Pop versus AoA

Glad I booked at Pop (first time staying there) for a short April trip. I haven't been to AoA either, but DW really didn't like the double beds. It is just the 2 of us on our next trip and she said we could each take a bed, but that didn't appeal to me. So Pop it is.

The only Value we have stayed at was AS-Sp, with the double beds, and that trip we had our DS 20. Besides the bed differences, what else is better/different at Pop compared to the All Stars?

j

The only Value we have stayed at was AS-Sp, with the double beds, and that trip we had our DS 20. Besides the bed differences, what else is better/different at Pop compared to the All Stars?

j

The rooms are all remodeled.

Glad I booked at Pop (first time staying there) for a short April trip. I haven't been to AoA either, but DW really didn't like the double beds. It is just the 2 of us on our next trip and she said we could each take a bed, but that didn't appeal to me. So Pop it is.

j

The skyliner is a game-changer for some. Others have no intention of dangling in the air, but the skyliner does increase Pop's popularity.

Pop is all remodeled, which includes in-room coffee makers, in addition to the queen beds. The rooms feel bigger because one of the beds is a murphy bed, so it gives a seating area when up. AS Movies is all renovated, and AS Music's renovations have started, with AS Sports to begin after that. Once they're done, the All-Stars will basically be like Pop inside.

All-Stars allow for pool hopping between those three resorts. Not that the pools are more than basic, but it's fun to change up the themes.

With the slightly higher prices at Pop, the resort is geared more towards families, while the All-Stars will continue to attract teen groups in greater numbers.

Thank you. That is just what I was looking for. We got a bounce back offer in the mail and Pop was pretty cheap. AoA wasn't in the deal. 2 of the 3 All Stars were, but I really wanted to try out the Skyliner and the remodeled rooms and queen beds made it a no brainer.

From pics, the main buildings, lobby and food court looked similar enough to AS- Sp to feel familiar. I'm OK with that. Our home base is Fort Wilderness in our RV, but this April trip is too short to haul the camper 1000 miles.

j

Last edited:
Thank you. That is just what I was looking for. We got a bounce back offer in the mail and Pop was pretty cheap. AoA wasn't in the deal. 2 of the 3 All Stars were, but I really wanted to try out the Skyliner and the remodeled rooms and queen beds made it a now brainer.

From pics, the main buildings, lobby and food court looked similar enough to AS- Sp to feel familiar. I'm OK with that. Our home base is Fort Wilderness in our RV, but this April trip is too short to haul the camper 1000 miles.

j
All of the values are built with the same T-shaped motel 3-story buildings, so they will feel familiar. Only AoA departs from them with the interior hall design of the suites. But in the Little Mermaid section, two of the three buildings were constructed to be the other half of Pop Century before construction halted and they sat empty for several years.

To me it's just a bit off-putting to be charged more for the LM rooms than a 2 Queen bed at Pop. I guess because for me, the biggest difference between the rooms is the bed size. :) That being said, we are staying one night at AoA on our next trip just because we have never stayed there before, and now we can technically say that we have, LOL!

To me it's just a bit off-putting to be charged more for the LM rooms than a 2 Queen bed at Pop. I guess because for me, the biggest difference between the rooms is the bed size. :) That being said, we are staying one night at AoA on our next trip just because we have never stayed there before, and now we can technically say that we have, LOL!

Totally agree! But people like the theming and are willing to pay for it. Also the pool and playgrounds are so much better than any of the other value resorts.

We love AoA (have stayed in a suite 4 times so far) but I would never pay more for a LM room there rather than staying at Pop Century (which is our 2nd favorite Value resort right now). My advice is always to book a room at Pop Century but walk over to AoA one evening to have dinner and enjoy the atmosphere. Or even better, take the bus from one of the parks or Disney Springs back to AoA and wander through the resort as you walk back to Pop Century.

Now, just to throw a monkey wrench in to all of this... I've read on 2 different FB groups today that renovations have started on the Little Mermaid rooms as of yesterday. The back side (lake facing) of Building 8 and I believe Building 7 have had the curtains removed from all of the windows and construction crews were walking around (possibly starting to remove furnishings in the rooms). So....I might be convinced to stay in a LM if the room was renovated and I could get building 7.
If only they could find a way to move the buildings closer as they renovate. Lol.

Totally agree! But people like the theming and are willing to pay for it. Also the pool and playgrounds are so much better than any of the other value resorts.
This is true! I tend to only think of rooms when comparing resorts, because we rarely swim at the resorts and I figure all of the amenities are available to everyone, whether they stay at the resort or not. :) I have to remember to adjust my thinking in that regard, because other people enjoy spending more time around their home resort. :)

If only they could find a way to move the buildings closer as they renovate. Lol.

Really -- or maybe run a shuttle from Bldg 8 to Animation Hall. And I'm sure the people who end up in The Country Fair section at ASMu and the Mighty Ducks section at ASMo are thinking the same thing. At least the people in Mighty Ducks are really close to the main building at ASMu and have the option to just walk over there. My son and his family were in the Country Fair section one trip and said their walk to the bus stops there was further than their walk when they were in Bldg. 7 of the LM rooms at AoA.

This is true! I tend to only think of rooms when comparing resorts, because we rarely swim at the resorts and I figure all of the amenities are available to everyone, whether they stay at the resort or not. :) I have to remember to adjust my thinking in that regard, because other people enjoy spending more time around their home resort. :)

I can see where you’re coming from. Mostly I want a clean, affordable place to rest my head, too. I have never done a “resort day” because my trips have all been too short, so my focus has been marathon days in the parks. My next trip will be just with my 4-year-old, and I think I’m going to have to slow things down.

On our departure day, we may just hang out. I would love to be able to snag a cheap room at AoA so we could use the pool, but financially I’m leaning towards a room at Pop. I figure we can do a tour of AoA visiting all the different playgrounds, and then stroll back to Pop for a last dip to cool off. Unfortunately the amenities available to everyone don’t include pool hopping.

Really -- or maybe run a shuttle from Bldg 8 to Animation Hall. And I'm sure the people who end up in The Country Fair section at ASMu and the Mighty Ducks section at ASMo are thinking the same thing. At least the people in Mighty Ducks are really close to the main building at ASMu and have the option to just walk over there. My son and his family were in the Country Fair section one trip and said their walk to the bus stops there was further than their walk when they were in Bldg. 7 of the LM rooms at AoA.
I’m not sure if these rooms are really farther than Rock Inn and Broadway. It’s just that it’s a straight line to Country Fair, while you turn and keep walking to the other standard sections.

I agree the non preferred sections are a hike, though, so don’t forget something in your room!

Personally I prefer the value resorts where I have to walk a bit more rather than the moderates that are so spread out that I have to wait for a bus. I hate waiting for buses.

I can see where you’re coming from. Mostly I want a clean, affordable place to rest my head, too. I have never done a “resort day” because my trips have all been too short, so my focus has been marathon days in the parks. My next trip will be just with my 4-year-old, and I think I’m going to have to slow things down.

On our departure day, we may just hang out. I would love to be able to snag a cheap room at AoA so we could use the pool, but financially I’m leaning towards a room at Pop. I figure we can do a tour of AoA visiting all the different playgrounds, and then stroll back to Pop for a last dip to cool off. Unfortunately the amenities available to everyone don’t include pool hopping.

I agree. When we're at Disney we just want a place to sleep and shower for the most part. We don't spend a lot of time at the resort and if we do, it's just to relax, rest, and recharge so we can head back to the parks again. I don't need an expensive upscale room to do that. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere at Disney. But when my husband travels for business and I go with him, I'm very happy to have a higher end room (Ritz Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, etc.) because I tend to spend a lot of time in the room or taking advantage of the amenities at the hotel (depending on the city) since I'm alone most of the day.

I’m not sure if these rooms are really farther than Rock Inn and Broadway. It’s just that it’s a straight line to Country Fair, while you turn and keep walking to the other standard sections.

I agree the non preferred sections are a hike, though, so don’t forget something in your room!

Personally I prefer the value resorts where I have to walk a bit more rather than the moderates that are so spread out that I have to wait for a bus. I hate waiting for buses.

We have (so far) only stayed at Value resorts at Disney. Every trip we go to visit a moderate or Deluxe resort for lunch or just for exploring. I always do that with the intention of figuring out the next resort we'll stay at. Every time we visit a Mod or Deluxe we realize how spoiled we are at the Values because of the food courts (much more variety of food options compared to most of the QS restaurants we've visited at mod and deluxes) and single bus stops with dedicated bus service. And, yes, the mods are all soooooo spread out (other than POFQ) and seem to have even longer walks than some of those far flung rooms at the Values. And because most of our stays have been in a suite at AoA, we also have a fondness for indoor hallways as opposed to opening our room door and immediately being outside. I'm not sure we'll ever stay at a moderate. I think when we start traveling with no kids, we might stay at a Deluxe but we'd still be happy at a Value.

We (Family of 5, kids 7, 5 and 2) just stayed at AoA in the LM room. Our room was at the end of the farthest wing of the farthest building. It was great for us. People love to complain about the walk, but our kids loved the walk as there is so much to see along the way. Just don't walk out the door 5 minutes before you want to be at the park. We haven't stayed at POP, sounds like it might be better for your situation, but just wanted to add a positive word for the LM rooms because we enjoyed them. Double beds didn't bug us much as we stuck one adult and one kid in each one and then had a pack n play for the little guy. I like switching it up and staying somewhere new each time, so it may be a while before we are back to AoA, but we liked it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter