Pleasant hotel in San Diego area ?

Robindianne

DIS Veteran
Christmas afternoon we are flying to San Diego for 3 nights before heading up to DLR. We have a view room at DL Paradise Pier and so are spending more there than we'd have wanted but, well, you know, it's Disney.

So, we don't want to spend quite so much while in San Diego, but, also, you know, it's Christmas so I don't want a motel 6 either (no offense to M6). Anyone have suggestions for a pleasant place to stay that isn't the Hotel Del Coronado but isn't depressing on Christmas either?

Thanks so much :wizard:

I'd suggest the Hotel Del Coronado if I hadn't read in your post about spending too much at Disney (but then again, who doesn't?! LOL). If you can find something affordable on the island of Coronado, JUMP AT IT! It's a great area, the beach is wonderful, and the sunsets are just all that with a bag of organic chips. :)

I'd suggest the Hotel Del Coronado if I hadn't read in your post about spending too much at Disney (but then again, who doesn't?! LOL). If you can find something affordable on the island of Coronado, JUMP AT IT! It's a great area, the beach is wonderful, and the sunsets are just all that with a bag of organic chips. :)

Thanks Minicoopercraig. I'm checking it out right now.

Christmas afternoon we are flying to San Diego for 3 nights before heading up to DLR. We have a view room at DL Paradise Pier and so are spending more there than we'd have wanted but, well, you know, it's Disney.

So, we don't want to spend quite so much while in San Diego, but, also, you know, it's Christmas so I don't want a motel 6 either (no offense to M6). Anyone have suggestions for a pleasant place to stay that isn't the Hotel Del Coronado but isn't depressing on Christmas either?

Thanks so much :wizard:

Why not rent a house on the beach?

Try Penny realty: http://www.missionbeach.com/

Hmm...at Christmas I'm not sure what the rates are as compared with the Paradise Pier, but here are a few suggestions in varying price ranges:

Catamaran Resort - right on Mission Bay, with a nice tropical setting
Bahia - also right on Mission Bay - it's more of a high-rise with maybe not as much atmosphere as the Catamaran.
Humphrey's Half Moon Inn - on Shelter Island - nice grounds.

Here are several choices in the Hotel Circle area, where just about every chain you can think of is represented (including Motel 6! :-) )

Crowne Plaza San Diego (formerly Red Lion Hanalei) - another hotel with more of a tropical theme.
Doubletree Club - I know they serve hot chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon!
Residence Inn - one of my favorite chains, though I haven't stayed in the San Diego one.

I agree with a previous poster that someplace on Coronado would be nice to stay if you can find something - though I don't know what's there other than the Hotel del! :-)

The Dana near SeaWorld is great. On the Bay...no beach, but you're on the water and they have a great walk around the water.

I'm currently at the West Inn and Suites in Carlsbad. The neighborhood is beautiful, as well as the hotel. There's a heated pool and spa, free parking, free breakfast (hot and cold). #1 on Trip Advisor for Carlsbad. We stayed at Hotel Circle last time we were in SD and my family did not like it. The kids kept asking to go back to Anaheim. The kids love this hotel and say it's their favorite this trip (this trip we stayed at DLH and Magic Castle Hotel).

If you want to stay near the heart of SD, I'd suggest the Holiday Inn on the Bay or the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown. They're both within a block of the SD Maritime Museum. If you get a Bay view room at the Holiday Inn, you can look over the Star of India and any cruise ships that come into the terminal. It's right across the street. The Hampton Inn is a block away. I've stayed at both and they're nice. The Hampton Inn does hear the Amtrak blow it's horn as it travels through an intersection or two right behind the hotel, but it stops at a decent time of night and doesn't start too early. Very comfy places, both of them.

If you would like to stay at a moderately priced hotel in La Jolla, then I suggest The Empress Hotel. It is located right in the village within easy walking distance of restaurants, galleries, and the stunning La Jolla Cove.

If you decide that you want to spend more money, then the Grande Colonial in La Jolla is nice. I have also stayed at the Marriott Marina downtown and can recommend that as well. The Marriott is on the harbor across from Coronado Island and easy walking distance to Seaport Village and Horton Plaza shopping center.

Here is a picture of the outside of the Grande Colonial:

558624894_53dcf19155.jpg

If you want to stay near the heart of SD, I'd suggest the Holiday Inn on the Bay or the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown. They're both within a block of the SD Maritime Museum. If you get a Bay view room at the Holiday Inn, you can look over the Star of India and any cruise ships that come into the terminal. It's right across the street. The Hampton Inn is a block away. I've stayed at both and they're nice. The Hampton Inn does hear the Amtrak blow it's horn as it travels through an intersection or two right behind the hotel, but it stops at a decent time of night and doesn't start too early. Very comfy places, both of them.

The Holiday Inn hears the cruise ships blow their horn, often quite early in the morning and in the afternoon. Still, I would stay at the Holiday Inn on the Bay again. It has a good location.

What kind of a drive is it to Sea World, the San Diego Zoo, and the other San Diego attractions from the Del? I'm trying to get a feel for that, it looks close if I am looking on mapquest, but as we all know what mapquest says and what is reality are often two different things. TIA!

I booked a best western on Shelter Island. Its a 15 minute ride to downtown San Diego though. Shrugs.

Can I be so bold as to join in this discussion, we are looking for a nice hotel (3-4 diamonds) but are concerned about driving as we are from the UK, is there anywhere central that is walkable to most places? :)

Can I be so bold as to join in this discussion, we are looking for a nice hotel (3-4 diamonds) but are concerned about driving as we are from the UK, is there anywhere central that is walkable to most places? :)

San Diego is somewhat spread out. If you are interested in being close to the Zoo and downtown shopping, then I suggest that you stay at the Marriott Marina. The Gaslamp District and Horton Plaza are within easy walking distance of the Marriott. You would have to drive or take a bus to Balboa Park, the Zoo, and Sea World. There is a water taxi from the Marriott to Coronado Island across the bay.

If the beach is important to you, then I suggest staying in La Jolla. I have stayed at the Grande Colonial and The Empress (see my comments earlier in the thread; of the two, I recommend the Grande Colonial). Both properties are a short walk to one of the most beautiful beaches in California, as well as many restaurants, galleries, and boutiques. The aquarium at Scripps Institute of Oceanography is a short bus ride away. The same bus will also take you to University Town Center shopping mall.

In July we visited San Diego for our Honeymoon and also drove up to Disneyland. While in San Diego we stayed at the Best Western Hacienda in Old Town and really enjoyed it. The views from here were amazing. It was also nice to walk into Old Town and have a Margaritta -food was very good too. We also spent 2 nights at the Crowne Plaza (formerly Red LIon Hanalei) and although the hotel was nice we did not like staying in Hotel Circle.

In Anaheim we stayed at the Candy Cane Inn and liked it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter