Plastic Parts - kitchen Faucet

See, I learned something new today. I didn't know Grohe existed. Love the bathroom faucet!

I also found this, which seems to explain the difference between the 2 makers. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0319421614471.html

My parents have the Hansgrohe rain shower head and love it. Hansgrohe used to sponsor triathlons that my dad helped run so that's my connection to the company.

Thanks for the link. I figured they must be related somehow.

Once you try their products, you're hooked. Funny thing though, when we were waiting in the airport in Barcelona at the end of our Med cruise, I used the ladies room and the sink faucets were Grohe. We were all surprised to see them in an airport of all places but I guess it's like seeing a Ferrari in Italy; they're everywhere and not such a big deal. Like seeing a Corvette in the US. :thumbsup2

We just bought an all-metal manifold for the bathroom. It was much more expensive than the plastic alternatives and had a small leak. The replacement was leaky too. We were given the choice of living with the small drip or returning the manifold and getting our money back. Even all-metal plumbing parts aren't high quality. At the same time we bought a new shower head. It is all plastic and works perfectly.

I guess it's bad of me to think most appliances and hardware like faucets are disposable nowadays.
I was going to have our washing machine repaired when it broke down Monday and the price of the replacement parts cost 3/4 of the cost of a new machine so we just went shopping and bought a new washing machine instead. It was just delivered a few minutes ago.

I've changed out my kitchen faucet about every 5 years between parts breaking and me getting tired of the style and wanting something different.
I've been feeling the need for a change of faucet coming up soon.............

I guess it's bad of me to think most appliances and hardware like faucets are disposable nowadays.
I was going to have our washing machine repaired when it broke down Monday and the price of the replacement parts cost 3/4 of the cost of a new machine so we just went shopping and bought a new washing machine instead. It was just delivered a few minutes ago.

I've changed out my kitchen faucet about every 5 years between parts breaking and me getting tired of the style and wanting something different.
I've been feeling the need for a change of faucet coming up soon.............

It is a trend I am fighting. I really think it was a contributing factor to the economic crisis a lot of people started suffering in 2008. Yes, Cell Phones and TV's on the market today have features that they didn't have 2 years ago, but why not wear something out first.

Full disclosure, my family car is 27 years old and the TV in my Living room is 19 years old.

Utilizing an iVIGA kitchen faucet is a delightful experience of efficiency and aesthetics. The sleek design and effortless handling provide a sense of modernity and control. The precise water flow and temperature adjustments make daily kitchen tasks a breeze, while its elegant appearance elevates the overall kitchen ambiance with a touch of contemporary style.

This is why I usually just buy some off brand at Amazon - the stuff at Home Depot is not any better and the stuff at the pluming supply store is very overpriced.

As long as its something you can easily replace yourself I don't see the point of buying a brand name - and honestly most of the "quality" stuff is crap. The valve we installed for the diverter did not last 5 years - now it sort of works - the plastic part snapped so it spins - and its too difficult to replace so we just don't use it. I need to take a look at that - but I am pretty sure its not a simple change out.

I had a friend who is a plumber so I got his prices at the supply store - and on most items its still higher than Amazon - the guy at the supply store was amazed at the cost difference for the same model Moen faucet - he was paying more for it. Amazon can also get it to me much quicker.

Its the same with many thing you buy at Home Depot, Walmart etc.. Its a cheaper version of the exact same thing. From what I have heard even the DeWalt products are made with cheaper parts at the big box stores.

In the end I can buy a very nice faucet for $45 at amazon and change it every 5 or 6 years (if needed) and come out ahead in the long run and have a nice new faucet.

It is a trend I am fighting. I really think it was a contributing factor to the economic crisis a lot of people started suffering in 2008. Yes, Cell Phones and TV's on the market today have features that they didn't have 2 years ago, but why not wear something out first.

Full disclosure, my family car is 27 years old and the TV in my Living room is 19 years old.
Yeah - unfortunately it seems the stuff is built to fail. Its a disposable society.

5 years is the best you can hope for on many appliances it seems - so its just out of the extended warranty.
Sometimes you can keep the stuff running - but they make it harder and harder to repair as well.
The new refrigerant they use in many things you don't even want to mess with - its butane - at least my old refrigerator I can recharge every few years and it works like new.

I keep my 20 year old Ford Explorer running because the new explorer is way overpriced and very poorly made.

I was at Ferguson's recently and the guy in the plumbing section told me about a customer who was insisting the faucet he had purchased from a big box store was identical to the one they sold, which was a tad more expensive, due to the same model number.

The Ferg guy told him to bring it in, and they would weight them and if indeed they were the same, he would GIVE him the faucet for free.

The guy brought it in, they weighed and sure enough, the ferg faucet was considerably heavier due to all the brass parts.

Lesson learned.

I once called a large faucet company and asked about this very thing and she confirmed the big box stores sell faucets with the same model number, with plastic parts.

We now avoid those faucets.

I was at Ferguson's recently and the guy in the plumbing section told me about a customer who was insisting the faucet he had purchased from a big box store was identical to the one they sold, which was a tad more expensive, due to the same model number.

The Ferg guy told him to bring it in, and they would weight them and if indeed they were the same, he would GIVE him the faucet for free.

The guy brought it in, they weighed and sure enough, the ferg faucet was considerably heavier due to all the brass parts.

Lesson learned.

I once called a large faucet company and asked about this very thing and she confirmed the big box stores sell faucets with the same model number, with plastic parts.

We now avoid those faucets.
So a salesman at the Ferguson store told you that a competitor had crappy merchandise?? That's shocking.

The big box stores for as long as I can remember have never sold the same quality as plumbing supply stores.
I bought a Moen bathroom set 20 years ago the shower set was from a plumbing supply store no issues but a shower head as the low flow ones clog. HD sold the entire shower set for less then the shower valve alone. The faucet was from HD and after 12 years and replacing multiple parts bought a new one being that one is almost 8 years old I bought a spare but not Moen this time.
Moen will send you parts for free so long as you have proof you bought it. Delta is the same but Delta is better. Price Pfister also better then Moen but will charge you shipping. I however have replaced nothing more than the shower head with Delta free and Price Pfister Kitchen the hose for the pullout faucet both are 20 years old also from big box stores. I would stay far away from Moen from big box and lower end/price Delta and PF.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter