Please tell me about SSR kids activities

mariamard1

Mouseketeer
Has anyone had their kids participate in the kid "stuff"?? I did a search and was coming up empty. Can you tell me what SSR offers and around what times? Ages of kids?? Thanks so much for your help:banana: !

I didn't participate- but I can shed a little light for you.
When you check-in the will give you the "horsin' around" newsletter. It will list all the activities for the week. Organized games at the community hall, pool parties with a DJ, bingo, trivia contests, movies... There are also some free crafts and some crafts that have a fee for materials. They are all listed out for you. Some of the games appeal to the very young (such as Elefun in the Carriage House). It looked to me like there was something fun every day. I think these camp-type activities are so cute- and it really fits with the Saratoga theme of an Upstate NY resort. (Reminds me of the resort from Dirty Dancing- I know that was the Catskills- but you get my drift)

It looked to me like there was something fun every day. I think these camp-type activities are so cute- and it really fits with the Saratoga theme of an Upstate NY resort. (Reminds me of the resort from Dirty Dancing- I know that was the Catskills- but you get my drift)

We :love: the community hall activities at the DVC resorts and have participated at almost all of them (the only exception is BWV - the community hall was tucked away and we were so busy we never made it there!) We think SSR has the best community hall activities for kids outside of VB and HHI because it really has that "summer-camp" atmosphere. The Community Hall is right next to the pool, and they bring a good number of activities to tables outside, so they are visible from the pool area. The CMs were very involved w/the kids. This lets moms and dads sit and enjoy the pool while the kids do their thing. :thumbsup2

A sample from the week we were there:
Tuesday:
9:45 - Elefun (no fee)
10:30 -Make your own button( fee)
12:30 - Towel Animal Making Class (no fee)
2:30 - Make your own ice cream (fee)
4:00 - Pool Games (no fee)
4:30 - Souvineer Cups (fee)
7:15 - Watercolor Painting (no fee)
Wed 6/13
9:45 am - Make your own puzzle (no fee)
10:30 - Make your own wooden car (fee)
12:30 - Ceramics (fee)
2:30 - Pool Party/Family Games
4:00 - Pool Games
4:30 - Paint your own wooden top (fee)
7:15 - Create a beaded bracelet (no fee)

We had a great time at SSR....
Only in the parks 3 days out of 7....

My DD 5 loved community hall......
they had hungry hungry hippos....forgot how fun that is:lmao:
She did some crafts.....pool bingo....
tried hula hoop contest....not so good:lmao:

We rented surrey bikes.....she loved it....of course
she wasn't pedaling:lmao:

The pool is awesome......DD loved the zero entry.....she felt
so safe.....she started swimming underwater:love:

Pool slide was fun.....for me;)
There is a small toddler size slide at SSR also....DD liked that one...
Enjoy.
Kerri

I participated in the adult hula-hoop contest...no, I did not win.

DS9 & I were in the water-balloon toss & came close to winning.

DS9 did win the "Critter-Round" up game! :cool1:

My kids love the community hall and so do I. They are now 7 & 6 and have been visiting it for the last two years and look forward to it again this January.

They have played goofy bingo
decorated t-shirts
back packs
photo frames
painted ceramics - items to choose from were photo frames, tiles, mugs, pet dishes, cappicino mug, mickey head christmas tree ornament, ariel ornament etc.
decorated mickey shape magnets
towels animals
bead jewerally
scrapbooking pages

Outside organized activites hosted by the community hall we enjoyed
Poolside Bingo
water balloon balloon
kids retrieve toys from bottom of pool
hula hoop contest...dh participated with kids :rotfl2:
water bucket challenge (kids teams fill up a water jug by passing a bucket with holes from the pool to the jug) This was hilarious, the bucket was sometimes empty by the time it made it tothe end ofthe line!

We spend alot of time at the resort as it is so much fun!

Is Community Hall just one room in size? We stepped inside just for a moment while kids were in the pool, but did not particpate in any activities while on grounds. We wondered if there was enough room for all of the kids or are there more rooms?

TIA

How much fun!! We are soooooo excited!The girls cant wait to go to the "kids clus" as they call it. They are comparing it to the activities in the Disney Magic.Thanks for all of your detailed responses. :goodvibes

Is Community Hall just one room in size? We stepped inside just for a moment while kids were in the pool, but did not particpate in any activities while on grounds. We wondered if there was enough room for all of the kids or are there more rooms?

TIA

There is the front room with the computers, large screen tv, game tables and then a second, larger "craft room" that connects to the activity check-out window by the pool.

Another note: if you want to rent videos (free to DVC members), the community hall is where you go now. Moved recently from Artist's Pallete.

We played the poolside Disney Trivia (and won). Inbetween they had dancing contests for the kids and right after they played Marco Polo. Another day we found a group playing bingo in the sitdown area of Carriage House. It was a very young kid-friendly version wit colors and pictures.

Wish I spent more time doing the arts & crafts though. My free days I was taking long walks around or jumping in the pool. There's a ton of stuff to do at SSR.

Check out that Horsin' Around schedule as soon as you check-in. It's in your Welcome Home pack. The day you have scheduled a down day, they'll have something different for you like every 15-30 minutes.

We're looking into staying at SSR in August - switching from Royal Plaza for the most of the trip (long story). No, we don't own DVC :sad2: But can get an AP discount there for a good price.

Do they have activities every day there? That sounds like fun, as we go to the parks some days but not all (we go frequently and have really seen most of Disney but still love it :) )

My kids are 8 and 10 years old - are they too old to have fun? Do you have to sign up in advance? The games and crafts that have fees: how much are they typically?

Thanks in advance!

Do they have activities every day there? That sounds like fun, as we go to the parks some days but not all (we go frequently and have really seen most of Disney but still love it :) )

My kids are 8 and 10 years old - are they too old to have fun? Do you have to sign up in advance?
Thanks in advance!

There are activities every day, but they vary....check the schedule to see which ones you'll enjoy the most. Your 8 & 10 year olds are not too old for some. They'll enjoy the water balloon toss, hula-hoop contests, Disney trivian, & Bingo...just to name a few. All of those games are poolside & you don't sign up in advance. We would just be in the pool every day around 2:00 or 3:00 & would notice them entering the pool area & setting up before the games. (You'll see them there...they come & set up in between the steps & whirlpool at the main pool).

They even had Pin Trading one day, over by Artists' Palette. They displayed pins on a big board & kids could come up with their own pins & trade whatever they wanted.

Can you rent boats from SSR? We didn't get to stay long enough to explore the water area.

TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter