdowns.

Thanks, I guess I didn't even notice their message. That's too bad as it was a nice site for these simple countdowns.

I agree! Some of the others are neat, but I tend to just like the really simple ones in my signature. Oh, well! Maybe some day there will be another like it. I don't know anything about programming, but it doesn't seem like it would be an harder than the others that look more complex. I guess there must not be a lot of need, maybe, since so many others are offered. Bummer!

I agree on the simple countdown tickers. I like the plain, no frills kind of countdown ticker. I have been unable to find one to replact v50. It's ashame that it's going away.:sad2:

I'm Jonathan Sadowski, I own the domain v50.net.

I just threw the countdown service on that domain years ago, mostly because I wasn't using the domain for anything else. I have plans for the domain name, so I'll need to shut down the service.

I'll give the source code to anyone who wants it and even help you setup your own countdown service for free (who knows, maybe disboards.com wants to host it?). But a word of warning -- I went through a considerable amount of bandwidth each month, despite only hosting simple countdowns. Each month I was usually exceeding 5 gigs of bandwidth.

If you're interested in getting the source code, send me an e-mail at <my firstname> @ <my lastname> .us

I just threw the countdown service on that domain years ago, mostly because I wasn't using the domain for anything else. I have plans for the domain name, so I'll need to shut down the service.

I'll give the source code to anyone who wants it and even help you setup your own countdown service for free (who knows, maybe disboards.com wants to host it?). But a word of warning -- I went through a considerable amount of bandwidth each month, despite only hosting simple countdowns. Each month I was usually exceeding 5 gigs of bandwidth.

If you're interested in getting the source code, send me an e-mail at <my firstname> @ <my lastname> .us

Hi there! I really appreciate your offer, although I don't have a clue what one would do with a source code :rotfl: Hopefully someone else might be able to help. We really have appreciated your countdown while it's been up! :goodvibes

Well, awardspace.com offeres free webspace with up to 5 gb of traffic per month...

Jonathan, thanks for the offer. I've sent you an email. We'll take a look and review it with our Admin to see if it's something we'd like to do.

Bill

Jonathan, thanks for the offer. I've sent you an email. We'll take a look and review it with our Admin to see if it's something we'd like to do.

Bill

Thanks Bill! I assumed someone would know how, but I understand that bandwidth is a precious commodity :goodvibes

If you're thinking of putting something on the Disboards.com server, I would highly recommend looking at the "Countdown Timer in Signature" plugin for vBulletin. It's text based and runs as part of the message board software, so it would use a LOT less bandwidth.

I run MickeyPath.com and will be happy to host it. I have sent an email to Jonathan around getting his ok, and making sure no one else is going to host it. Once i hear back i should have it up shortly.

If i get the ok, i will post here to let everyone know where to find it.

Wow, fabulous!!! I'm sure people will really appreciate it. I love that your site lets folks use multiple tickers that 'scroll' in one location! Very cool!:goodvibes

I run MickeyPath.com and will be happy to host it. I have sent an email to Jonathan around getting his ok, and making sure no one else is going to host it. Once i hear back i should have it up shortly.

If i get the ok, i will post here to let everyone know where to find it.

Thank you so much!

I got the ok this morning, and have made the put the code up on the site. I have to update the navigation (I'll try to do that Monday). However for the time being you can access the site here:

http://www.mickeypath.com/cdgenerator.php

if you have a countdown already, you can update it by changing where it says "V50.net" to say "mickeypath.com". Then is should continue to work after the cutoff.

If you have any questions please post here.

-Matt
http://www.mickeypath.com/

I got the ok this morning, and have made the put the code up on the site. I have to update the navigation (I'll try to do that Monday). However for the time being you can access the site here:

http://www.mickeypath.com/cdgenerator.php

if you have a countdown already, you can update it by changing where it says "V50.net" to say "mickeypath.com". Then is should continue to work after the cutoff.

If you have any questions please post here.

-Matt
http://www.mickeypath.com/

Thank you so much Matt! I actually made one, and it did not work...
Jonathan, could you change the bit about v50.net closing to something along the lines of "New Countdown Banner Service on MickeyPath.com"?

did get an error? If so can you send me what it said? OR did it just not work? I had to change a few things. but it should still work the same.

Thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter