Please list other high end tour operators, trying to compare prices and trips

Momof3greatkids

Mouseketeer
With Disney prices on a steady increase, and my 12 year old no longer qualified for a child discount, I am trying to look at other options. I am trying to compare other trips that would have the same type quality and excellent reputation as Disney. I don't know if I can find a better price, but it is worth a look. We have loved ABD, but are finding it more and more difficult to afford it.

I know about Tauckbridges, and Ambercrombie and Kent. Can anyone else please let me know of other good tour companies to consider? Any info would be appreciated, and I think a good list might be of benefit to many posters.

I have subscribed to newletters from lots of companies. The prices for companies that are comparable and all (or mostly) inclusive, like ABD, are not really all that different, although some companies do offer return guest discounts or special offers (more often than ABD). Here are some I can think of, but I'm probably leaving out a lot.

Austin-Lehman (they're US trips looks great, but they European trips seem to be mostly cycling trips, which doesn't appeal a lot to me)
Classic Journeys
Butterfield & Robinson (really expensive)
Thomson Family Adventures
Lindblad/National Geographic
Wildland
Myths & Mountains

Thanks for the list. At least I can look and see if there are any different places locations to think about or activities that might appeal to a tween boy. He doesn't think to much of pony rides, fairy tale castles, etc. We are looking for awesome adventure!

Also, I saw awhile back you where going to Yosemite with Tauckbridges. How was that?

I posted on another thread about it. It was a very nice trip. My biggest issue was not enough time in Yosemite Valley and feeling rushed during the time that we were there. But it was a trade off for having nicer accommodations than are available within the park. Overall it was a good trip. As I reflect on it, I think part of the reason that I didn't enjoy it as much as our last ABD was my own fault. I wanted my DS to make good friends like he did in Alaska last year and forget about the iPod but he didn't bond as well with the other kids, although he did have a good time with them on occasions. He only used the iPod on the bus, so I don't know why it bothered me so much, except that last year he played cards and talked with the kids, so I was hoping for something similar. Since he didn't hang out with the other kids as much on the Tauck trip, I was afraid that he was't going to have a good time and I stressed over it. Next time, I'm not going to worry about it because he had a good time anyway.

Here is a link to Travel & Leisure's Top tour operators for 2010. I got this in an email a few days ago from Classic Journeys. There are a couple that I hadn't heard of before.
http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/2010/air-cruise-more/tour-operator-safari-outfitter/30

How upscale are you talking? I've been on ABD and only consider them upper mid-range. National Geographic Expeditions is in the same category. I've never been on Tauck Bridges but in my opinion, the regular Tauck tours are a step below ABD. I've also been on cheaper tours like Globus and let me just say never again. I've never been on Smithsonian Journeys, but I've heard from people who have been on their tours that it is excellent.

Also, where do you want to go? Different tour operators specialize in different locations. For example, my favorite luxury African tour operator (when I can afford it) is Micato - http://www.micato.com/?gclid=CNytpb3mm6MCFRs2gwodzAXxnw

Bobo912, thanks for the update. I managed to miss your trip report. I will have to look for it. I know sometimes kids just seem to bond, and have alot in common. We hope for the same think for our youngest son. His siblings are older, so he is our only one traveling with us now. Since he doesn't have his sibilings along, I am always hoping he will find other kids to hang out with because I think it makes it alot more fun. Thanks also for the link.

Beachbunny, I am looking outside the U.S. because I love to see different places, and feel like I am getting added value with a tour operator because it would be much more difficult to get around on our own in a foreign country. I am looking at places like China, Israel, Egypt, more exotic places. I have thought about South America and South Africa also. Since I have a growing boy, almost a teenager, it has to have action and adventure or amazing sights, to keep him interested. I have been blessed to have spent alot of time in Australia and New Zealand, so I am not planning on that part of the world because I have been. But, it is an amazing place to go.

I probably can't go much more upscale than Disney because of the price. I won't go below that because it is just now worth it to do a cutrate bype of package, after experiencing better service, etc.

Bobo912, thanks for the update. I managed to miss your trip report. I will have to look for it. I know sometimes kids just seem to bond, and have alot in common. We hope for the same think for our youngest son. His siblings are older, so he is our only one traveling with us now. Since he doesn't have his sibilings along, I am always hoping he will find other kids to hang out with because I think it makes it alot more fun. Thanks also for the link.

Beachbunny, I am looking outside the U.S. because I love to see different places, and feel like I am getting added value with a tour operator because it would be much more difficult to get around on our own in a foreign country. I am looking at places like China, Israel, Egypt, more exotic places. I have thought about South America and South Africa also. Since I have a growing boy, almost a teenager, it has to have action and adventure or amazing sights, to keep him interested. I have been blessed to have spent alot of time in Australia and New Zealand, so I am not planning on that part of the world because I have been. But, it is an amazing place to go.

I probably can't go much more upscale than Disney because of the price. I won't go below that because it is just now worth it to do a cutrate bype of package, after experiencing better service, etc.

On our Tauck trip, we were the only family who wasn't a return guest. There were two families who had been on 8 trips. One piece of information one of the grandfathers passed on to me was that he had taken his kids when they were growing up and more recently his grandkids on the regular Tauck trips (non-Bridges) and the kids had a great time. Thought I would mention that since Tauck offers lots of destinations all over the world, but Bridges not very many.

BTW...at this point I am strongly favoring Lindblad/National Geographic for our trip next year.

Momof3: It looks like you're looking at a variety of very different locations. In that case, the bigger tour operators may be what you're looking for - once you limit your geographical area, you can start looking at smaller operators who specialize in one location. ABD and National Geographic are both in your price range and do an excellent job. FYI, I'm going to South Africa with ABD next year.

If you ever feel adventurous and want to strike out on your own, I recommend going to East Africa (Tanzania and Kenya) and doing a private safari. A good operator can arrange a private tour (just your family and a driver/guide for your entire trip) at whatever your price point. I used Hippo Creek Safaris to follow the Great Migration a couple of years ago and can't praise them enough. http://www.hippocreeksafaris.com/yoursafari.html

Finally, a lot of countries are relatively easy to navigate and safe. For those countries, I usually just book my own flights, hotels and city day tours in advance and go with the flow. I've done this all across Europe, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong, etc.

Momof3 - I saw you have Abercrombie and Kent on your list. No personal experience there, but I will tell you that one of the families on our Southwest Splendors trip last year had done a couple of A&K family tours. She said the ABD really suffered by comparison. She had boys, too. Apparently the A&K set up was just fantasticly suited to active kids, and they really pampered the grown ups as well.

We personally are looking at a Classic Journeys trip for next year. They seem to have the family thing down pat, and offer a nice discount for teenagers.

I would also add Backroads to the list of family tour operators. They are more active, outdoor activity oriented, and often have options of Premiere Inns, Casual Inns or Deluxe camping as lodging options (and corresponding price points).

Thanks so much for all the info. It gives me alot to look at and think about. We are commited to a DCL Alaska next year with all our kids along. But, I am excited to do some research so I can either plan a late 2011 or a 2012.

A&K is very nice, but I think it's out of OP's price range if ABD is at her top end. For example, and these are not the same experiences, but A&K Galapagos is over $10,000 versus ABD is $5,000.

A&K is very nice, but I think it's out of OP's price range if ABD is at her top end. For example, and these are not the same experiences, but A&K Galapagos is over $10,000 versus ABD is $5,000.

The A&K Family Galapagos trip ranges from $6695 to $7595 for adults and $5340 to $5595 depending on category of stateroom. The regular Galapagos trip is the same price but they have a $500 discount on some dates. They seem to always have some sort of discount available on a limited number of trips to various location. But I'm like Momof3, ABD is near the top of my budget, so I'm not sure I would be willing to pay the extra for A&K. But I would like to take one of their trips someday for comparison. Occasionally they have a sort of reverse auction where they offer certain trips and every 30 minutes the price is dropped (up to a max of 60% off) or until the trip is sold.

Added note; I went back to A&K's website and checked the 2011 prices and they've gone up. It's now $7160 - $8145. Their itinerary is more like National Geogrpahic's than ABD's, where visit more of the islands, rather than spending time on the continent in Ecuador.

With Disney prices on a steady increase, and my 12 year old no longer qualified for a child discount, I am trying to look at other options. I am trying to compare other trips that would have the same type quality and excellent reputation as Disney. I don't know if I can find a better price, but it is worth a look. We have loved ABD, but are finding it more and more difficult to afford it.

I know about Tauckbridges, and Ambercrombie and Kent. Can anyone else please let me know of other good tour companies to consider? Any info would be appreciated, and I think a good list might be of benefit to many posters.

Momof3greatkids,

Please note that I have never been on an ABD or any other tour of this type. I have been reading this board since our trip to WDW as we consider what kind of trip we will be doing in 2012. I found the list of tour operators very useful and while minding an exam decided to compare these companies in terms of what they offer and the prices (I was interested in the following destinations: Egypt, Galapagos, Greece, Japan or Tanzania). In almost all occasions, with all of the companies on that list, the child discount applied to children under 12. Just thought I would clarify that.

I haven't been on a trip with them, but I did exchange quite a few emails with them earlier this year when I was researching trips. They were very friendly and responded quickly to every question I had. I was quite impressed. They offer a discount once they get 6 people on a trip and a bigger discount once there are 11 people booked. If you are one of the early bookers who pay full price, they refund the discount amount once bookings reach the 6 and 11 milestones. They also offer $250 discount if you complete their online survey and a $500 per family return guest discount. Their trips look very similar to ABDs and in some cases use the same accommodations. I believe they were the first company to offer "family" style trips and that is all they do. I would love to try one of their trips, but typically they are just a bit more expensive than ABD so it's hard to jusify. If they would offer some fall or spring break dates, I would be very tempted, since
that is something ABD doesn't have.

One more thing...they have smaller groups sizes. Their groups are limited to 25 people and they make an effort to schedule you on trips that have kids of similar ages as your own, if you're interested in that.

Ditto to what Bobo just said....Thomson Family Adventures has been extremely responsive to any questions asked, and you get a very "personal" feeling from them. The discounts they offer are also very attractive. I have been seriously considering them for a future trip, possibly to Egypt.

Regarding Tauck Bridges, we just returned from a trip to Costa Rica with them, and with the exception of the pins, snacks and picture CD that ABD gives, there was nothing missing or anything that ABD could have done better. It was a very good quality alternative to ABD in our opinion.

Ditto to what Bobo just said....Thomson Family Adventures has been extremely responsive to any questions asked, and you get a very "personal" feeling from them. The discounts they offer are also very attractive. I have been seriously considering them for a future trip, possibly to Egypt.

Regarding Tauck Bridges, we just returned from a trip to Costa Rica with them, and with the exception of the pins, snacks and picture CD that ABD gives, there was nothing missing or anything that ABD could have done better. It was a very good quality alternative to ABD in our opinion.

I guess it's not standard procedure for Tauck Bridges, but our tour director made photo CD's and passed them out at the farewell dinner, which was a very nice touch. And we also got a patch specific to our trip. And the group photo taken by a professional photographer. And we had lots of little contests along the way where the TD handed out prizes. So TB offers their own style of special touches.

kjd469, after you wrote that your TB Costa Rica trip was one of your top 3 trips ever, I started looking at the itinerary and I want to do that trip too! But I've already been to Costa Rica with ABD, and there are so many other places I want to go, I'm going to have to put that wish on hold for awhile. But it does look like a fun trip.

kjd469, after you wrote that your TB Costa Rica trip was one of your top 3 trips ever, I started looking at the itinerary and I want to do that trip too! But I've already been to Costa Rica with ABD, and there are so many other places I want to go, I'm going to have to put that wish on hold for awhile. But it does look like a fun trip.

I know the feeling...so many destinations...so little time (and my money tree hasn't started growing!);)

Another to look at is Discovery Adventures, (discoveryadventures.com) which is afflilated with the Discovery Channel. In the fine print, it shows the trips are operated by Gap Adventures.

From the descriptions, these trips may be a little more rugged than some people would enjoy. Limit of 16 on each trip, and with the exception of the family South African safari where the minimum age is 5, it appears the minimum age is 12 for all other trips. The prices look really reasonable, but I don't think these could be considered in the same class as Disney.

I have not taken a trip with them, (did the Galapagos ABD last year) but they do offer some of the same destinations as ABD. I am debating between them and Tauck for a South African trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter