Please help - questions regarding FP and staying off-site

staci

DIS Veteran
We got a good deal for flights in January, and have reservations off-site at a Marriott timeshare. My children are contemplating Universal, but I really want to do Disney, as it has been far too long. I have a fair amount of Disney dollars from our credit card.the fast pass/wristband system has been evolving and I am so out of the loop. Please help me, Disney gurus! :) We will fly in late on Thursday and leave on Tuesday evening, so only 4 full days in the parks.

So what I need to know:
Can we still get wristbands if we stay off site?
How soon can I book the fast passes once we buy the passes?

Thank you for any and all insight! I have been out of the loop since our last trip in Spring 2014, which is disappointing because I use to be so in the know!

Staci :)

Anyone can purchase a magic band.
Its just that onsite guests are given them at no extra charge as part of their room reservation.
After you purchase and link tickets you'll see a 30 day rolling window.
You'll be able to make FP+ selections at 7am eastern 30 days in advance one day at a time.

We got a good deal for flights in January, and have reservations off-site at a Marriott timeshare. My children are contemplating Universal, but I really want to do Disney, as it has been far too long. I have a fair amount of Disney dollars from our credit card.the fast pass/wristband system has been evolving and I am so out of the loop. Please help me, Disney gurus! :) We will fly in late on Thursday and leave on Tuesday evening, so only 4 full days in the parks.

So what I need to know:
Can we still get wristbands if we stay off site?
How soon can I book the fast passes once we buy the passes?

Thank you for any and all insight! I have been out of the loop since our last trip in Spring 2014, which is disappointing because I use to be so in the know!

Staci :)

Yes, you can get MagicBands if you stay off site. We always stay off site, and I think everyone in our family has 3 or 4 each...LOL

You can book FP+ 30 days in advance of each day you will be in the park. Not to worry, you'll still have plenty of selections available.

Just FYI, MagicBands are not required to use the FP system. They are convenient, but you can just use ticket cards instead.

As others have said, you can book FP as offsite guests 30 days in advance, as long as you have tickets linked to your My Disney Experience account.

You don't need a Magic Band to use FP+ as you can use your regular ticket card. The only real advantage of a Magic Band is that it also has long-range capabilities which are used for certain ride photos and a few other little tricks (like how they know where you sit at Be Our Guest lunch). If you plan to use something like Memory Maker, then a Magic Band can be a good investment, but if you don't care about ride photos, then it's not that big of a deal.

Note, for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Frozen Ever After there are no post-ride monitors or gift shops to buy th ephotos at and they can only be seen online if your Magic Band was read.

You guys are awesome; you answered questions I didnt even know to ask! Does anyone know offhand how much a magicband is to purchase? The had just been released on our last trip and they were definitely convenient.... thinking with an 11 and 14 year old it might be easier. They want their freedom from mom but I can totally see them losing a card!

You guys are awesome; you answered questions I didnt even know to ask! Does anyone know offhand how much a magicband is to purchase? The had just been released on our last trip and they were definitely convenient.... thinking with an 11 and 14 year old it might be easier. They want their freedom from mom but I can totally see them losing a card!

Plain colored ones are about $13. Character and other special design ones are more.

Look them up on Disney Store or the Shop Parks app. They vary by design, but the basic (cheapest) ones are $12.99.

So sounds like you already have magic bands from your last trip?
If so you can still use them.
If you want new ones you can look on the Disney Store website for prices and colors/designs and could purchase ahead of time.

Interestingly, when I bought my AP, MDE let me make FP+ reservations (30 day rolling window) immediately even though I hadn't activated it yet by using it to enter a park. Not sure about day passes, but I would imagine they should be the same. I find the MagicBands very convenient and well worth the $12.99 for basic colors ($23-28 for characters) even if I didn't get a few for free as with my AP and resort stays. I would skip the $48 Epcot F&W ones, though.

Keep an eye out on Disneystore.com for MagicBands. A couple weeks ago that they some of the themed MagicBands for $6.xx.

As an aside, we always stay at one of Marriott's timeshares (Harbor Lake), and we love it! The location is perfect, and having a kitchen and plenty of space makes the trip enjoyable. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter