poly vs contemporary

hello-we are coming to wdw in july 2024(20th-28th). poly is a dream resort for us. would love to stay at the contemporary too, but poly is 1st choice. how bad is the construction situation at the poly and how much would you expect it to impact us in a normal standard view room. any recommendations? any help is appreciated

Honestly it looks worse from outside the Poly then when you’re on the grounds. And by the time summer rolls around they’ll be mostly finished with it so it’ll look less like a full on construction site. I’d request Samoa or Rarotonga just to be sure you’re away from it but I still think it won’t be too much of an issue at the other buildings at that point!

hello-we are coming to wdw in july 2024(20th-28th). poly is a dream resort for us. would love to stay at the contemporary too, but poly is 1st choice. how bad is the construction situation at the poly and how much would you expect it to impact us in a normal standard view room. any recommendations? any help is appreciated
Given the choice, I’d definitely choose Poly over Contemporary.

Can't tell from glancing at your other posts if you have ever been to Disney in the summer, but it is certainly a time of year I would avoid. It can feel like walking on the surface of the sun and Disney parks can involve MILES of walking. I would suggest some other time of year when it isn't so hot/humid. Seems you have mostly been to Disneyland and the summer weather is nothing like Orlando. I think both hotels are nice but among the most expensive on the property. Depending on your budget, there are a lot of other more economical places to stay, especially if staying on-site isn't a top priority.

Honestly it looks worse from outside the Poly then when you’re on the grounds. And by the time summer rolls around they’ll be mostly finished with it so it’ll look less like a full on construction site. I’d request Samoa or Rarotonga just to be sure you’re away from it but I still think it won’t be too much of an issue at the other buildings at that point!
good to know, thanks!

Can't tell from glancing at your other posts if you have ever been to Disney in the summer, but it is certainly a time of year I would avoid. It can feel like walking on the surface of the sun and Disney parks can involve MILES of walking. I would suggest some other time of year when it isn't so hot/humid. Seems you have mostly been to Disneyland and the summer weather is nothing like Orlando. I think both hotels are nice but among the most expensive on the property. Depending on your budget, there are a lot of other more economical places to stay, especially if staying on-site isn't a top priority.
thanks for the reply. i don't post much, mostly just lurk. actually only been to disneyland twice, but been to wdw many times, but usually just stay at pop. stayed at a few mods over the years, but going to stay at a monorail hotel finally. on-site is a must! we've definitely done the summer trip a few times, so I know it will be hot!

We always stay at the Contemporary - MK view tower. We love that everything; restaurants, shops, monorail and room is all under one roof. We also love walking to MK and the watching the fireworks from your balcony is worth every penny!

We always stay at the Contemporary - MK view tower. We love that everything; restaurants, shops, monorail and room is all under one roof. We also love walking to MK and the watching the fireworks from your balcony is worth every penny!
We are staying at the Contemporary - MK View Tower for the first time next month. I'm a little nervous as this was not a resort I've ever wanted to stay in. I am getting a little excited about the Theme Park view though.

FWIW, we stayed at the Contemporary for the very 1st time ever last fall. Always wanted to stay there, but probably never again. Everything about staying here was wonderful, except the noise. Especially when the music from Chef Mickey's restaurant started up. It was like having a room exposed to a noisy hotel lobby. Poly is my #1 choice of all WDW resorts.

FWIW, we stayed at the Contemporary for the very 1st time ever last fall. Always wanted to stay there, but probably never again. Everything about staying here was wonderful, except the noise. Especially when the music from Chef Mickey's restaurant started up. It was like having a room exposed to a noisy hotel lobby. Poly is my #1 choice of all WDW resorts.
My family loves the Wilderness Lodge but I've been trying to stay at some of the other resorts. Poly and GF are my next favorites. Basically I just love being at Disney!

I’ve stayed at both Poly (club level) and Contemporary (garden wing). I don’t particularly care for the aesthetic of the Contemporary. What was really special about the Poly was being able to see the fireworks and hear the music right from our room. We were on the 2nd floor of the Hawaii building, so we had no balcony, but there were still sliding doors that opened. Without being able to see the fireworks from the room, however, I’m not sure the Poly was worth the extra money. I don’t think I would pay the premium to stay there in a standard room. I prefer Grand Floridian. Contemporary was ok. I’m not rushing to go back. I prefer the Wilderness Lodge over the Contemporary. My favorite resort is GF and I think Wilderness Lodge is the best value. It’s so much cheaper and the boat ride to MK is super convenient.

I prefer the Poly to the Contemporary and would choose it most times of the year but not summer. There is like zero shade between the longhouses, I’m sweating just thinking about hauling luggage from the main building in the July sun. At the Contemporary you’re straight into the AC and then up an elevator with a relatively short walk to your room. Poly does have a better pool but in July not even sure how refreshing that would even be.

You can’t go wrong with either I think. I prefer Poly over Contemporary. They are both great though!

Have you looked at renting DVC points to stay at Poly? There is availability still and the price likely much better. It also puts you furthest from the construction of Poly Tower, and closest to TTC which comes in handy for both MK and Epcot. You can get Poly for $360 a night. The summer is starting to quickly fill the past few weeks so asap is best.

People are renting at $18 per point and Sun-Thurs nights cost 20 points. Fri and Sat nights would be 23 points x $18pp = $414 a night. A week would cost $2,628 - including taxes, parking, etc. Or 5 nights Sun checkin to Fri checkout - $1800 :) Might even be able to find a $16 or $17pp, but $18 is pretty common for bookings within the following 7 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter