Please, please, please reassure me....

global_mom

DIS Veteran
Just need a little moral support and reassurance about our very recent purchase into DVC ownership.

We have been sooooo excited about owning DVC and then I read some negative reports about the DVCs on another board, and then I saw threads about issues with mousekeeping, then read some threads about problems with wear & tear, then read some threads about not getting dates that you want, then got myself all worked up and questioning our decision.

PLEASE tell me that we will love DVC and that the mentioned problems are just little things that dont distract from the joy of ownership. PLEASE tell me that DVC is a sound investment that we will love for years to come. We have put so much money into our DVC purchase and I am really nervous!!

Thanks for the reassurance!!!!!!

First, it's not an investment and you really shouldn't look at it that way. It's basically prepaid vacations and over the long run you do save money, but it's not an investment.

We have no regrets at all. We bought 2 years ago, have taken 3 trips so far and enjoy planning the next 2 so far. Unless buying DVC makes it financially difficult for you for day to day expenses, I don't think there is anything bad about a DVC purchase.

It is a lot of money up front, but my dh who is very frugal (as am I), crunched all the numbers and now we enjoy much nicer accommodations than we ever would (I always had hard time paying more than value resort prices - after all you only sleep there, right?).

I haven't heard many owners who regret purchasing DVC. Congratulations.

If there is no financial strain then you made the right decision. DVC is the best way to enjoy Disney for many years to come. Take some time reading the countless threads on all the boards talking about how great vacationing is at DVCs. There will always be a few folks out there that cannot be pleased. If you are not one of them then welcome home!!!! Enjoy, Relax, and may the planning begin!

Absolutely, No regrets. We love DVC and you will too. Don't read to much into bad reports, usually someone just had a bad day or something, I don't know. All the resorts are beautiful , every now and then (through human error) there might be a room that was not as clean as it should have been, or maybe something broke, but a quick call to maintenance clears it up. Just sit back and enjoy many years of wonderful vacations.

I remember feeling the same way shortly after I purchased and began reading some negative threads on the boards. My 1st trip was scheduled 5 months into the future and I worried about what I had read. As it turns out, I was worried for no reason. The resort I stayed at was great, my room was great and every other resort I visited was in great shape. Think of it this way - this is Disney and they have a reputation to protect. The worst you'll see at Disney is still better than average at many other places. Relax - and spend your time planning a great visit home (or several)

I remember feeling the same way shortly after I purchased and began reading some negative threads on the boards. My 1st trip was scheduled 5 months into the future and I worried about what I had read. As it turns out, I was worried for no reason. The resort I stayed at was great, my room was great and every other resort I visited was in great shape. Think of it this way - this is Disney and they have a reputation to protect. The worst you'll see at Disney is still better than average at many other places. Relax - and spend your time planning a great visit home (or several)

Ditto!!

We just spent our first DVC vacation and are planning to add more points we loved it so much!! In fact, we were even happier with it than we thought we would be (thus the add-onitis). Trust me. . .you will LOVE it.

Plus, always try to keep things in perspective. Even if a few minor glitches occur every once in awhile, that is so normal. I think a lot of people scrutinize the resorts, the CMs, mousekeeping, etc. more carefully because they do have that sense of ownership and they care where their $$ has gone.

Granted I am still a newbie, but a VERY happy one!!

Enjoy your good decision and money well spent!!

Ellen

Remember............1/7th of Snow White's friends was Grumpy; it's probably the same proportion on the Dis-boards.:rolleyes1

Think of all the 6/7th's that are Happy (yes, I know that some are Sleepy, Dopey, Bashful............yada, yada, yada..............):rotfl:

DVC is a great way to visit Disney. Over the long haul you will save big time. As far as an investment, it is in your family. Other small things are dates of travel, well more than likely you will always get your dates but you may not get the resort of choice. Planning in the key to success, do not try to plan 3 months out and expect to get everything you may want. Lastly the condition of the resorts......well they do get used a lot. But Disney has been refurbishing the rooms and so far we have not had any troubles in our travels...... You will end up loving it!
Brownie

Count me in with the others- if you didn't have to sacrifice to buy into DVC, then you'll love it. I don't know that I'd ever have borrowed money to buy DVC because vacations aren't something I'd ever borrow to do. But I really love having these points to spend as I wish and to be able to treat other people to the joy that we know is Disney.

We are fairly new owners, too. We bought early last year and have done two trips with DVC points. Two more trips are already booked. I LOVE planning so this DVC purchase is perfect for me.

many DVCers are upset about a number of people with value reservations getting upgraded. And if I owned DVC, I would probably be upset, as well.

But, DVC is a very good timeshare. If you read DVC reports over on Tug2.net (Timeshares Users Group), you will see that even the most experienced timeshare owners view DVC as a very good choice--and one of the few timeshares that does not tend to depreciate greatly like many other timeshares do.
Disney is a great family vacation spot, and staying at DVC further compliments the experience by having more space and villas, plus kids activities, etc.

Most choose DVC b/c they want to be on-property and have the benefits of disney buses, EMH, etc. and want more space than the hotel rooms provide. I do not own DVC ONLY b/c we vacation with parents who already own several Orlando timeshares---but, if not, I would be buying DVC in a heartbeat--enjoy and don't worry--as with most things, I bet that people who are happy and satisfied wiht DVC represent 90%+ and typically don't take time to post about it.
ps--Re. wear and tear---every hotel, condo, timeshare faces this--they all have a regular refurbishment schedule--soft goods, furniture, repainting, appliances, etc.--$$$ from maintenance fees is held in reserve to pay for this.

Thanks everyone for the great replys! I feel better already.

We are pleased to be DVC members and it does not result in any financial burden so I will hopefully relax and just enjoy.

I am a MAJOR planner so I do really love that aspect of DVC.

Thanks again!

I am a MAJOR planner so I do really love that aspect of DVC.

Ahh, a fellow geek, eh? I have a spreadsheet laid out with points calculations to year 2014. I find myself thinking about this stuff every day. Sure wish I could earn a dollar on it. :laughing:

I not sure what other boards you read, but in my expereince these boards tend to be about the most negative out there.

My advice, one open only half the threads, two divide all horror stories by 2. Rule One of message boards. Folks only post when they aren't happy so if 200 people go someplace and 198 have a good experience what you see are the two (who think getting a Handicapped Accessible room is a violation of their contract) Rule two of message boards. Some folks are unrealistic and expect Disney to worship the ground they walk on and then get upset when they don't. I have heard a DVC member "berate" a CM more then once about how since they "bought DVC they OWN part of this place" YEAH RIGHT! Rule 3 (DIS only) Realize that some posters seem to not know what they bought. These are the posters who about this time every year get very upset that Disney is NOT giving them FREE dining to stay in thier DVC rooms. Or who are upset that Disney is upgrading folks to "their" resort (ever heard of marketing???) Or who get upset because Disney does not give them free tickets, free parkhopping, whatever the deal of the month on Disney.com is..... (And if CRV does not come to pass soon some folks on these boards may go into cardiac arrest LOL!)

(I have stayed at all of the DVC's except Vero and never had a bad expereince. The only one I don't like is HH, but the resort itself is nice it's the location that I find horrid!)

We've had wonderful DVC experiences. I usually have upbeat trip reports and the last time, I think it was Granny, who commented that he wanted to say something before the thread disappears, as positive threads tend to do:goodvibes I never gave that a thought. If you have a problem, I've learned from here that you try to deal with it as it's happening, if it's important enough to complain about afterwards.

Gosh, I enjoy it all. When I was at SAB 2 weeks ago, I thought "this is the best" later that week, we were at Vero, and I went swimming and I thought "this is the best." Vero was special, it was 8 in the morning and I had the whole pool to myself for most of 45 minutes! There have been so many more "wow" experiences than even mildly problematic ones.

Bobbi:love:

I not sure what other boards you read, but in my expereince these boards tend to be about the most negative out there.

My advice, one open only half the threads, two divide all horror stories by 2. Rule One of message boards. Folks only post when they aren't happy so if 200 people go someplace and 198 have a good experience what you see are the two (who think getting a Handicapped Accessible room is a violation of their contract) Rule two of message boards. Some folks are unrealistic and expect Disney to worship the ground they walk on and then get upset when they don't. I have heard a DVC member "berate" a CM more then once about how since they "bought DVC they OWN part of this place" YEAH RIGHT! Rule 3 (DIS only) Realize that some posters seem to not know what they bought. These are the posters who about this time every year get very upset that Disney is NOT giving them FREE dining to stay in thier DVC rooms. Or who are upset that Disney is upgrading folks to "their" resort (ever heard of marketing???) Or who get upset because Disney does not give them free tickets, free parkhopping, whatever the deal of the month on Disney.com is..... (And if CRV does not come to pass soon some folks on these boards may go into cardiac arrest LOL!)

(I have stayed at all of the DVC's except Vero and never had a bad expereince. The only one I don't like is HH, but the resort itself is nice it's the location that I find horrid!)

Listen to CarolA. She said a mouthful!!:thumbsup2

DVC is one of the best decisions my family has made in a long time. It's great for us now, and will be great for us for many, many, many years to come. People will always find something to complain about and others just need to vent about something that seemed big at the time, but in the grand scheme of things isn't enough to turn them off of DVC. All things Disney seem to be wonderful and amazing, but Disney isn't perfect so there will be a few non-wonderful and unamazing things that slip in. But overall, being a DVC member is truly owning a piece of the Disney magic.

We have owned since 1997 and have never regretted it. We generally find the rooms in good repair, and if we do encounter a problem, we report it immediately and it is taken care of promptly. We find the staff at all the hotels to be generally nice and accomodating. Is there an occasional cranky CM? Of course. But often I find that people respond to how they are approached.

We have had minimal negative experiences, and even the "negative" experiences have not been earth-shakingly negative...more like annoyances. I think there are some people who can never be satisfied.

I am feeling much better!

Has anyone out there ever gotten tired of going to Disney? Does the magic seem to diminsh over the years that you have owned DVC? I know that is a very strange question. I have been 17 times to WDW and cant imagine getting sick of it but you never know. I also work in an industry that connects me to Disney every day so I worry that I will get Mouse burnout. Ever had that happen? Maybe I just need to buy even more points..... :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter