• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pool-Side Mask Situation

BestCoolDawg

Earning My Ears
What's the current enforcement of the mask policy on the pool deck?
We visited the first weekend in NOV 2020 and they were very strict with cast members walking around enforcing the mask over face/nose while seated when not eating/drinking. Has this relaxed while stationary in a chair maintaining distance?
I recall there was no enforcement at the beach (as it is not their property), but mainly curious if the mask police has minimized while in a lounger at the pool.
Thanks!

I had the same experience in November. I was told to keep my mask on even though I had a drink in my hand and again when I put my ice cream down for two seconds to wipe my son up. They were STRICT!

In my two trips since, the most recent being in late April, there's been a 180 on the poolside mask policy. I don't know whether or not you're supposed to wear your mask on the lounger, but pretty much nobody does and the cast members don't say anything. You only need to wear your mask when getting towels and when interacting with cast members. Even then, they were pretty lax. I was scrambling to find my mask so I could place a drink order and the server was like "No worry, Aunty".

Edited to add that almost every guest outside the pool/beach area was wearing their mask and wearing it properly.

Last edited:
Got back yesterday, stayed at BCV, BWV, and Poly villas. Used the DVC pool at BC, the Oasis pool at Poly and the quiet pool at BWV. We and everyone else I saw, walked into the pool area with the mask on, then took it off whether sitting on the deck whether eating and drinking or not. Not any CM’s around except at BWV. Not very busy At any of the pools.

I can't speak to Aulani, which I hope people can give us some inside info on...but in Coronado Springs, once you were in the pool "area" the mask was off...getting out of the pool to retrieve a towel with a mask is insanity. Obviously if you were interacting with a cast member or ordering food you placed one on.

The Aulani site says "Please bring your own face coverings and wear them at all times, except when dining or swimming. You may remove your face covering while actively eating or drinking, but you must be stationary and maintain appropriate physical distancing," but that's not what we experienced or what the cast members told us when we asked about it. Basically, we were told that if you were seated, you didn't need a mask.

We were at Aulani last week and as someone said above, masks were only required in the pool area when interacting with a cast member (getting towels, ordering food, etc.). You were free to sit in a lounger (not actively eating) or walk to the slide, etc. without a mask and nobody said anything. In all other areas of the resort, you are expected to wear a mask and everyone was doing so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter