Poly is an ok resort

Although poly is in the ok bucket for me, I think it may become an avoid when the tower is up. I’d be very worried what foot traffic at the resort is going to become in that area. Imagine getting into ohana with 1000 more nightly visitors on site. I do recognize the tower will get food too, but still a worry

also worried how transit is going to work especially monorail. I’d wager Disney will have to start letting trains through the poly station to give gf guests a chance to get on the train during peak hours. the Monorail is going to become a nyc subway car during rush hour

the tower in my view has the potential to really mess things up at poly if dvc doesn’t do things well

I have to say, Poly is my second favorite resort behind Beach Club. I do agree that the removal of the waterfall and koi fish was aggravating (we have many great pictures in front of that waterfall), but it is still a great resort. I love the theming. And for those that say the theme is more "kitschy" than authentic, that's the point!! Aulani is the "authentic" Polynesian themed resort, while Poly is the "Disney-fied" Polynesian themed resort. Emotions play a lot into things, and we have so many fond memories of Poly that I am glad some suit in some office hasn't decided to completely overhaul the resort. I love that they have, for the most part, kept it the way it was designed. I love walking through the property at night with a cocktail...you feel immersed.

I am a little concerned that Poly2 will completely ruin the Polynesian. We'll see what happens and I am hopeful Disney doesn't butcher the resort. Based on the new Poly2 plans, there will really be no break between Polynesian and Grand Floridian, so I am not sure how much I will like that...I like having the resorts separated a little more. I was investigating a Poly resale until they announced the Poly2, now that is on hold until they announce which association they Poly2 will be in and if there will be restrictions. Buying resale right now is way too risky.

You couldn’t pay me to stay at riviera though. Funny how different people are
That's how we feel about BLT. We toured BLT and we were there for under 5 minutes. We walked through the "lobby" and checked out the pool area and quickly realized we would never want to stay there. But I know many people love BLT. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Buying resale right now is way too risky.
As a new resale owner I may be a bit biased, but I just don't see the risk others are seeing. Unless you are concerned only about the ability to stay in the new tower. But we just had our first stay in the existing resort and absolutely loved it. I was never able to afford it in the past, and staying there for about $200 a night vs $900 cash was awesome! And if the price drops on the old resale when the new tower is released I'll be buying some more!

Unless you are concerned only about the ability to stay in the new tower.
That's exactly the concern. If I am going to buy Poly, I would like to be able to stay in one and two bedrooms after Poly2 is built. There is also another concern...

I am like you and I love the current Poly. However, why would I buy resale right now? If Poly2 is indeed its own association, the resale price on the "current" Poly will drop...a lot (and rightfully so). Like you said:
And if the price drops on the old resale when the new tower is released I'll be buying some more!
So I would be kicking myself for buying Poly at its current resale prices if I can end up getting it for, I don't know, $30-$40 less per point after the association is announced.

The positive would be a scenario where you buy Poly resale now and Poly2 gets rolled into the same association. But that is risky if you are someone who will want to stay in Poly2, because if it isn't the same association then that was a gamble that went wrong.

I am assuming you bought Poly before Poly2 was announced, considering how long it takes to go through the resale process. If I had already bought Poly before the Poly2 was announced several weeks ago then whatever...I didn't know about Poly2 at the time. I would still be happy with my purchase. But, IMO, buying Poly resale now is too risky. Waiting to see what happens is the better option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter