Please tell me why Dessert but no appetizer with Dining plan?

The $5 was the low end for a TS dessert... the others are what you would buy at any resort gift shop or food court... and yes, they are snack credits.

I would agree, that high sugar, calorie laden treats are all around... you only need to look at the DIS to see what people long for the most... i thought the thread about the cupcakes was a real killer! :lmao: But if you can eat it, then everything in moderation... and it is vacation :goodvibes

There's a cupcake thread????? WHERE?????:cool1::worship:

This unhealthy eating woman needs to find it fast before I go to Disney! I'm planning on going unhealthy, all the way!:rotfl2:

I would agree, that high sugar, calorie laden treats are all around... you only need to look at the DIS to see what people long for the most... i thought the thread about the cupcakes was a real killer! :lmao: But if you can eat it, then everything in moderation... and it is vacation :goodvibes

Exactly.

I'm pretty conscious of what I eat for 352 days a year (less X-mas, Thanksgiving, Easter and our quasi-annual 10 days at WDW), and I don't even throw caution to the wind for those other 13 days. But there are CERTAINLY things I will eat during vacation that I wouldn't eat, normally. Giant, yummy, Cupcakes included. :)

There's a cupcake thread????? WHERE?????:cool1::worship:

This unhealthy eating woman needs to find it fast before I go to Disney! I'm planning on going unhealthy, all the way!:rotfl2:

:rotfl2: You sound like me!

The dining plan works great for us because we do LOVE dessert while we are on vacation, but we normally don't get it when we just go out for dinner on a regular night at home. Infact, I don't have very many sweets in the house either. I just think it's part of the fun while we are on vacation and Disney makes some pretty darn good ones. :love: I don't see the harm in it, God knows we walk it off while we are at Disney. :laughing:

Havoc appears to have a problem with the dining plan because they didn't know, going in, that the (regular) dining plan didn't include salads but did include dessert and there was no way to substitute.

That's the thing with Disney, people often just buy what they're offered without checking out exactly what they're buying, and Disney itself is not a big help with that (that's why sites like this one get so much traffic). Now that he knows what it is, I doubt he will buy the plan again. I'm with him, I've done the plan, it's not for me, I won't buy it again.

But I'm not going to go so far as to say Disney should have some obligation to come up with a new plan for people like me who like to order three appetizers and no entree. Three different dining plans are difficult enough to follow. I just know now I don't need any Disney Dining Plan.

Havoc appears to have a problem with the dining plan because they didn't know, going in, that the (regular) dining plan didn't include salads but did include dessert and there was no way to substitute.

That's the thing with Disney, people often just buy what their offered without checking out what they're buying, and Disney itself is not a big help with that (that's why sites like this one get so much traffic). Now that he knows what it is, I doubt he will buy the plan again. I'm with him, I've done the plan, it's not for me, I won't buy it again.

But I'm not going to go so far as to say Disney should have some obligation to come up with a new plan for people like me who like to order three appetizers and no entree. Three different dining plans are difficult enough to follow. I just know now I don't need any Disney Dining Plan.

I think your summary is fairly accurate. And I probably wouldn't do the meal plan again, but I don't want to say that definitively until after my next trip.

And to be perfectly clear, I don't think Disney is "obligated" to offer more plans. Nor do I think they should offer 1,500 different individually tailored plans. That said, I think they would be showing responsibility and leadership, if they did offer 1 or 2 more plans, or a bit more flexibility in the existing plans, that de-emphasize overindulgence.

Having nothing to do with the dietary issues -- I'm also quite upset that the booking website misled on the price of the plan, indicating that the price was "less than $42" -- and no itemized bill or correction ever appeared -- But I was actually charged $48. In this regard, I do believe that Disney was obligated to provide straight-forward and honest pricing.

Having nothing to do with the dietary issues -- I'm also quite upset that the booking website misled on the price of the plan, indicating that the price was "less than $42" -- and no itemized bill or correction ever appeared -- But I was actually charged $48. In this regard, I do believe that Disney was obligated to provide straight-forward and honest pricing.

This I ABSOLUTELY agree with. When I've priced packages online, it's always shown me the correct price based on the time of year. If there's a bug in the system that messed up what's displayed for 2011 then this is a big problem.

Since you're travelling in 2011, you can still change your package to not include the dining plan. It sounds as though it just doesn't suit your preferences. There's nothing wrong with that. If you want the prepaid aspect of the plan just take the money you were going to pay for the dining plan and buy a gift card that you can then use to pay for your food. This gives you all the flexibility you want without worrying about maximizing the plan vs healthy eating. You can order exactly as you want.

I'm also quite upset that the booking website misled on the price of the plan, indicating that the price was "less than $42" -- and no itemized bill or correction ever appeared -- But I was actually charged $48.

That's likely because you went during a "peak" season and was not informed about the "peak" prices for the regular dining plan. I agree Disney doesn't do a good job of informing guests about the facts regarding what they're paying for and what their prices are. They never have. There are still lots of folks who believe they have to book at least a 5 night stay for the free dining promotion, because that's what all the ads say. In reality you only have to book a 3 night stay. Disney doesn't clear this up in any form unless you happen to ask when you are booking.

I'm not interested in Disney's leadership or responsibility regarding how much anybody eats, personally. I am just glad I can still get food I want without having to get a dining plan at all.

Havoc, if you haven't made your dining plan trip yet (I thought you'd already made it), you can still call and remove the dining plan from your package - you would likely be much happier without it. Unless you've already decided that you still want the plan, even knowing how it works.

This I ABSOLUTELY agree with. When I've priced packages online, it's always shown me the correct price based on the time of year. If there's a bug in the system that messed up what's displayed for 2011 then this is a big problem.

Since you're travelling in 2011, you can still change your package to not include the dining plan. It sounds as though it just doesn't suit your preferences. There's nothing wrong with that. If you want the prepaid aspect of the plan just take the money you were going to pay for the dining plan and buy a gift card that you can then use to pay for your food. This gives you all the flexibility you want without worrying about maximizing the plan vs healthy eating. You can order exactly as you want.

I've already paid in full. I have emailed customer complaints, and inquired about refunding the price of the plan, or at least the price difference.

I just tried it again on the website, and when inputting peak dates in 2011, it continues to claim that the dining plan can be added for "less than $42 per day."

I invite anybody else to try out the Disney website, and see if they get the same result.

I think your summary is fairly accurate. And I probably wouldn't do the meal plan again, but I don't want to say that definitively until after my next trip.

And to be perfectly clear, I don't think Disney is "obligated" to offer more plans. Nor do I think they should offer 1,500 different individually tailored plans. That said, I think they would be showing responsibility and leadership, if they did offer 1 or 2 more plans, or a bit more flexibility in the existing plans, that de-emphasize overindulgence.

I don't blame you for being upset. They do have special pricing during the super busy times of the year, and it should be spelled out in clear terms how much it costs and what exactly you get for that money.

As for de-emphasizing indulgence, they keep trying. When we first went with children in 2005, they had more diet conscious items on the menu most places we ate at, for adults and children. The kids meals at CS places did not come fries, they automatically came with carrots and grapes with milk or juice to drink. We ordered a kids meal, we got the healthy sides. We didn't complain, cause the kids didn't. They didn't know any different and snuck fries from us. I don't know if you could substitute, because it wasn't spelled out really clearly on the menus. Same for TS meals - much more healthy sides without being super clear that you could sub for fries and soda. Now it seems to be assumed that kids will eat fries and soda and can substitute the healthy stuff. The change was made because consumers demanded it. You should have read the complaining on these boards then! How DARE Disney force them or their children eat HEALTHY on vacation. It's no wonder things changed.

That's likely because you went during a "peak" season and was not informed about the "peak" prices for the regular dining plan.

Not only does the website fail to indicate the "peak" price -- it doesn't even indicate the 2011 price. Instead, it still lists the 2010 price.

And at no point in the online booking process, is an itemized breakdown ever provided. Instead, you simply click "select meal plan" -- And then it updates your total. So unless you grab a calculator, take note of your grand total before you clicked "select meal plan," subtract it from your new total, and do some division, you wouldn't realize you were charged anything more than $42.
(Actually, if there are children in your party, you still wouldn't be able to figure it out, since you aren't told the prices for children during the booking process).

I've already paid in full. I have emailed customer complaints, and inquired about refunding the price of the plan, or at least the price difference.

I just tried it again on the website, and when inputting peak dates in 2011, it continues to claim that the dining plan can be added for "less than $42 per day."

I invite anybody else to try out the Disney website, and see if they get the same result.

Call CRO. You're still well outside of the point in time when you'd have a fee for making a change (45 days). You can remove the dining at this point with no penalty. If the CM on the phone can't help you then call back so you can speak with a CM who can help you.

The change was made because consumers demanded it. You should have read the complaining on these boards then! How DARE Disney force them or their children eat HEALTHY on vacation. It's no wonder things changed.

I can imagine. And I don't think anybody should be forced into anything. If a parent/child wants to eat fries, go for it!

I think it's funny that people have accused me of trying to force healthy food on people, when I've only talked about giving more options.

I am fortunate when it comes to my kids -- They *prefer* fruits and vegetables to french fries. In fact, my son is so tiny, at times I find myself pushing him, "okay.. enough carrots for now... why don't you eat a few french fries."

Not only does the website fail to indicate the "peak" price -- it doesn't even indicate the 2011 price. Instead, it still lists the 2010 price.

And at no point in the online booking process, is an itemized breakdown ever provided. Instead, you simply click "select meal plan" -- And then it updates your total. So unless you grab a calculator, take note of your grand total before you clicked "select meal plan," subtract it from your new total, and do some division, you wouldn't realize you were charged anything more than $42.
(Actually, if there are children in your party, you still wouldn't be able to figure it out, since you aren't told the prices for children during the booking process).

Just wondering:
I do not know when you are going, but did you try to book with free dinning or a room discount?

Unless you specifically try to get those discounts the website will give you the full price for everything.
You have to click through the special offer to book a special offer in my experience.

This is something I really dislike about the site.
I also dislike that when booking the package it hides things like the cost per night of the room.

BTW: I think there is tax on top of the price of the DDP. I think it is 6.5%, but I am not sure.

I can imagine. And I don't think anybody should be forced into anything. If a parent/child wants to eat fries, go for it!

I think it's funny that people have accused me of trying to force healthy food on people, when I've only talked about giving more options.

I am fortunate when it comes to my kids -- They *prefer* fruits and vegetables to french fries. In fact, my son is so tiny, at times I find myself pushing him, "okay.. enough carrots for now... why don't you eat a few french fries."

:lmao: you gotta love the kid! :goodvibes

I also dislike that when booking the package it hides things like the cost per night of the room.

BTW: I think there is tax on top of the price of the DDP. I think it is 6.5%, but I am not sure.

It's the hidden cost that really rankles me. It's like they are afraid to show you an itemized breakdown. They rationalize it by saying you are getting a "package" that includes the room, tickets, and dining. They don't explicitly tell you that the parkhopper costs $52 or whatever it is -- instead you have to figure that out on your own by comparing the price with the option, and without the option. You shouldn't need to sit there with a calculator to figure out what you're really being charged for different things.

And yes, I'm sure there is an additional tax added. I don't really have a problem with that. As advertised prices almost never include tax.

If you went into a restaurant and ordered the item that was listed as $42 on the menu -- you would still expect to pay tax and tip. But you would be pretty upset if when the check came, it was suddenly $48, and the waiter just explained "oh, the pricing on the menu is outdated... you should have done more research before you ordered."

Of course the standard for overweight changed over the years did it not?

For example a very healthy Marine or Paratrooper can be classified as overweight by the current standards even though they are not.

This is true. We would laugh because a few years ago, I was a elite endurance athlete, (having since retired.), by the standards they were putting in, I was overweight. :rotfl2: I was in better shape than 99.9% of the people in the world and yet was considered heavy for my height. :sad2:

If you went into a restaurant and ordered the item that was listed as $42 on the menu -- you would still expect to pay tax and tip. But you would be pretty upset if when the check came, it was suddenly $48, and the waiter just explained "oh, the pricing on the menu is outdated... you should have done more research before you ordered."

Guess I scared the legal department when I spoke with them recently. They have now changed the booking website, and no longer state that the meal plan is "less than $42"

Of course, now they simply give no pricing information, except for the total package.

Here is how we did the dining plan last year and solved the problem as an adult couple with no children along.

This was free dining last year. We only booked signature restaurants (2 credits)

We pay out of pocket for 2 appetizers, then ordered only 1 dining plan meal (1 entree and desert) and split that.

We got exceptional food and service that way. We found a GREAT deal for our counter service meals by eating at Pepper Market most days. We would arrive at the breakfast/lunch switchover time. DH would get his breakfast, I would get lunch.

So for the cost of a few appetizers, we got great meals and didn't feel full all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter