Poll (statistic) on TSA checking

WAS YOU LUGGAGE CHECKED BY TSA IN YOUR LAST FLIGHT?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

MICKEY'S DREAMERS

WDW or Hawaii? This is the question!
After the flight to the Cruise, I discovered that my luggage was checked by TSA, and my stuff had minor damages. I understand that they do their job in our interest, so I am not complaining, but I am curious to know how offen it happens. The "poll" function of the board is suitable to gather this small statistic. So my question is: in the flights before/after your Cruise was your luggage checked by TSA? Yes/ No ?

No, not on the cruise, but one of our bags was checked by the TSA last month before our flight to Hawaii. No big deal, everything was fine. :)

A click on the question on the top of the thread (yes/no) should allow a statistic.
Please click there.

I am not sure of the answer. At our airport we have the lugguge screener and we have been flagged the last 3 flights for this. I can't tell if everyone goes through this or not. Our lugguge has not been handled yet that I know of. Also, my dh is wanted by the Sheriff well not him but his name is. We have a very common last name and he has a very common first name. So, the last 3 flights he did he had to wait for his name to clear. So, it has been taking us 3 hours to get through the checkout part.

Tina

Tina, you would know if they opened your bag, they leave a note inside.

And Mickey's Dreamers, I DID vote on your poll. ;)

On our truip to FL. last week, it was checked both ways. No problems to report.

Mickey's Dreamers, you may want to clarify your poll...do you mean was your BAG OPENED and checked by TSA? I can't believe that this many people have had their bags opened. Everyone has bags CHECKED and X-RAYED by TSA, that is standard, but if you mean did they open your bag to do a search that's a different question. I answered it as to mean "did they open your bag to do a search before or after your last cruise?" Is this what you meant?

Are you sure the damage was from TSA and not the baggage handlers? When we boarded the cruise soon after 9-11, one of my garment bags came open accidentally and a formal dress was "run over" by the baggage checkers that Disney sub-contracts with at the port. At least that is what I assumed, since the handler whisked the luggage off as we checked in, unbroken. When we got our luggage and I went to unpack, the lock (twist tie) was broken and the filthy, damaged dress stuffed back in. (DCL did quickly clean and repair the dress.) As Michelle asked, please clarify what happened. TSA now does a check on every checked bag, at least where I have flown. Even if you check curb-side you have to follow your luggage to a TSA official who will scan your luggage in front of you before it is removed to the airline check-in.

Carla

My suitcase was opened and they left the note. So was my daughter's suitcase, and hers was a Barbie suitcase!! hehe

Ursula

Yep, mine also last week, when I opened it to unpack, there was a note in it, a slip of paper. All 4 of them were inspected.

Now (at least here in Michigan) after you check in you have to take your luggage directly to a TSA official who scans it with a wand and takes test for explosives (or so they told us). And we have to stay there until they are done. Before this practice was instituted, on our last cruise in Oct 2002, our locks were literally removed and not put back on. There was no note from TSA...so one can only wonder if it was TSA or baggage handlers. Since there are only 2 keys made that open all luggage locks (and trust me..all handlers have them)....we don't even bother locking our luggage anymore. Just make sure nothing of value is inside them!!!

ONE OF OURS WAS OPENED AN CHECKED, COMING BACK FROM ARIZONA IN APRIL AND THEY DID LEAVE A NOTE INSIDE THE CASE. WE USE THE CABLE TIES ON OUR SUITCASES NOW AND THEY DID PUT ONE BACK ON. WE USE THE MULTI-COLOR ONES AND COULD TELL INSTANTLY THAT IT HAD BEEN OPEN AS IT HAD A WHITE ONE ON IT. BUT NOTHING WAS MISSING OR MESSED UP.

In the past 9 months, I've flown internationally twice and my husband has flown domestically at least a half dozen times. None of our luggage has ever been opened by the TSA.

Coming back from our May cruise we had one of our three bags opened and the note left. We used cable ties (lime green ones) on them and it wasn't replaced, but nothing was missing our out of the ordinary and the note was left.

Coming home from St. Louis in June, my bag was opened, with a note inside. No damage.

The last two times I've flown home from Chicago (Midway), they have opened my bag and searched it. I think it's the power cord for my laptop - a square metal thing - that must look suspicious. But I don't mind at all ... I'd gladly wait in the security lines and have my bags opened if it stops just one nut from harming anyone.

On our trip to Jamaica in July, one of my DH's luggage was searched by TSA. It was wrinkled up a bit, but nothing was damaged.

Do you hate your job? Imagine being the one rummaging thru everyone's "undies" on the return trip!!
I think I'll have a better attitude when I go to work in the AM :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter