Possible update to Genie+

But we don't know this for sure yet, right? Let's say their morning is at MK, and they made a park reservation for MK, but they plan on hopping to AK in the evening. Will they be able to buy Genie+ for just AK if they want to? Or will Disney require them to buy the multi-parks Genie+ to book AK, since the park reservation is at MK? I think we'll find out on the 27th.
Agreed we won't find out until the 27th. I'm speculating they'll have 5 options in the app: PH, MK, EP, HS, and AK. It'll probably work like ADR, you can make a dining reservation anywhere after 2 P.M. without an actual park reservation, as long as you tap into your "morning" park.

Coincidentally, I'll be there next week during the debut of this system. Will report my findings.

This is an awful development.

For starters, it has been confirmed that once the single park G+ has sold out for the day, the Multiple Parks option is ALSO sold out, so forget buying for one park and upgrading if you decide to hop later.

Also confirmed, if you buy one park and decide to upgrade, you have to visit Guest Relations and have them do it manually, and charge you the difference. If you do it in the app, it will process as a separate $27 (or whatever price) transaction. So, they didn't even equip the software to provide an upgrade option in app. 🙄
So it's a problem for people who:
- Think they will only go to one park and buy the single park option
- Later decide to hop
- View having Genie+ at the second park as a do-or-die

I'm not sure that's a huge group. Personally, I wouldn't buy the single park option unless I was 99% certain I wouldn't be hopping. And if I did spontaneously decide to hop, I'd be pretty tolerant of the reality that genie may have sold out or that I'll have to spend a few minutes at Guest Relations to address.

Charge a flat price for INSTANT Lightning Lane access on demand. Make it $5 per ride, across the board. Make it dependent on location permissions such that the option won't pop up on your phone until you are physically in front of the ride.

This would solve the issues of how freaking overly complicated this system is, how much G+ interferes with your planned schedule around ADRs and such, and will net Disney FAR more money overall, due to the psychology behind the "micro transaction" model. It will also provide the standby line self regulation that is needed.
It would also introduce the new problem of unregulated LL crowds. Right now, Disney primarily uses time windows and price to control the flow of guests. Remove the time window and there's no way to control how many guests show up. Whenever the flow of LL purchases exceeds ride capacity, those lines will just get longer and longer.

Posting wait times may discourage some purchases. But informing guests that (hypothetically) Slinky is a 40 minute wait if you pay $5 vs 90 minute wait for $0 is (IMO) much worse than what we have today. I'd rather fill 3 hours with other activities and return for a ~5 minutes LL wait.

Ugh! I hate genie +. Maybe it's me and I couldn't figure out how to ise it best, but I only got two rides out of it. Now this makes it even more complicated. So glad I am not a park commando anymore.

So it's a problem for people who:
- Think they will only go to one park and buy the single park option
- Later decide to hop
- View having Genie+ at the second park as a do-or-die

I'm not sure that's a huge group. Personally, I wouldn't buy the single park option unless I was 99% certain I wouldn't be hopping. And if I did spontaneously decide to hop, I'd be pretty tolerant of the reality that genie may have sold out or that I'll have to spend a few minutes at Guest Relations to address.
It's a problem for ANYONE who uses Genie+ really - as this is going to be an across the board price increase. The lowest priced park is going to cost what ALL the parks would have cost, and prices will increase form there. The floor of pricing isn't going to drop at all, Disney isn't going to make LESS money from people who were going to go AK for the day and lower the price of G+, they are just going to increase it for all the other parks.

Ugh! I hate genie +. Maybe it's me and I couldn't figure out how to ise it best, but I only got two rides out of it. Now this makes it even more complicated. So glad I am not a park commando anymore.
The Irony with G+ is that on the day you need it MOST - the busiest of days, the most expensive days, are the days you can get the LEAST out of it. On the days you need it LEAST - the slows and cheapest of days - are the days you get the MOST out of it.

It's a problem for ANYONE who uses Genie+ really - as this is going to be an across the board price increase.
The post I was responding to didn't address cost, but yes, we'll have to see about pricing.

The lowest priced park is going to cost what ALL the parks would have cost, and prices will increase form there. The floor of pricing isn't going to drop at all, Disney isn't going to make LESS money from people who were going to go AK for the day and lower the price of G+, they are just going to increase it for all the other parks.
I see it differently.

Right now, Disney uses Park Pass to (mostly) identify how many people are going to each park. Meanwhile there's a property-wide cap on Genie+ sales. Hypothetically, if 80% of people who buy Genie are starting their day at MK or HS, AK and EP both have unutilized capacity AND their guests are less inclined to buy due to the lower value.

In other words, when property-wide G+ has sold out, I suspect Park Pass reservations will show that EP and AK could still afford to have more Genie+ users. And with a lower price, some will be swayed to purchase. Don't forget that right now disney is selling promotional tickets with no park hopping. So there are a lot of people visiting EP and AK who may be swayed to buy at a lower price.

Throughout June, Genie has been running $20-25 per day. The sample prices showed MK/multi-park at $27, HS $24, EP $18 and AK $16. I think that's the sort of spread we'll see.

The post I was responding to didn't address cost, but yes, we'll have to see about pricing.

I see it differently.

Right now, Disney uses Park Pass to (mostly) identify how many people are going to each park. Meanwhile there's a property-wide cap on Genie+ sales. Hypothetically, if 80% of people who buy Genie are starting their day at MK or HS, AK and EP both have unutilized capacity AND their guests are less inclined to buy due to the lower value.

In other words, when property-wide G+ has sold out, I suspect Park Pass reservations will show that EP and AK could still afford to have more Genie+ users. And with a lower price, some will be swayed to purchase. Don't forget that right now disney is selling promotional tickets with no park hopping. So there are a lot of people visiting EP and AK who may be swayed to buy at a lower price.

Throughout June, Genie has been running $20-25 per day. The sample prices showed MK/multi-park at $27, HS $24, EP $18 and AK $16. I think that's the sort of spread we'll see.

Bahahaha seriously if you think any park is going to be lower than what the previous all parks G+ would have been, you are absolutely delusional. There is nothing disney has done in YEARS that should make you think this. Disney isn't doing this to SAVE anyone money - they are doing this to TAKE more money.

I see it differently.

Also does not make sense to purchase to park hop after...my experience was all the rides were full after a certain point. So no thank you. Bring back paper fast Pass. At least universal gives free fast Pass to hotel guests. This just stinks. Sorry to complain, but I have not had a pleasurable experience with Genie +. Also agree with previous poster that the days it is needed most is when you get the least out of it

Bahahaha seriously if you think any park is going to be lower than what the previous all parks G+ would have been, you are absolutely delusional. There is nothing disney has done in YEARS that should make you think this. Disney isn't doing this to SAVE anyone money - they are doing this to TAKE more money.
Of course it’s designed to be a net win for Disney. Under the current system, overall sales are capped when any single park meets its maximum G+ capacity. (Probably MK 99% of the time.)

With this change, they can maintain the same multi-park cap while selling even MORE G+ subs to people visiting under-utilized parks like EP and AK. And you broaden the appeal by lowering the price specifically at those parks.

We’ll find out for sure in a couple days but I don’t expect AK or EP to match recent weekday pricing.

Also does not make sense to purchase to park hop after...my experience was all the rides were full after a certain point. So no thank you. Bring back paper fast Pass. At least universal gives free fast Pass to hotel guests. This just stinks. Sorry to complain, but I have not had a pleasurable experience with Genie +. Also agree with previous poster that the days it is needed most is when you get the least out of it
As of right now (5:45pm Saturday), this is the number of attractions that still have Genie+ availability tonight, by park:

Magic Kingdom: 21
Epcot: 8
Hollywood Studios: 9
Animal Kingdom: 6

I don’t know the circumstances around your experience but only getting 2 rides in a day is not at all typical. Every attraction in the Magic Kingdom currently has ride times available, and more than half of them have immediate return times. If I were getting a pass right now for Buzz or Pirates, I could walk right on, avoiding a 35-45 minute standby wait.

The rides that aren’t available this late in the day are rather predictable: Remy, Test Track, Frozen and Slinky are the only attractions that routinely fill-up by mid-day.

Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but the dumbest part of all this is the following scenario:

You plan to go to Hollywood Studios and EPCOT for the day. Magic Kingdom Genie+ sells out, and thus the multi-park Genie+ is sold out, so you now can't buy it and must buy separate HS and EPCOT Genie+.

Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but the dumbest part of all this is the following scenario:

You plan to go to Hollywood Studios and EPCOT for the day. Magic Kingdom Genie+ sells out, and thus the multi-park Genie+ is sold out, so you now can't buy it and must buy separate HS and EPCOT Genie+.
G+ for MK and Multi-parks come from two separate pools. They just happen to have the same price. For the scenario above, just buy the multi-parks G+ before they're sold out.

Under the current system, once the multi-park genie is sold out, you cannot buy anything. After the changes, at least you’ll have the OPTION of buying EP, AK or both separately.

Of course it’s designed to be a net win for Disney. Under the current system, overall sales are capped when any single park meets its maximum G+ capacity. (Probably MK 99% of the time.)

With this change, they can maintain the same multi-park cap while selling even MORE G+ subs to people visiting under-utilized parks like EP and AK. And you broaden the appeal by lowering the price specifically at those parks.

We’ll find out for sure in a couple days but I don’t expect AK or EP to match recent weekday pricing.
Bahaha dude, you sound like the people who SWORE fast pass wouldn't go away when they introduced fast pass+. EXACTLY like them. Oh look how I can spin this to be actually advantageous... hahaha. As if wdw hasn't thought of this. They will do NOTHING that saves ANYONE a DIME. They might sell more G+ like this, sure, but no one will save a single dime. And G+ wasn't selling out before, so it's not like NOW people will be able to get this thing they couldn't before. Lolol. It's just a price hike.

Bahaha dude, you sound like the people who SWORE fast pass wouldn't go away when they introduced fast pass+. EXACTLY like them. Oh look how I can spin this to be actually advantageous... hahaha. As if wdw hasn't thought of this. They will do NOTHING that saves ANYONE a DIME. They might sell more G+ like this, sure, but no one will save a single dime. And G+ wasn't selling out before, so it's not like NOW people will be able to get this thing they couldn't before. Lolol. It's just a price hike.
I don't understand why you're mocking this poster when essentially they're agreeing with you. Their analysis says the new system allows guests to buy single-park G+ when the multi-parks sold out, meaning Disney gets more money.

The current system does not have this option. G+ is completely gone when they're sold out.

I have the 4-park summer ticket for our trip in July and was budgeting $25 per day for 5 people = $500
Assuming the same price structure as Genie+ park specific opening day I'll be paying $425
As long as the price was $22 or more I'm coming out ahead. I am upset at all the perks that have gone away since 2020 but I think it is still unclear if flat rate Genie+ vs. park-specific Genie+ will be better or worse for how my family typically visits WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter